The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A long time with my amps... time to complain? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th July 2003
Lives for gear

A long time with my amps... time to complain?

Oi.

I really dig the funky little guitar shop I left my guitar amps at for repair...

... about 2 months ago. The owner/second tech is very cool and will spend the time to explain guitar history, plus it's a joy to listen to him play. There are very cool old guitars hanging all over the place.

The trouble is, the guy keeps giving me the same line for what sounds like a simple fix: replace the output transformer in a Fender Musicman. "My tech will look at it this weekend." Every week for the last 6-7 weeks...

... and I let him take in my Duncan Convertible, which has something wierd in the power supply (intermittent low bumping around sound). That's going on three weeks now.

When do you complain?

I need the amps back now, but it looks this this could go on indefinitely.
Old 10th July 2003
One with big hooves

Totally, I'll agree with that. The guy I bring my amps to is usually 2 weeks, sometimes 3 but if it's that far he'll let me know when I bring it in. If I need it faster I'll tell him and he pushes it ahead for me. I bought a Tele about two weeks ago and it had a high fret so I brought it back to the dealer to get filed. It sat there for over a week and I picked it up today and just did it myself with some sandpaper. It was 1/6th of one fret, took all of 30 freakin' seconds to do.
Old 12th July 2003
Lives for gear

He's told me one of them should be ready by tuesday or wednesday, and no - he didn't say anything intiailly that it would take this long.

He used the "my tech will look at it this weekend" bs again, so I have my doubts.

There's good techs who take a long time, and shops that are just plain hard up for business. I'm not sure which one his shop is yet.

Either way, 2 months is about a month too long, at best.
Old 12th July 2003
Lives for gear

Why dont you just give the guy a final deadline for when you need them by and if he flakes on you, take them elsewhere...
Old 12th July 2003
Lives for gear

Because I'd have to pay a $25 bench fee for each amp, anyway.

If they're not done by the third week of this month, I've already considered eating the $50 and taking the amps elsewhere.

... Although I think it's bs having to pay anything when no service was performed.
Old 12th July 2003
Gear Head

You have to pay this guy $25 each because he "benched" your amps for two months? Take your two or three BIGGEST friends down to his LITTLE guitar shop and ask for your gear back. When he asks for his $50, tell him you'll have your tech take a look at that over the weekend.
Old 12th July 2003
Gear Head

Try Hal at Guitronics, he is the Fender amp guru in San Francisco. If he quotes a slow turn-around it is because of the workload.
Old 13th July 2003
Gear Nut

Quote:
You have to pay this guy $25 each because he "benched" your amps for two months? Take your two or three BIGGEST friends down to his LITTLE guitar shop and ask for your gear back. When he asks for his $50, tell him you'll have your tech take a look at that over the weekend.
now thats some funny...... but real ****heh

i would get the amps back and have someone else look at them.
i had 3 of my old fender amps re caped and tubed in buffalo ny and it took less then a month....and they sound great!
Old 14th July 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try Hal at Guitronics, he is the Fender amp guru in San Francisco. If he quotes a slow turn-around it is because of the workload.
I'll second that. When I'm too busy to do it myself, Hal's the guy. I tried another "name brand" guy up in San Rafael once who did NOTHING and charged me $85; and another "name brand" guy on the peninsula who ruined a great Marshall for $100, then charged me $20 to put it back the way it was.
Old 15th July 2003
Lives for gear

Well, IME, this kinda thing is pretty much par for the course.

I've got 3 guys locally who are the gurus of their respective fields:

Guy #1 is the tube amp guru. Great ear, great mods. He can pretty much make any tube amp into anything you want it to be. Unfortunately, he'll also take at minimum 2 months to finish your amp. If you're in a hurry and annoy him, add a few more months. If you really bug him, he'll just tell you to pick your **** up and refuse to work on anything from you, ever! Once in a while, he'll get excited about something and finish it the same day. Pretty rarely though.

Guy #2 is the electronics guru. Same thing, pretty much. If he's really interested in something, he may get to it in a week or so. Otherwise, it'll be a month or two.

Guy #3 is the guitar guru. Fabulous work. Takes forever. Literally. I've got friends who have been waiting over a year on major projects he's doing... Everyone is aware of it, but his work warrants the wait. Just don't take him your main ax if you aren't prepared to leave it for the duration.

All of these guys are well-established, and will flat-out refuse to take anything they don't want to work on. I really have no idea how they got so established with their current MO... I'm guessing they develop these common 'traits' AFTER they've achieved guru status!
Old 15th July 2003
Lives for gear

Today's the day of reckoning. The Fender should be done, the SD I'm told has more serious problems. That's a bummer 'cuz I bought it off ebay, and the seller's dishonesty earned him his 1st negative feedback. fuuck Some of the preamp modules were unsuccessfully 'modded' and need to be replaced!

In any event, I won't take anything to his shop for repair again, and word of mouth might lose him some business. I'll let my slutz know how it went later.

Also, hey juniorhifikit what studio are you with, or do you freelance?
Old 15th July 2003
Lives for gear

I freelance. Sometimes I mix at my friend Ari's place in San Raphael (Laughing Tiger?), sometimes Hyde Street, sometimes at home (Junior Hi-Fi Kit). I also do some post/film work, usually at this place called Transmedia. Lately, I've been writing for BMG artists in Germany. How 'bout you?
Attached Thumbnails
A long time with my amps... time to complain?-studioa.jpg  
Old 15th July 2003
Lives for gear

I'm up in San Rafael at my place, called Cauldron Audio.

I used to hang out at Laughing Tiger alot with my friend Monica who worked there. Cool live room. Do they still have the SSL?

Some of us local gearslutz have talked about meeting up. If you're down, let me know. We might all meet at my studio sometime in the near future.
Old 15th July 2003
Lives for gear

I had a friend bring my 68 Fender super to a local amp 'guru'... well after a bunch of calls and attempts to get him to work on the amp he finally said he couldn't fix it... I went out to his 'shop' way out in the woods to pick it up... it was under a tarp, along with a bunch of other amps...

The amp was full of rust and mildew!!! ...considering Florida summer humidity, I guess I'm just lucky the amp didn't melt... at least he didn't charge me...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search