The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sick of Mackies.. What about Adams?
Old 24th October 2010
Sick of Mackies.. What about Adams?

Hi all,
I have been mixing with HR 624's for about 7-8 years. My mixes always tend to be problematic in midrange and light in low mids. Checking the mixes on a lot of other systems was a must to compansate since you can't know how it will be translated.
Now I'm on a new project which I'm producing. I came to the mixing stage. Done some rough mixes... I decided I realy don't want to go on with my mackies any more. I know it is not very wise to change the monitors in the middle of a production but I feel that over years I became less sensitive to high registers and mackies are making it worse. You can't focus on the details, there is always a big body(meat) like a blanket hiding transients and other important data. And you get tired very quickly during the mix..

So.. I read all about Adam S2x's on this forum. People rave about S3x-h, write a lot about A7(x) but there is not much about S2X.
I don't have the money for s3x-h or above. S1X seems too small for mixing comercial releases.
Would it be wise to upgrade to S2X? I know its sound is very different but I think I need something different. I need to hear highs and mids without being hursh, be comfortable around low mids. I produce jazz mostly and rock sometimes. I will have a week to get used to the new monitors and then I need to start finalizing my mixes.
Acoustics is another important issue but I'm interested in monitor suggestions. Specially S2X..

Thanks
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

I love Adam loudspeakers, but I heard a pair of these IPL S5TL Mk 5 TRANSMISSION LINE

powered by a Naim amp (not sure what model though) at my mates house and they are incredible. I much prefer them to my 805's, old TB2's and will be getting a set in the next few weeks, after Chrismukah...hopefully. I was dumb-struck at how good they are, unfathomable at the price point. I would choose these any day over s3a's or s2a's, but that's just my taste I suppose.
Old 24th October 2010
Adam A8x

The A8x could be an option for you. They're basically an A7x with an 8 inch woofer - a fuller sound with excellent bass and high end extension. Of course, all of this means diddly-squat if you're not monitoring in a good space...which could be the problem.
Old 24th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sHOWpONY View Post
The A8x could be an option for you. They're basically an A7x with an 8 inch woofer - a fuller sound with excellent bass and high end extension. Of course, all of this means diddly-squat if you're not monitoring in a good space...which could be the problem.
Would you choose A8X over S2X? My main issue is translation to other systems. Sub content is not that critical in my productions.(below 45-50)
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baykush View Post
Would you choose A8X over S2X? My main issue is translation to other systems. Sub content is not that critical in my productions.(below 45-50)

I personally think the A7X's are slightly more balanced than the A8X's, but I would go with the S3X's over the S2X's if you can - though I swear the other speakers I suggested are in another realm if done right. Even if I'm not working on sub or bass heavy music, I still need to know it's *not* there
Old 25th October 2010
Gear Head

I own a pair of Adam S2X and i'm very happy about my puchase. After working nine months with these, I can say these translate pretty well to other systems. Switching from Genelec 1029/8040 to Adams wasn't that difficult and it was a good decision for me. Don't get me wrong, I love both brands but Adams are a little bit easier to listen to.

Last week I compared my S2X speakers side by side with the S3X. Oh my... S3X were much better, but way too expensive for me at the moment. I'd say if you like Mackie speakers, you're gonna fall in love with Adams. SX series speakers are very accurate.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
I love Adam loudspeakers, but I heard a pair of these IPL S5TL Mk 5 TRANSMISSION LINE

powered by a Naim amp (not sure what model though) at my mates house and they are incredible. I much prefer them to my 805's, old TB2's and will be getting a set in the next few weeks, after Chrismukah...hopefully. I was dumb-struck at how good they are, unfathomable at the price point. I would choose these any day over s3a's or s2a's, but that's just my taste I suppose.
Great tip thanks. Im seriously considering buying these and building them. In one of the reviews for these the guy says they are just as good if not better than his B&W's costing 10k!.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

I just bought a pair of A7's as there are some closeout deals on them right now...love the clarity in the midrange. I have a sub with these along side my ASP8's and the adam's seem to give me much better translation than the events did. With the sub there is plenty of bass, but I think they would do fine without a sub.
L.
Old 28th October 2010
Gear Head

I would go with a pair of S2X
Old 28th October 2010
Deleted User
Wow...

How is your mix room treated?

That is a more important question than which monitors you're using.

If your room isn't accurate, how can you expect your monitors to be accurate?
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Also just noticed that MF dropped the price on A7's to $419 each from $449 in case anyone is interested. They even credited me back $60 after the sale...love that.
L.
Old 30th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
Great tip thanks. Im seriously considering buying these and building them. In one of the reviews for these the guy says they are just as good if not better than his B&W's costing 10k!.

Honestly, these speakers are f*cking amazing. As I mentioned, they're not as pretty as some of the other kits out there (Wilmslow Audio etc), but sonically, they really are high end, the bloke has obviously put a ton of effort into the design and miraculously somehow kept the costs down. I've only heard a stock set powered with a naim (?), but even they were incredible, I really clicked with them in a big way (the room was good). The performance is (imo) waaaaaay over the Twin 6, TB2SA, 804/5's, S3A's, 0300's etc when powered with a good amp, plus they really go down to the depths of the bass. I'm going to get 2 of them at first and see what mods can be done (like stuffing the TL port and sorting out the internal wiring) and eventually build up a 5.1 setup during the new year, probably going to get 2 16" subs to get right down there. I can't actually wait to do this, really looking forward to delving into 5.1 mastering and mixing.
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surbitone View Post
Honestly, these speakers are f*cking amazing. As I mentioned, they're not as pretty as some of the other kits out there (Wilmslow Audio etc), but sonically, they really are high end, the bloke has obviously put a ton of effort into the design and miraculously somehow kept the costs down. I've only heard a stock set powered with a naim (?), but even they were incredible, I really clicked with them in a big way (the room was good). The performance is (imo) waaaaaay over the Twin 6, TB2SA, 804/5's, S3A's, 0300's etc when powered with a good amp, plus they really go down to the depths of the bass. I'm going to get 2 of them at first and see what mods can be done (like stuffing the TL port and sorting out the internal wiring) and eventually build up a 5.1 setup during the new year, probably going to get 2 16" subs to get right down there. I can't actually wait to do this, really looking forward to delving into 5.1 mastering and mixing.
Surbitone you're not the only one looking forward to

building some of those beasts. Incredible, the best value for money in

the World if what I've been reading here and elsewhere is true. Cant

wait to get in there and get my hands dirty too thumbsup.
Old 31st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
Monitors might not be the real problem.
Just sounds like bad ears in a bad environment.
Not a good situation to start throwing money into.
Best solution stick with the Mackies and tough it out, then find and fix ther real problem.
Your ears, your room, your monitors or all 3.
I don't like the Mackies either.
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Maniac

I love my Adams...

I use the p11A as nearfield monitors - very transparent but I fear I need to get a sub, too, because I can't really hear what's happening down there below 50Hz...

but they go for around 400-450 used (each)

I know the S3-X well and they are awesome - but a totaly different price range compared to the A7X...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search