The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The Otari Concept Elite Owners thread
Old 7th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I've been using my C1 since 2009, I've had minor issues most of which were dumb and easy fixes other than that it sounds great and works every day.

I'm happy for you!
definitely adjusted a bit will work this too!
.., or I'll probably use it as an ornament !!
but slowly ...to slowly ..pacience to pacience ..I will make it reborn!!

regards

Ivan
Old 7th March 2018
So happy things are starting to work for you and your Elite
Make sure you have defined your I/Os correctly. There are several options including dynamics or no dynamics etc
Old 17th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYSGUY View Post
So happy things are starting to work for you and your Elite
Make sure you have defined your I/Os correctly. There are several options including dynamics or no dynamics etc
Hello SkySGUY ,
yes indeed I realized that my console and without dynamics installed ...
I corrected the modtyps
in: C008 (x 32 time)
and edit config NNNNNNNNNNNNANNNNK
so I exclude the dynamics.
I asked you if you could send me a picture of the dynamic card because his old owner of 'OE + told me that in the middle of the box with the spare there would be the dynamic card but I do not recognize it!
I thank you if you could send me a photo of the card.

cuoristy...!!!!! do you know if there is a special command, trick (which only the programmers know) for OE + example to move the lights, or the meters?
(sometimes you need to press two or three keys) or start a command from dos.

all the best

IC
Old 18th March 2018
Quote:
I asked you if you could send me a picture of the dynamic card because his old owner of 'OE + told me that in the middle of the box with the spare there would be the dynamic card but I do not recognize it!
Let me see what I can do for you. To be clear, one dynamics card can only run 4 I/Os and is mounted on the back of the 4 ch QPC - so you would need 8 dynamic cards for all 32 I/Os. Of course you can have less dynamics than I/Os. There is also another dynamics card that mounts behind the master QPC that (I think) is needed to run the entire system. It also provides dynamics to the 2 mix buss which is nice. All of this is then run by a seperate power supply
Old 18th March 2018
Lives for gear

Actually, it might be to all of your advantages to snap up any consoles that come up for sale nowadays considering their market depreciation. I saw a 32 channel Concept One for $5,500 the other day.

I have worked on these consoles and they are actually well thought out consoles as far as workflow goes and it has a decent pro sound to them. The pres and EQ are a little vanilla but that’s not a deal killer.

The two mods I have seen make the greatest difference in these consoles is a rework of the master section and either a complete component swap of the power supplies or I do believe there are aftermarket power supplies for these boards.

The power supplies for these boards were widely used in the 90s and were supplies for other consoles including the famous Amek 9098i console and a couple of other Amek boards. There is a wealth of information out there on those supplies if you do some digging.

The power supplies cause just about 100% of the intermittent problems. The problem is the rails in the console want to see +/- 12 volts and can withstand a little fluctuation but the power supplies can dip wildly in the amount of power supplied to the rails.

That causes the crazy fader problem, problems with the QTCs and the logic chips. I have stood over that console while measurements were taken of the power on the rails and it was not pretty how much they would swing in and out.

Fix the power supplies, make a sturdy PC for your Eagle automation (and keep a backup while you still can get towers that can run on XP) keep a clean and dry control room and invest in a few mods (the mic pres are moddable to an API style flavor and the master bus is moddable to fix the collapse at higher track counts when mixing hot) and you have a really nice console.

Y’all should get together and buy up a few of these consoles, share the cost and strip them for parts and divvy them up...

Just a thought....

pat
Old 19th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space1999 View Post
Actually, it might be to all of your advantages to snap up any consoles that come up for sale nowadays considering their market depreciation. I saw a 32 channel Concept One for $5,500 the other day.

I have worked on these consoles and they are actually well thought out consoles as far as workflow goes and it has a decent pro sound to them. The pres and EQ are a little vanilla but that’s not a deal killer.

The two mods I have seen make the greatest difference in these consoles is a rework of the master section and either a complete component swap of the power supplies or I do believe there are aftermarket power supplies for these boards.

The power supplies for these boards were widely used in the 90s and were supplies for other consoles including the famous Amek 9098i console and a couple of other Amek boards. There is a wealth of information out there on those supplies if you do some digging.

The power supplies cause just about 100% of the intermittent problems. The problem is the rails in the console want to see +/- 12 volts and can withstand a little fluctuation but the power supplies can dip wildly in the amount of power supplied to the rails.

That causes the crazy fader problem, problems with the QTCs and the logic chips. I have stood over that console while measurements were taken of the power on the rails and it was not pretty how much they would swing in and out.

Fix the power supplies, make a sturdy PC for your Eagle automation (and keep a backup while you still can get towers that can run on XP) keep a clean and dry control room and invest in a few mods (the mic pres are moddable to an API style flavor and the master bus is moddable to fix the collapse at higher track counts when mixing hot) and you have a really nice console.

Y’all should get together and buy up a few of these consoles, share the cost and strip them for parts and divvy them up...

Just a thought....

pat
I am VERY interested in this master section mod you speak of, i have run into that closing down problem and it is a big deal for me, i would love to fix that.
Where can i look for the information on this mod?
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post
I am VERY interested in this master section mod you speak of, i have run into that closing down problem and it is a big deal for me, i would love to fix that.
Where can i look for the information on this mod?
You would need to ask SKYSGUY for that information. His console was the one I heard the mod on.
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Hi All.

Is anyone using a MOTU MTP-AV with their Otari console? I need to get the timecode setup for my board and have an old MTP-AV laying about. If you are using an MTP-AV, any hook-up guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank,
Kyle
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosonic View Post
Hi All.

Is anyone using a MOTU MTP-AV with their Otari console? I need to get the timecode setup for my board and have an old MTP-AV laying about. If you are using an MTP-AV, any hook-up guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank,
Kyle
What are you using the timecode for? Just to sync the mix to the DAW?
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
What are you using the timecode for? Just to sync the mix to the DAW?
Yes. I want to get the Eagle automation up and running.
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosonic View Post
Yes. I want to get the Eagle automation up and running.
Do you care what the frame rate is? If so what? I can run you a track and you just import it into your DAW every session. Send to console, easy. You don't need a dedicated generator.
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Do you care what the frame rate is? If so what? I can run you a track and you just import it into your DAW every session. Send to console, easy. You don't need a dedicated generator.
That is really generous of you. Thanks! My clients projects are usually 25fps but I also get 24.97 and 30. I am still curious to hook up a dedicated generator, if only to go through the exercise of learning the process.
Old 23rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Adding another question to the pile. When I bought my OCE it didn't come with any cables, so I've have to investigate and build my own. I'm at the point where I have to build the cable harness for the underside of the patchbay and I can't find any reference in the manual or online that explains what the harness looks like. I was wondering if someone would be willing to snap a couple pictures of the underside of their patchbay so that I can see what parts to buy and solder together to make the harness? At present I only have 8 channels running and am using bulky DB25 cables. These cable are heavy and put a strain on the patchbay cards when the patchbay is in it's down position.
Thank you so very much!!
k
Old 6th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hello everyone..I'm new to this thread & looking into purchasing an Otari Concept Elite Plus 48 channel. I've been in the market for a while to upgrade from a Mackie D8B which I've actually had no problem with & have done many great sounding albums on. My main concern is the PC & hovernet cards issue & not having backups if then go down making the console useless. Can a Windows XP machine be loaded with Windows 98 to build a back up? Hovernet cards seem very hard to find as well which is a big concern. Do these consoles stand up in sound to some of the older pro analog consoles?

Thanks for any helpful info as it seems like a very cool desk just worrying about those issues & how it sounds. Thanks so much guys!
Old 9th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeytred View Post
Hello everyone..I'm new to this thread & looking into purchasing an Otari Concept Elite Plus 48 channel. I've been in the market for a while to upgrade from a Mackie D8B which I've actually had no problem with & have done many great sounding albums on. My main concern is the PC & hovernet cards issue & not having backups if then go down making the console useless. Can a Windows XP machine be loaded with Windows 98 to build a back up? Hovernet cards seem very hard to find as well which is a big concern. Do these consoles stand up in sound to some of the older pro analog consoles?

Thanks for any helpful info as it seems like a very cool desk just worrying about those issues & how it sounds. Thanks so much guys!
NO you cannot use Windows XP, not only that the software is VERY hardware specific, you need an old intel or AMD motherboard with 5400 rpm IDE drives. Soren Wittrup can build you a computer , as far as the hover net card goes yep they are rare, if you find a spare hold onto it. I've had my Concept One since 2009 and I make records with it, quite a few have been on the Billboard contemporary jazz charts.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

It's a great sounding console, and you should be able to make some great sounding music on it. Mine did, when I still used it before it failed on me, impart a distinct sound, dark-ish I guess you could call it, some might call it grainy maybe, whatever really. Best thing would possibly be to try it before you buy it. Or listen to records made on one.

Here's one I recorded long time ago. YouTube

I also know that Dave Fridmann used a heavily modded concept elite, look into his old productions.
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyberg View Post
It's a great sounding console, and you should be able to make some great sounding music on it. Mine did, when I still used it before it failed on me, impart a distinct sound, dark-ish I guess you could call it, some might call it grainy maybe, whatever really. Best thing would possibly be to try it before you buy it. Or listen to records made on one.

Here's one I recorded long time ago. YouTube

I also know that Dave Fridmann used a heavily modded concept elite, look into his old productions.
Thanks Nyberg for some feedback on it. That was a very cool track & sounded real nice. I track & mix mostly rock myself but love all styles. If I end up getting it I was thinking of adding some pieces on the master bus like a CLA approach. Possibly a Focusrite Red3 or an SSL Bus Compressor & some nice Pultec clones as I can't afford a pair of the real ones, lol.

I ran some stems through it & liked what it did to my mix. Added some nice space & air as well. Just concerned about the pc/digital side of it. It runs fine except for a dynamics issue they are trying to resolve.

Any other thoughts on it please do pass on along, it's great to hear as much as I can from users who know it the Concept Elite Plus. Thank you again very much.
Old 17th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks Nyberg for some feedback on it. That was a very cool track & sounded real nice. I track & mix mostly rock myself but love all styles. If I end up getting it I was thinking of adding some pieces on the master bus like a CLA approach. Possibly a Focusrite Red3 or an SSL Bus Compressor & some nice Pultec clones as I can't afford a pair of the real ones, lol.

I ran some stems through it & liked what it did to my mix. Added some nice space & air as well. Just concerned about the pc/digital side of it. It runs fine except for a dynamics issue they are trying to resolve.

Any other thoughts on it please do pass on along, it's great to hear as much as I can from users who know it the Concept Elite Plus. Thank you again very much.
The digital bit is the downside. I ended up not coping with it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search