The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format
Old 3rd January 2006
Lives for gear

This thread may already exist somewhere else but I couldn't find it, so I'm starting it here. There seems to be quite a few modules coming out (or about to come out) that fit the 500 series format, and we should have a master thread to list them all and even discuss them, etc.

This way anytime anyone gets the itch to add a new module into their lunchbox they can just take a gander at the list. If you have any modules (or information) to add to the list just reply to this post and as they come up I'll edit this list to add them.

First we'll list the rack units & lunchboxes that currently hold the modules:

API

API 500V 10 slot Rack (requires L200PS)
  • 500-6B - 6 slot lunchbox
  • 500V - 10 slot vertical rack mount
  • 500H - 2 slot horizontal rack mount (costs more that the 10 slot???)

OSA (Old School Audio)

Old School Audio
  • Power Rack - 11 slot rack mount
  • Track Pack - 8 slot lunchbox

BAE (Brent Averill Enterprises)

http://www.brentaverill.com/api_rack/
  • 6 Module lunchbox
  • 6 Module rack mount
  • 11 module rack mount

Now on to the real goodness - the modules themselves!

A-Designs

A-Designs Audio: Quality without Compromise. Manufacturer and Distributor of the finest in all tube microphone pramplifiers (mic pre), direct boxes, passive line level control, tube EQ and more!
A-Designs Audio: Quality without Compromise. For the finest in all tube microphone pramplifiers (mic pre), direct boxes, passive line level control, tube EQ and more!
  • P-1 Pacifica (Quad Eight Style) Preamp
  • EM-Silver Preamp
  • EM-Blue Preamp
  • EM-Red Preamp
  • EM-Gold Preamp
  • (NEW) EM-PEQ Pultec Style EQ

API

Avedis Audio

BAE (Brent Averill Enterprises)

Buzz Audio

Daking

Eisen Audio
  • DIY 500 Mic Preamp - The Eisen Audio DIY500
    *A do it yourself kit - thousands of possible transformer and opamp combinations!

OSA (Old School Audio)

link to all: Old School Audio
  • MP1-A Mic Preamp
  • MP1-C Mic Preamp
  • MP1-L Mic Preamp
  • MP1-L3 Mic Preamp

Purple Audio

Shadow Hills

Speck

RUMOR HAS IT (more 500 series format modules coming soon):
  • OSA compressor
  • Chandler GERMANIUM 500 series
  • Purple Audio compressor
  • John Hardy preamp (confirmed in the works)
  • Great River 500 Series Preamps (expected May 2007)
  • S&M Audio EQ based on Trident 80B

OTHER MENTIONS (non API format rack units):
Anything to add to the list or discuss - please reply!

Any manufacturers who have new releases or updates please PM me!
Old 3rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Mark

Thanx for taking the time to whip up this post. I've got an API 10 space rack and was looking to fill up the remaining two spots with a couple pres. I plan on buying a Folcrom in the near future and heard that the GR MP2NV is a good clean pre to combine with it for make up gain. Does anyone know what pre listed above sounds the most like the GR MP2NV and how much it goes for new and used?
Old 3rd January 2006
Lives for gear

I think one or two of the OSA modules come close. Nathan at Atlas Pro Audio could probably help you out as he is intimately familiar with each module's sounds and reps them as well. Could also try to contact OSA directly.
Old 3rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Also in the coming soon category is the Buzz Audio MA2.2 500 series preamp. The A rack is a different proprietary format that's not compatible with the 500 series, but the new preamp will be. I'm guessing late Feb/early March (but could be wrong).
Old 3rd January 2006
500 series nutjob

as nathan just mentioned buzz has a pre coming in the 500 format, and speck has a eq coming soo as well.

it is a good time to be into this format.
Old 3rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Nice, nice and NICE!

Definitely a good time to be in this format!!

On the wish list IMO would definitely be more EQ's and compressor options, but it looks like there are several in the works.
Old 10th January 2006
Fletcher mentioned a company called Aengus - looks like they do 500 style EQ's.
Old 10th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
Fletcher mentioned a company called Aengus - looks like they do 500 style EQ's.
The console at indigo Ranch in Malibu, CA is an Aengus, as 32x24 if memory serves. That room is special. The eqs are the same kind of idea as 560s but with click-stop detents. They sound amazing. Don't expect to find any for sale, it's a rare occurrence.
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

Aphex also made a 4 slot lunchbox at one time. Used ones are still floating around. No phantom power though - which may or may not make a difference if you have 550bs or 525s in it (our outboard phantom).
Old 10th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohaku
Aphex also made a 4 slot lunchbox at one time. Used ones are still floating around. No phantom power though - which may or may not make a difference if you have 550bs or 525s in it (our outboard phantom).
What were Aphex' modules? I've never heard anybody ever mention a model.
Old 10th January 2006
500 series nutjob

seems to me i read somewhere the aphex's were wired differently.
my not be a issue with a good tec on hand or close by.
is the Aengus a 500 format, their are many makers but they are not all 500 format.

Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

The model # is 4B-1. The Aphex appears to be a standard 4 slot lunchbox with built in power supply. My API modules work just fine in it, as do the A-Designs modules. Only qualification is that it does not have phantom power.
Attached Thumbnails
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-4b1.jpg  
Old 10th January 2006

Angus are few and far in-between...
Old 10th January 2006
I'm pretty sure the Aphex were 900 series and were interchangable with that odd dbx 900 series system.
Old 10th January 2006
I see the pic up above now, not sure.
Old 10th January 2006
500 series nutjob

thanks for clearing that up Pohaku
i am not sure were i read it, it stuck with me for some reason.
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

Aphex bought out a company called B&B, which made a parametric eq, the eqf-2, and a compressor-expander called the cx-1 in the 500 format. I own a pair of cx-1's with the B&B label, I've sen them with the aphex label too, and I have an Aphex 11-space rack which is about to get a pair of mono Gama's alongside the cx-1's.
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

OK.

Here's a side by side with the 4 slot API lunchbox and the 4 slot Aphex lunchbox. The Aphex box seems to have some internal jumpers that can be set for "low" and "high" as well as an externally accessible fuse, voltage selector and sidechain access. The API has phantom, voltage selector and an externally accessible fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-lunchbox-1.jpg   List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-lunchbox2.jpg  
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

At some point, I think the API lunchboxes had the -10/+4 jumpers as well.

Oh, BTW, API and B. Averill make blank panels. I don't recommend leaving the empty slots open because of the dust factor. They're cheap.
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

Geoff Daking has said on this forum that there will be a compressor as well as the EQ.
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

A company called MAP also made 500 format modules.
Old 10th January 2006
Gear nut

I'd like to see more choices in compressors. Looks like there are a couple on the way.

I have the 512C. Are any of these other modules good at providing good overdrive distortion?
Old 11th January 2006
Gear Addict

Cool, I was hoping there would be a cleaner mic pre option coming along. Looks like the transformerless Buzz Audio ma2.2 is it.

I'd be all over a pair of those and some Daking compressors in 500 form...
Old 11th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Angus are few and far in-between...
I have two.

Luv'em.

so there...

Jeff
Old 11th January 2006
Gear interested

Tube Pre for API format

It would be nice if someone could make a great tube preamp for the API 500 series racks.The Daking preamp would be a nice addition as well.

Last edited by Mr.Kite; 11th January 2006 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11th January 2006
Lives for gear
or a 16-24 slot "lunchbox" with faders and frickin laserbeams.
Old 24th January 2006
When I did the lunchbox, Aphex was making them before API. They sold them cheap so they could sell modules, but most of everyone bought them for AP stuff. When they decided to discontinue it, I called Marvin Ceaser and asked him if he would mind if I started making them when they stopped. He said that it was fine with him and appreciated me asking. (Lesson #1: It never hurts to ask when you want to copy someone's art. Then it isn't as hard to give them credit)

The Aphex EQ and gate were good, but never had the sound that people expected because like with everything I did, it was always compared to a 550A. (It's funny now, but my new EQ is being compared to it, but in a nice way instead of this constant"does it sound the same?" crap I went through for 15 years.

The racks had +4 -2 selections for in and out, but the pinout was slightly different, and there seemed to always be a dB or so loss. The early lunchbox I did had the same selection jumpers, but included phantom power.

I don't think they ever owned B&B, but the relationship was very close. I used to be an Aphex dealer at my studio when the 602 was rented by the hour. Knew all those guys from Orange NY and beyond. The good old days.

The 900 series DBX rack was deaper and there was nothing else that fit it. I always embraced manufacturers that made API-Like modules for the Lunchbox, as long as they wern't just clones or modified old cards. The "current" company is a little strange about after market modules for the racks. There must be a hundred of them by now...
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

it would be awesome to see a great river 500 series card
Old 24th January 2006
500 series nutjob

John Hardy has said he will be building one as well.
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kite
It would be nice if someone could make a great tube preamp for the API 500 series racks..

Not likely, the power requirements are too different for tubes, not to mention the heat dissapation issues.

I think Summit did or does make tube pres in a verticle rack format, but it's their own format.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search