The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format 500 Series Preamps
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owel View Post
I'm late to the party, but hopefully there is still room

I want to announce my SC-1mk500 PREAMP KIT.

Less than $400.
Everything included... except the soldering lead and tools.
Transformerless design ($349), or with Input Transformer Option ($399)
12dB to 72dB, lower gain at 6dB/step, and 4dB/step at the higher gain
12-step Grayhill switch, Bourns CP pots
Relay Controlled Polarity Reverse
Soft-start/Ramp-up 48V Phantom Power
with DC Servo
Professional PCB, Rohs, double-sided, plated-through holes, 2oz. copper
with soldermask, silkscreen layout,
Gold plated PCB fingers
Includes everything... 5-LED VU Meter, spacers, screws, knobs
Includes Front Panel. Blue anodized aluminum, 0.125" thick, with CNC milled holes and
CNC engraved letterings (not paint, not silkscreen... won't fade, chip, or get worn out!)

FiveFishStudios.com - SC-1 DIY Mic Preamp Kit, PCB, Power Supply Kits, Pro Audio Kits - Home
Wow, very cool! I've been putting together my MOTM modular synth the last half of the year so I'm totally into the DIY stuff at the moment! I may just have to build one of your pres next year sometime!

Here a picture of a https://www.synthtech.com/motm.html MOTM-800 envelope generator I just built yesterday (sorry for the OT )

Old 2nd December 2008
500 series nutjob

very cool ImJohn!
Old 3rd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
very cool ImJohn!
Thanks pan! The whole time I was in my "500 series feeding frenzy" I kept thinking to myself that part of the reason I like dem cute little buggers so much is that they remind me of the modular synth I never had! So last July/Audust it hit me like a ton of bricks (or modules ) that I HAVE TO HAVE A NICE MODULAR SYNTH RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, at the moment with all credit cards completely maxed out and about $20 cash until next pay day, I have a 'mostly' completed modular synth (about as 'completed' as a 500 series setup ever gets for comparison heh).

I actually think it would be cool if some modular synth manufacturers made some synth modules in 500 series format!!! Like some nice voltage controlled filters and other processors at least! That way engineers could expand their sound processing pallets with some cool modular stuff without investing in synth racks and power supplies and finding special space to put it.
Old 4th December 2008
500 series nutjob

i wish i new more about SYNTHs, i have thought for years i would like to study up and earn more about them and how they work, just never seem to have the time: (~
Old 4th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
i wish i new more about SYNTHs, i have thought for years i would like to study up and earn more about them and how they work, just never seem to have the time: (~
You probably DON'T want to know because at least to me, modular synths are even more overpoweringly adddictive than even 500 series audio gear! I think it may be because there is a lot more variety of module types, they can all be connected together in many different ways to act as a whole and the average synth module price is quite a bit lower than the average 500 series mic pre or EQ.

Check out the Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production sub forum on GearSlutz (search for BeerMaster's post and try to find pictures of his ultra-mega modular synth! ) and then maybe check out my favorite synth forum Muff's Modules & More :: Index

Don't get me started . . I'll try to convert you into a modular synth junky!
Old 5th December 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
You probably DON'T want to know because at least to me, modular synths are even more overpoweringly adddictive than even 500 series audio gear! I think it may be because there is a lot more variety of module types, they can all be connected together in many different ways to act as a whole and the average synth module price is quite a bit lower than the average 500 series mic pre or EQ.

Check out the Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production sub forum on GearSlutz (search for BeerMaster's post and try to find pictures of his ultra-mega modular synth! ) and then maybe check out my favorite synth forum Muff's Modules & More :: Index

Don't get me started . . I'll try to convert you into a modular synth junky!
i will probably get into them at some point i have a want: )~
Old 5th December 2008
500 series nutjob

okay ImJohn, i joined these guys : )~
but i will just be lurking for now.
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
okay ImJohn, i joined these guys : )~
but i will just be lurking for now.
LOL, SaWEET!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to be SO sorry . .. but happy . . once you start building your modular synth! ;-)
Old 6th December 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
LOL, SaWEET!!!!!!!!!!! You are going to be SO sorry . .. but happy . . once you start building your modular synth! ;-)
it will be a while but at least i can learn something more!
heh
Old 6th December 2008
500 series nutjob

but first their is way more 500 format stuff to have!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-speck_asc-v_2.jpg  
Old 10th December 2008
Gear Nut

500 Series Products from Buzz Audio

Buzz audio has 2 more units

"Potion"

and

"Tonic"
Old 28th December 2008
Lives for gear

Instead of starting a new topic, digressing from this one...

Is this the complete list of 500 series EQ's?

A Designs EMPEQ - 2 band pultec design

Alta Moda Audio AM-20 - 4 band, 2 band fully parametric

API 550A - 3 band + high/low pass filters, Discrete, High and low bell/shelf switches
550b - 4 band, Discrete ('hybrid'), High and low bell/shelf switches
554 - 3 band sweepable frequencies
560 - 10 band graphic, Discrete (vintage) and hybrid (new) models

Anamod AM EQP - "500 series incarnation of the classic EPQ1A" 2 band + filter

Arsenal Audio V14 - four band fixed bandwidth

Avedis E27 - 3 band + high/low pass filters, Discrete, High and low bell/shelf switches

Buzz Audio Tonic - 3 band, mid with 10? x2 selectable frequencies + HPF, Class A, "utilizing both real chokes and electronic filters"

Daking Plus EQ500 - no longer in production :-(

Eisen LiLPEQr - no longer in production :-(

JLM Audio PEQ500 - "Pultec EQP-1A & EQP-1R type passive EQ circuit w/ 8 extra low and 5 high frequencies...the Q control will switch the high boost to a shelf...

Purple Audio Odd Inductor EQ - 4 band with two selectable frequencies per band, High and low bell/shelf switches.
Tav 10 band graphic - inductor based graphic EQ

S&M Audio EQSM1 - 4 band w/ HPF, high and low shelf with 2 selctable frequencies and two mid bands of semi-parametric fixed bandwidth EQ, true bypass feature

Speck ASC-V 4 Band Parametric EQ
Low band - semi parametric 25Hz - 400Hz, peak/shelf switch
Low/mid band - fully parametric, sweepable, switched between 40Hz - 800Hz or 400Hz - 8kHz, variable bandwidth
Mid band - fully parametric 400Hz to 10kHz, variable bandwidth
High band - semi parametric 2kHz - 25kHz, peak/shelf switch

Having only heard a few of these, I ask for opinions of the following assessment:

Color:
EMPEQ
550A
550B
AM EQP
V14
PEQ500
Tav

Surgical:
AM-20
ASC-V

Crossover (a little bit of both):
Tonic
Odd
EQSM

And finally, for those who have experienced most if not all of these units, in what order would you suggest someone audition units for color, surgical, or crossover use?

Last edited by Kronos147; 28th December 2008 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: forgot AM-20 under 'surgical' subclassification
Old 29th December 2008
Old 29th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
I think this is probably the complete list:

500 Series Database | LunchBoxHero | 500 Series Database
I looked there, and now we are in sync.

The rest of my post asks about classification and such, which do not exist on the database.
Old 24th January 2009
500 series nutjob

hi all!
here is a Link to my interview with Mr. Larry Droppa of Arsenal Audio by API, and the review of the Arsenal Audio V14 by API

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-new-post.html
Old 24th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
hi all!
here is a Link to my interview with Mr. Larry Droppa of Arsenal Audio by API, and the review of the Arsenal Audio V14 by API

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...-new-post.html
Nice interview, Pan60! thumbsup Makes me wanna buy one of those V14 EQs!!!! But . . .I've still gots to buy more synth modules!

My latest aquisition:

Old 25th January 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Nice interview, Pan60! thumbsup Makes me wanna buy one of those V14 EQs!!!! But . . .I've still gots to buy more synth modules!

My latest aquisition:

that is sick!!!!!!
i must have one: )~
if i ever get caught on the reviews i need o grab one of those.
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Wow this unit is very sexy I want one
Old 30th June 2009
Gear Head

Just launched from Safe Sound Audio; the 500 Series P501 mic/line/instr pre + compressor + limiter in a single width module. Check it out at -= Safe Sound Audio =-
Attached Thumbnails
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-p501_front.jpg  
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Head

Roger Schult EQ RS W2377

Roger Schult’s RS W2377 UF1 has been upgraded to include 3 EQ modules (low-20 to 730Hz, mid-155Hz to 3.5KHz and high 1.03 to 23.2KHz) for the API 500 series. The design features an aluminium chrome front panel, ALPS pots, stepped ELMA switches and illuminated switches and buttons.

The filters offer new innovative features such as a solo/link function if more than one EQ is in use, a focus switch for quickly locating wanted or unwanted frequencies and a hard bypass function. This first-class, fully parametric filter module for the API 500 series creates a powerful tool for signal processing while recording, mixing or mastering.

The Filter will be available in August 2010.

For more information please visit www.masteringworks.com or contact us via e-mail at [email protected].
Attached Thumbnails
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-w2377_lunchbox.jpg   List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-api_rs_filter.jpg  
Old 21st July 2010
Jai guru deva om

The Triton Audio D2O Tube-FET 500 series preamp is now shipping also.

War
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Here's the JM-530 Mic Pre:
Attached Thumbnails
List Here - All Lunchbox Modules In API 500 Series Format-jm-530-mic-pre.jpg  
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry for another off topic post. I haven't bought any 500 series gear in a long time but I do keep getting more cool synth modules!

Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
XQP 531 Optical De-esser XQP Home
That XQP 531 looks pretty sweet!

Have the Five Fish Studios 500 series premade and KITS been discussed yet? Very reasonable prices! (about $300 to $500!)
Lunchbox Mic Preamp, 500 Series Mic Preamp, DIY Mic Preamp, Power Supply Kits - FiveFishStudios.com - Home
Old 23rd July 2010
500 series nutjob

Quote:
That XQP 531 looks pretty sweet!

Have the Five Fish Studios 500 series premade and KITS been discussed yet? Very reasonable prices! (about $300 to $500!)
Lunchbox Mic Preamp, 500 Series Mic Preamp, DIY Mic Preamp, Power Supply Kits - FiveFishStudios.com - Home
it is very very sweet!!
i like it on lots of stuff other than de-essing.
wish i had a few!
working on a article, but you all know how slow i can be: o~
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

I have to say, the XQP 531 is REALLY good!
And Pan's right, it does more the de-ess, but the de-essing that it does is brilliant.
Old 23rd July 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe it's because I haven't made any significant pro audio purchases in a long time but I've got serious GAS for the XQP 531 and I'm flirting with selling something to get it!!! (I'm so GASy with those flirtz, so GASy with with those flirtz, so GA-Sy it hurtz!!!)
Old 28th July 2010
Gear Maniac

After looking at a lot of this thread I'm mesmerized by the options with lunchbox setups and gear in general! I hope this isn't too off topic but are there any trade shows where I can hear/see top end gear in action??
Old 28th July 2010
500 series nutjob

probably say hit AES.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search