The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What type of reverb is used on the vocals?
Old 15th October 2010
Here for the gear

What type of reverb is used on the vocals?

I trying to understand the use of reverb a bit better on vocals. Whenever I use it, it always seems to a bit big and noticable. I want to get something similar to this:

YouTube - I Break Horses - Smog

It seems very minimal. What kind of reverb is it? Is it a room reverb? It doesn't sound like a plate reverb.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear
..hmmm, I think the difference here might be $$$$$. It sounds like a real expensive reverb being used...Bricasti, maybe? (about 4K!)heh
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterBeacon View Post
I trying to understand the use of reverb a bit better on vocals. Whenever I use it, it always seems to a bit big and noticable. I want to get something similar to this:

It seems very minimal. What kind of reverb is it? Is it a room reverb? It doesn't sound like a plate reverb.

Sound like a room to me. According to info on wikipedia, "I Break Horses" was recorded as a Peel Session in 1997 (which predates Bricasti). I never knew about Peel Sessions until now, but apparently they were recorded quickly and thus have a "rough and ready, demo-like feel". I like this sound - nice and organic.

Cold Blooded Old Times - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Peel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure what you are using for a reverb. If you have a large room, try setting up a mic or two in the room to record the natural reverb. If you are using a device, try different room size settings with different early delay settings. You can try blending real room and a device. Also, try different EQ treatments on the returns. For more reverb, instead of turning up the reverb volume, try various pre-delay settings.

After you play around enough, you will eventually get more acquainted with the various options and will improve your ability to get the sounds you want. Main thing is to work at it, make notes, and generally turn down the reverb volume so it does not become bigger than the performance itself.

Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

If you do any otb run your reveb though an aux and into a return with routing the aux into the main that way you can turn your aux knob on the channle for vocals up like an 8th or quarter of the way. Makes it easy to use a little verb yet not has it noticable. I like to use echos and delay type verbs this way.
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Maniac

changing the diffusion is another way to make the reverb less weighty in the mix.
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

doesn't seem like anything special to me.....just a medium or large room and if its from 97 hen hardware. get yourself a nice lexicon pcm 70 and thank me later. i got one a few months back and now have plans for at least 2 more.
Old 15th October 2010
Regardless of what that specific song might be using, try to think in terms of delays over reverbs. For the lead vocal verb just a little plate tends to work well. My rule is when I can hear it, I back it off a bit.
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like it was sung in a kitchen. So, just do your vocal in the kitchen and forget any verbs.
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

EQ is your friend. I tend to low pass 99% of all reverbs, post verb. I always use a aux channel for reverbs as well. Some times I further eq it, but pretty much always cut the highs. Often, if the vocals have some sibilance, I will de-ess the signal (on the aux channel) pre verb.
Most of the time, I tend to be rather conservative with reverbs. I will turn it up to where I can hear it, then just slightly bring it down to where it does it's job but isn't really noticeable.
These are some common approaches that I use. There are no hard and fast rules. Hope this helps.
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Addict

i find that a little compression on reverb helps me get more out of it, while making sure that there are not any noticeable reverb peaks.
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRL View Post
i find that a little compression on reverb helps me get more out of it, while making sure that there are not any noticeable reverb peaks.
Interesting. I've never thought to try this. I'm gonna hafta now. Thx.
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regardless of what that specific song might be using, try to think in terms of delays over reverbs. For the lead vocal verb just a little plate tends to work well. My rule is when I can hear it, I back it off a bit.
Listen to this and remember it especially the part about when I can hear it I back it off a bit.
Old 16th October 2010
Gear Addict

+1 on use of LP on reverbs and delays.

Honestly.....i set it at around 1.2-1.6. I like verbs and delays to be felt more than heard. Without the LP you get a lot of emphasis on semblance.
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

A good one... sometimes.
Old 16th October 2010
CLH
Gear Maniac

Here ya go

Samplicity's Bricasti M7 Impulse Response Library v1.1 - Samplicity

These IR's will get you 95% of the way. The rest is tweaking.
thumbsup
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Samplicity's Bricasti M7 Impulse Response Library v1.1 - Samplicity

These IR's will get you 95% of the way. The rest is tweaking.
thumbsup
Hey, thank you for the link. To the OP, if you are going to look into Plate reverb on vocals as mentioned above, look into the wonderful world of Nebula and VNXT EMT Plate 140S. Place large HDD's into your PC and purchase the worlds best hardware for a couple of quid.
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRL View Post
Funny, I like it just the opposite, where the send to the vocal reverb is pre-compressor. This way you can compress the dry vocal and have the vox sit well in the mix, but whenever there's alot of GR on the comp the reverb will bloom up in volume a little bit. Mix the verb return where it's invisible when the compressor isn't doing any GR, and the verb will just poke out for a few seconds on the louder passages. A nice effect for some mixes...

Cheers

Kris
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
Funny, I like it just the opposite, where the send to the vocal reverb is pre-compressor. This way you can compress the dry vocal and have the vox sit well in the mix, but whenever there's alot of GR on the comp the reverb will bloom up in volume a little bit. Mix the verb return where it's invisible when the compressor isn't doing any GR, and the verb will just poke out for a few seconds on the louder passages. A nice effect for some mixes...

Cheers

Kris
I agree.
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Sounds like it was sung in a kitchen. So, just do your vocal in the kitchen and forget any verbs.
Thank you...

What a strange thing to want to emulate... Bad vocal fx... I mean that sounds awful...

I have 2 Bricastis and I PROMISE you dont need one to get that sound...
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterBeacon View Post

If it was recorded at a peel session it would have been at maida vale studios in london. All i know is they had an SSL 9000J console and lots of your standard stuff. Probably lexicon 224 and PCMS etc. On to tape.
It does sound quite like a real room though. Maybe ambience picked up on some other mics? They may even have had his vocal coming back through speakers in the live room as they recorded. No headphones style.
I wish i had a bathroom that sounds like that.
Old 5th November 2010
Lives for gear

Try our new EMpTY 250 version 2.0 on very short settings. You'll get simular results. MP3 quality of youtube is making the sample flangy. So it not easy to really tell what is exact going on.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search