The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Look for a transparent tube 12AT7 for Art Pro VLA II
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Nut

Look for a transparent tube 12AT7 for Art Pro VLA II

So I own the Art Pro MPA II and VLA II. I love my telefunken tube in the pre, better than the bugleboy 12AX7 that is too mids oriented, I don't feel the top end enough, and somewhat like the stock tube in the compressor (Ruby), but maybe I could have something even better.

I actually like the Ruby tube better than the Amperex Bugleboy I bought for the compressor. The stock tube is more transparent, and now I know this is what I'm after.

I will buy a telefunken tube for the compressor but would also like to have another alternative, just to try it.

So what would be this transparent tube with a very accessible top end?
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Addict

Just to be certain, the VLA takes two (2) tubes

The best tubes I found for the VLA were Amperex Globe logo 7025s. I know 7025s aren't 12AT7s. I don't care. They sounded great.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutbasket View Post
Just to be certain, the VLA takes two (2) tubes

The best tubes I found for the VLA were Amperex Globe logo 7025s. I know 7025s aren't 12AT7s. I don't care. They sounded great.
That's right, two tubes and I will ultimately keep two.

There are many great tubes out there, like an Amperex bugleboy, but I need something really transparent, is it the case of the Globe logo 7025s?
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

I had some old JAN GE's in mine and it sounded great...I have a bunch of them if you want to try out a pair.

I didn't try the GE 5 stars, but they are also a good choice for high end audio gear.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
That's right, two tubes and I will ultimately keep two.

There are many great tubes out there, like an Amperex bugleboy, but I need something really transparent, is it the case of the Globe logo 7025s?
Pardon me for swerving into another lane without signaling, but if you are in such need for a transparent compressor perhaps your bucks would be better invested in a clean comp like the RNC or something more like it...the VLA is not a transparent box of goodies. It's a box of goodies with gravy.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Nut

Actually I want some more harmonic distortion, but I don't want the tube of the compressor to undo all the good that I like of what comes out of the pre.

I actually find the addition of the stock Ruby tube (in the compressor) to be quite desirable on top of the Telefunken tube in the pre, but an Ampex Bugle Boy (in the compressor) kinda ruins it.

There is some good informations on this website. I think I should really go with a Telefunken, which I already knew.

I may also go with a Golden Dragon tube. This tube is something new (China's gold!) and it seems that it is better than the Ruby tube and maybe even better for my needs than GE JAN. The author of this website seems to like it.

I also agree with what he's saying about the Ruby tube, so if the Golden Dragon is just that but better, it could be what I'm looking for.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I had some old JAN GE's in mine and it sounded great...I have a bunch of them if you want to try out a pair.

Thanks for the offer, it's really nice. If I go with this tube I could get one from you, but I think I'll prefer the Golden Dragon, it sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for; can't wait to hear it!
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, it's really nice. If I go with this tube I could get one from you, but I think I'll prefer the Golden Dragon, it sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for; can't wait to hear it!
No problem...I bought a bunch when I got some outboard gear to try out...the Jan's I bought in a lot...I got like 12 Jan's from the mid '60s...some standard Ge's, and a couple other things. NOS at7's aren't all that pricey compared to their 12ax7 bretheren!

Although the 5 stars are still hard to get...I'm still looking to add a few to my collection.
Old 12th October 2010
Gear Nut

I just received an email from audiotubes.com and they suggested me their GE longplates made for OEM stock (some with no labels), or the Lowrey organ blackplates made in Japan 1959 dated.

Any experience with these?

I am also posting this for the benefit of all gearsluters! Maybe it could also help some.

Side note:
I got a reply from thetubestore.com and they suggested a Mullard?&!*%$# ... I think I got an answer from the janitor or something!
Old 13th October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Pardon me for swerving into another lane without signaling, but if you are in such need for a transparent compressor perhaps your bucks would be better invested in a clean comp like the RNC or something more like it...the VLA is not a transparent box of goodies. It's a box of goodies with gravy.
After playing with my gear some more and thinking about it, I have decided to sell my Art Pro Vla II and get a transparent compressor.

It is in the classifieds now, need to finance the purchase.

Good advice!
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
After playing with my gear some more and thinking about it, I have decided to sell my Art Pro Vla II and get a transparent compressor.

It is in the classifieds now, need to finance the purchase.

Good advice!
Glad to help.

Any prospects in mind at the moment?
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Glad to help.

Any prospects in mind at the moment?
I started a new thread for that matter.
Old 23rd October 2010
I'm testing the one I just received now with a Siemens 6DJ8 and a Mullard cv 4024 and I really like the mullard combination. Let's say that it is more colored than the Cl1b but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far, I'm quite surprised actually. Wasn't expecting much from it due to the price.
Old 11th August 2011
Lives for gear

I realize this thread is pretty old however I am looking for some advice regarding the VLA compressor. My wife is a voice talent and I am finding that the current tubes are kind of splattering the esses quite a bit. Any suggestions on a nice tube that will help this out while still being musical - because I do use the comprssor for other things as well.

The chain I use is: Sennheiser MK416, Portico 5012 then the VLA to a RME 800 .

Thanks for any input you might offer!
Old 11th August 2011
Gear Addict

I researched this question quite a bit last week and decided on low-noise mullards from Bowie. His service was top notch, and the mullards sound more open and detailed, with less hf smear/loss than the stock ruby's.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hey all who are interested in this...

I purchased some RCA Gray Plate O Getter 12AX7A tubes off eBay for $20 each and popped them into my ART Pro VLA II Compressor. I have some audio samples so you can hear the difference.

First there is the Control Drum track for my starting point
http://www.creativesoundimages.com/m...lDrumTrack.wav

Next is the stock VLA tubes:
http://www.creativesoundimages.com/m...StockTubes.wav

Then we have the RCA tubes:
http://www.creativesoundimages.com/m...CC83 Tubes.wav

The compressor settings were the same for the to compressed tracks:
Input Threshold: -5
Ratio: 4:1
Output +4
Attack: 6 mSec
Release: 0.3 Sec

The compressed tracks were recorded into my RME Fireface directly out of the VLA into Digital Performer. No effects were utilized in the DAW.

What I hear: The high end; Snare and hat tighten up with the RCA's - it's splattery with the stock tubes. The low end thickens up very nicely and becomes 'gooey' and beefier. Me likes.

I also did a voice over test of just, well voice. These sample are one right after another. The first take is stock and the second with the RCA's. Sibilance is better with the RCA's which will obviously help with vocals. It ticks me off the amount of time I spend trying to undo and de-esse vocals because of the stock tubes. Chain was Sennheiser MKH 416, Portico 5012, VLA, FireFace 800 to Mac.

Sample: http://www.creativesoundimages.com/m...tRCASecond.wav

So there ya have it folks hope this helps is some way.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

RCA's are very nice. Hi-fi sound. Smooth and sweet, no hype anywhere, no graininess or "wooly" type effect. Just smooth and hi-fi. Been rockin' a pair myself (12AX7's) in my Pro VLA.
Old 19th August 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah I agree! If you listen to the control track and then the RCA's it doesn't change the tone of the snare like the stock tubes do. I'm sure the RCA's aren't the 'best' but I didn't want to spend a lot and for $40 for the pair I think it's a nice improvement.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search