The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Oktava MK 012
Old 6th October 2010
Here for the gear

Oktava MK 012

What do you think of these mics? What applications? Mics of the same class ... I need information. Thank you very much.
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

No one has ever written anything about the Oktava MK012. The cult of Oktava forbids it. This is why you found nothing when you did a search (you did do a search right?)
Old 6th October 2010
Gear Head

Oktava MK 012

I have 2 mk 319's. I've used them for vocals, ambient room stuff, acoustic guitar, electric guitar cab mic'n. Decent low budget mics. I don't know much about the 12's or 15's.
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
No one has ever written anything about the Oktava MK012. The cult of Oktava forbids it. This is why you found nothing when you did a search (you did do a search right?)
MK what? Is there such a mic?
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Don't be put off by the remarks, I'm sure they were posted in fun, but yeah, this mic has been talked about extensively on this forum. Go to search and type in the mic model number and be prepared to get more info than you can handle on this mic.
Old 6th October 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicture View Post
What do you think of these mics? What applications? Mics of the same class ... I need information. Thank you very much.
Hi.
I have the Mk-012-01's. I like them very much on drum overheads and acoustic guitar. Didn't use them on much else yet. I don't think I will ever sell them though, they are a keeper.
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

They're fantastic mics! They're go-to mics for drum overheads and acoustic guitar. They're a very fine hihat mic. I once did a tom mic shootout, and they surprised me! I've used them with great results to record choirs, I like them inside a piano and in the last vocal tracking session I had I threw them in the mix and the sound is very useable! They're also my #1 go-to mics for live sterero recording. I really want to try one on a snare drum next...
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

you should do a search on these.
there is a metric ****load written about them.
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
you should do a search on these.
there is a metric ****load written about them.
Rob S. You are hereby banished from the cult. Turn in your ceremonial jock strap and paddle.
Old 6th October 2010
Jai guru deva om

They sound like something that must not actually work without being modded first...?

War
Old 7th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
Thank's for you post!
I look much, it's hard to translate everything (I'm French). I searched but I wanted to have precise information, not pieces of information that we find by doing a little research. So thank you.
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
They sound like something that must not actually work without being modded first...?

War
Warren, you having a bad day or something? Everyone knows how much you love these mics, and rightfully so. They are awesome compared to pretty much any sdc in this price range. I sold my original pair after buying a pair of SM81's (I was recording to analog tape at the time). When I went back to digital, I really missed the nice character of the Oktavas. I now own 3 012's, along with a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's. The Oktavas are great mics.

Larry
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

I use them all the time as overheads and sometimes use them for acoustic guitars and I like them!
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
They're fantastic mics! They're go-to mics for drum overheads and acoustic guitar. They're a very fine hihat mic. I once did a tom mic shootout, and they surprised me! I've used them with great results to record choirs, I like them inside a piano and in the last vocal tracking session I had I threw them in the mix and the sound is very useable! They're also my #1 go-to mics for live sterero recording. I really want to try one on a snare drum next...
i like them alot on snare!
especially on bottom.

make sure to use the pad though!

Also used them with good results on:
oh
sax
choir
accordeon
chello
and even vocals
Old 7th October 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Warren, you having a bad day or something? Everyone knows how much you love these mics, and rightfully so. They are awesome compared to pretty much any sdc in this price range. I sold my original pair after buying a pair of SM81's (I was recording to analog tape at the time). When I went back to digital, I really missed the nice character of the Oktavas. I now own 3 012's, along with a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930's. The Oktavas are great mics.

Larry
Ummm...he was joking.

But now that MJ is banned...
Old 7th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
What happened there?
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicture View Post
Thank's for you post!
I look much, it's hard to translate everything (I'm French). I searched but I wanted to have precise information, not pieces of information that we find by doing a little research. So thank you.
OK serious reply, if you get a "good" one (not a fake, or damaged, or simply poor manufacturing) then it is one of the best "bang for buck" mics available. They have a very nice sonic "signature", and sound good on almost every source. Before their popularity skyrocketed, they could be found for $100 or less. Now, they are a bit more, but still a good value. certainly not the "best of the best", but a very nice sounding mic. And they can be modded to be a little quieter and smoother, although their stock sound is very nice. The optional omni capsule sounds particularly sweet.HTH.
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Nut

I remember being on a scoring session a number of years back for a major motion picture, and the scoring engineer used these for most of his violin/viola spot mics. He made it sound great!

-Seth
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post

War
Warren's sense of humor is showing.....
Old 7th October 2010
Someone on here had a really cool trick for grabbing a really interesting, natural vocal sound with one MC012... something about the singer standing about 3 feet away and the mic pointed slightly above their head...
Old 10th October 2010
Here for the gear

Cooool thank's for all. I get for a pair so! cheers.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear
They are nice. I wish they did a real figure 8 capsule so I could do M/S with them.
Old 10th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
They are nice. I wish they did a real figure 8 capsule so I could do M/S with them.
They do. Look here: MK-012 Figure of 8 Microphone
Old 14th October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
I will buy the capsules after I think, but I confess to having the M / S could not be bad! cheers
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

I too am considering getting myself a pair of these mics primarily for drum overhead duties and acoustic guitar and judging by the feedback here I'm sure will yield good results.

I'm also hoping that these mics will also prove to be good value all-rounders for stereo sources and would be keen to hear peoples opinion of these mics on such things as piano, choirs, percussion, location recordings etc.
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

i have a pair of 012's with the large 33mm heads.
these mics took a giant leap after sending them to michael joly.
while they were functional as is, they were definitely on the grainy side.
after the michael did his mod, they became more 84 like.
i then sent him the capsules and yet another veil was lifted.
use them on rock n roll piano alot. sometimes as overheads.
sometimes on electric gtr.
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
They do. Look here: MK-012 Figure of 8 Microphone
I dont see them as real. They are to wide spaced. I think I will get better results with three mics.
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont see them as real. They are to wide spaced. I think I will get better results with three mics.
Or just use a mk-012 with a nice ribbon in M/S config. Gorgeous.
Old 14th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
i have a pair of 012's with the large 33mm heads.
these mics took a giant leap after sending them to michael joly.
while they were functional as is, they were definitely on the grainy side.
after the michael did his mod, they became more 84 like.
i then sent him the capsules and yet another veil was lifted.
use them on rock n roll piano alot. sometimes as overheads.
sometimes on electric gtr.
I concur. Mine was a decent mic (got it at GC for $99 back when they were practically giving them away). and its the original Russian model, not a knock off. After the MJ mod it sounds incredible. I use it all the time on acoustic instruments.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search