The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pan in logic vs. Pan using a plug
Old 6th October 2010
Gear Head

Pan in logic vs. Pan using a plug

Ok, using gearslutz app. on iphone4 (I know, I'm a slut)...thats why I posted an unfinnished thread....kindof touched the screen when unlocking the studio.,.hehe,,. Anyway, here goes....

Is it possible that a plugin, such as mondomod/waves imager och Panman can sound better(as a panoration plug) than using the actual panknob in logic?? Or am I imagining this? Caus I actually feel that this is true...
Somehow, when using the logic-pan, the sound disapears and it gets kind of blurry(hard to decribe) and undefined in a mix, but when using a plug instead, its like, I can really put my finger on the sound in the mix....is this really possible? And if so, why??

peace
Old 6th October 2010
Gear Head

I should add that I've been playing around with the panlaw settings, but it doesn't really matter what setting I use....still feel the same way....
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear
I don't know about Logic, but I can say you are right about Cubendo.
The panning doesn't sound good. Even routing something through a group in cubendo makes the original track sound worse !
And now imagine loosing quality not only from panning and groups but finally also in the master buss.

That's why I prefer analog summing and panning. Probably it's the same with faders btw but I never really checked that.

There is a way of better panning itb with Nebula and the pan programm from Alex B which is based on analog panning.
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Keys View Post
Is it possible that a plugin, such as mondomod/waves imager och Panman can sound better(as a panoration plug) than using the actual panknob in logic?? Or am I imagining this? Caus I actually feel that this is true..
Panoration, uh ? Now that's a nice one.

In Logic, only mono chanels have a pan knob. For the stereo tracks, it actually is a balance knob, and that's pretty different. Why it has to be that way, you're left to wonder... Logic never implemented a proper pan on the mixer. You have to use the "direction mixer" plug for that, which is very precise, or Flux's freebie which is a killer.

I've never quite understood this concept, but grew used to it. The impossibility to independently pan a send to a stereo buss is a whole other story. Don't get me started.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search