The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tascam 48-OB Reel-to-Reel
Old 4th October 2010
Here for the gear

Tascam 48-OB Reel-to-Reel

Slutz,

I have searched and found a Tascam 48-OB reel-to-reel that I am interested in purchasing. My hope is to integrate this into my PTLE system as follows - After recording into PTLE, I would patch the outputs of my Lynx Aurora 8 AD/DA to the inputs of the 48-OB. Once hitting tape, I would playback and output into my API summing box, sending the mix back to the Lynx and into PTLE. I hope to one day acquire a companion reel-to-reel so I can bounce to tape as well.

A little background on the machine/seller-

This Tascam 48-OB is coming from a studio in Chicago, and had supposedly been used and maintained until 2005. The seller, who checked out on LinkedIn and his studio website (I verified this,) claims to have tested the machine before putting it up for sale and says that unit is fully functional the heads are clean. This 48-OB comes with 8 channels of racked dbx noise reduction.

Now a few questions:

1) What questions should I have for the seller?
2) Do you see any problems with this potential setup?
3) Is the Tascam 48-OB a good machine?

Any other tips and suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,

Hunt
Old 4th October 2010
Here for the gear

Here are a few pictures:

Any red flags?
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam 48-OB Reel-to-Reel-15159an_20.jpeg   Tascam 48-OB Reel-to-Reel-3096hf6_20.jpeg   Tascam 48-OB Reel-to-Reel-7305jnh_20.jpeg  
Old 5th October 2010
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 5th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Looks like some wear on the erase head (the white one). The record and playback heads seem okay but without actually having the unit hooked up to a desk with an oscillator, going through each track, recording a tone, playing it back, checking all levels and frequencies (especially the higher ones) play back and record, there really isn't much else photos can tell you. Get the guy to take a photo without flash photography and we'll be able to see what's really going on with the heads.

What I do know, the 48 is more of a pro deck than the 38. I have owned a 38 in great condition and let me tell you I regret selling it. It really is great fun, sure it's a bit hissy, you're nowhere near the wide enough tape margin (1", 2") to get that tape mojo everyone yawns on about, but 1/2" 8 track is better than 1/8" cassette and more fun to watch than waveforms in PT. If it suits your work flow then go for it, but PLEASE test it out first.

Also, rather than tracking to PT then outputting your sampled audio to tape and then back again. Why not record to tape first then record the files back into PT. That way you get the unsampled full analog sound of tape and only go through one process of A/D conversion.

Last edited by Szorn; 5th July 2011 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Consolidating posts
Old 16th June 2019
Here for the gear
Help PLZ

I’m trying to surprise my husband with a Tascam 48 OB
Are these heads ok? Good, bad, run away?

Please help, I don’t want to get ripped off!
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam 48-OB Reel-to-Reel-9ddf8dad-f357-4706-8965-e7191e167def.jpg  
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szorn View Post
1/2" 8 track is better than 1/8" cassette
significantly better.

Buddha
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjack3141 View Post
I’m trying to surprise my husband with a Tascam 48 OB
Are these heads ok? Good, bad, run away?

Please help, I don’t want to get ripped off!
can you post some very close up shots of each individual head.

Buddha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search