All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
drawmwer tubestation anyone?
Old 6th July 2003
Gear Addict

drawmwer tubestation anyone?

toy or pro piece?
Old 1st June 2005
Here for the gear

I suppose you could say a bit of both... Pro Piece because it sounds great, and Toy because it's fun to play with. I recently responded to a similar question, and figured my reply may be useful here as well:

"I'd been interested in the Tubestation for a long time for many of the same reasons as well, but found very little feedback on it. Therefore I decided I needed to do my own shopping and comparisons before (recently) buying one. I hope this info helps the rest of you looking for the same info.
I wanted something with a wide variety of tonal character I could draw from, without having to purchase multiple preamps. The last extensive shootout I did was against the Summit 2BA-221, of which I heard numerous favourable reviews on this site.
Sonically, the Summit actually won by a small margin when judging solid state performance alone, but the Tubestation won my vote for having a greater range of tone between solid state and full tube. In terms of overdriving the tube, you can also drive the tube a little harder in the Summit, but it still remains more consistent in it's tone than the Tubestation, which exhibits more color as you increase the tube drive. With the Drawmer I was able to record signals ranging from honest and clean (solid state preamp only), to full-bodied, and even a little gritty (introducing varying amounts of tube drive).
The sonic character of the tube drive circuit was one of it's greatest assets IMO, which works wonders with everything from drums to vocals when used tastefully. Also the fact that it's stereo (can run keyboards through it) really adds to it's value. The compressor gets a little "rock'n'roll" when pushed hard, but still works well when used minimally while tracking, which was something I was looking to do.
If you're looking for one piece to cover alot of bases, from clean to colored, I'd highly recommend it."
Old 1st June 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

On a scale of 1-10, how colored can it get?
Old 3rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjx
On a scale of 1-10, how colored can it get?
I use a TS2 and I would say coloration can go to 8-9. It really does respond well with either tube in or tube out. I always give it a go, but turn it off if it's not needed. The results are very customizable which is nice. This compressor(s) has turned out to be one of the best purchases in my studio. It works on the same gain-fixed compression principles as the 1176, in the TS2's case however the Input (1176) is labled as Compression. So you crank it up to your specifications to get the desired results. I use it all the time on my vocal chain like this: U87- Focusrite 115HD -TS2 -192 PTHD. The sound is really something special. I've also been running my synth bass tones through it with some mindblowing results. Very controlled, very attacky, LOUD, and smooth. The Attack can go extremely fast if needed which is nice. It has a limiter built in in addition to the compressor so you have to be aware of how you hit it. Sometimes it gets in the way of experimenting but it helps to keep things within the limits of digital recording devices. Also it has some sort of (high eq) enhancer circuit built in to compensate for over compression of the top end. Not sure how it works exactly but I like the results on vocals. In general I like it much better than my Avalon on many sources. Wish I had a Distressor to compare it to I wonder if any one has moded one of these to use a Telefunken or other replacement tube. Also I am suprised that I do not see or hear about them more often. Great hidden gem
Old 6th June 2005
rjx
Lives for gear

warhead Made a few demos of the TS that sound really nice. They can be found Here

IMO the TS is a piece that should be over-looked no more. I hope I can get my hands on one soon.
Old 10th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I am about to pull the trigger on a Distressor or 2 so I will let you know how they compare to each other. RJX get a TS2 you will be suprised at how usable and affordable it is. 2 linkable compressors for about 300 each! I use it on every tracking and mixing session
Old 21st July 2007
Lives for gear

Hey gb-jazz,

Out of curiosity, did you ever get around to A/B'ing the TS2 with the Distressor? You've had more than enough time already! heh

All jokes aside, I picked one up about a month ago that included the digital option, and thought to myself, 'what the hell?' and pulled the trigger. I havent done any serious recording with it yet but I spent half a day messing around with it. From the few reviews I've read here and those demos War put up, I'll have to agree with everyone-this box has balls. I really like what the tube function adds and I like the fact that you can disengage from it as well. I'm not a big fan of compressing vocals on the way in, but in testing, I was able to find some unobtrusive settings I could live with if I had to. Definitely a keeper for me.

Does anyone know why Drawmer discontinued this unit?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search