The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for some Randy Staub info
Old 29th December 2005
Gear Addict

Looking for some Randy Staub info

Just curious if anyone knows where i can find some interviews or info on Randy Staub. Theres tons of talk about Andy Wallace on here but not much on Randy Staub. As far as hard rock goes this guy is a genious and id like to know more. Thanks.
Old 30th December 2005
Lives for gear

Myself as well. The Metallica and the Motley records were very influential on me (despite the drums being 4 dB too loud on the Black Album......which actually worked in a cool way). The only thing I've found is the Metallica "Year and a Half in the Life" video. Part 1 is about the making of the Black Album and has Randy in it most excellently engineering. He was usually pretty quiet next BR's and LU's constant yammering and ego wars. Great engineer though. That video was interesting I thought. Uber mic'ed drumkit (underside tom mics on 6 toms, 4-5 overheads, bunch o room mics, venerable SM7 (!!!) on the hat, Neumann 56? on snare?). The massive tent of guitar amps covered in UHaul blankets (and that one amp with at least an 18" driver!). The 48 tk DASH machine seemingly being used on everything but the drums. Old school 16-bit digital and it sounds great. 47 FET on all lead vox with NO headphones (auratones for James' monitoring!). Kirk Hammet trying to play his solo on 10 different guitars. The mix session on the SSL 4k with VCA automation (just recently noticed this as all the faders were at unity).

Sorry to hijack the thread with Metallica BS. Randy Staub rules though.
Old 30th December 2005
I was at that studio about a year ago and the big 20" drivers were still there. The tech said they belonged to the studio. He said that there's a picture somewere of KISS using them as nearfeilds. Staub is the ****. His tones are what got me into wanting to make records.
Old 30th December 2005
Lives for gear

can't say anythign technical about randy, but I can tell you he's awesome to work for. I have a friend who was/is his somewhat regular assistant. He says randy is "one of the good ones".
Old 30th December 2005
Lives for gear

they're 36" Mitsubishi's..a pair of only four pair ever made. You could plug them directly into the the wall ac and watch them reproduce 60 cycles.
Old 30th December 2005
Gear Addict

Along with the Metallica stuff which i think sounds incredible, he's also been apart of some of the best modern recordings. Whether you hate the band, all the Nickelback songs he's done sound amazing, POD, and even remixing crossfades home recordings to make them sound totally huge and relevant is just crazy to me.
Old 30th December 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Neumann 56? on snare?
KM86 aint it, anyway love RS he made the remix of some kind of monster sound great compared to the original wish the whole album was like that, his new Nickleback mixes sound pretty awesome

always loved his work on Load that huge kick sound is sweet

another good vid to watch for a bit of randy's stuff is the metallica classic albums episode
Old 30th December 2005
Jai guru deva om

I wonder if that Metallica video set was more pre-production...

I agree RS has been cranking out some tough stuff man, sort of an unsung hero.

War
Old 7th January 2006
Here for the gear

The mix session on the SSL 4k with VCA automation (just recently noticed this as all the faders were at unity).

Actually.....they used a 6072 E/G console in the MIXROOM at A&M. Also the faders are at unity because the is a better resolution of the faders for how that VCA automation works.
Old 22nd December 2011
Here for the gear

Ultimate Guitar Interview, very informative:

Randy Staub On Black Album: 'The Idea Was To Get A Huge Drum Sound'

Randy Staub On Black Album: 'The Idea Was To Get A Huge Drum Sound' | Interviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search