The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ok! Help me sort some mic pre selections as per your overall experience
Old 2nd October 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
fuzzface777's Avatar
 

Ok! Help me sort some mic pre selections as per your overall experience

Going off the last thread I made, pretty much sealed the deal on how important TO THESE EARS a decent mic pre IS: source/ performance, room, mic placement notwithstanding.

I am not partial anything specific. If it adds color as in a Neve's thick mids and smooth highs or a punchy API or a transparent type or tube mic pre for tube imparted character, transformer or transformerless.... its all good.



I should say I don't buy into the what of music do you record blah blah blah...
I know from the last think any decent mic pre is going to deliver the LIVENESS factor and detail my ears are screaming for.

Here are some considerations I have been making these past few days for a recent and or future purchases:

Chandler TG-2, API 3124, Daking Mic Pre IV or Daking Audio Mic Pre/EQ <-but only one channel but if the EQ is a GOTTA have then I will consider it...
Great River MP-2NV, Aurora Audio GTQ2 Mark II, Portico Range stuff, and probably very soon if recommended highly : the very affordable GA PRE-73

What do you recommend?



As an aside: Are any appreciable differences between the Neve 1272 and 1073? I ask because I received a great sale offer for the 1272 recently.
Old 2nd October 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
Going off the last thread I made, pretty much sealed the deal on how important TO THESE EARS a decent mic pre IS: source/ performance, room, mic placement notwithstanding.

I am not partial anything specific. If it adds color as in a Neve's thick mids and smooth highs or a punchy API or a transparent type or tube mic pre for tube imparted character, transformer or transformerless.... its all good.



I should say I don't buy into the what of music do you record blah blah blah...
I know from the last think any decent mic pre is going to deliver the LIVENESS factor and detail my ears are screaming for.

Here are some considerations I have been making these past few days for a recent and or future purchases:

Chandler TG-2, API 3124, Daking Mic Pre IV or Daking Audio Mic Pre/EQ <-but only one channel but if the EQ is a GOTTA have then I will consider it...
Great River MP-2NV, Aurora Audio GTQ2 Mark II, Portico Range stuff, and probably very soon if recommended highly : the very affordable GA PRE-73

What do you recommend?



As an aside: Are any appreciable differences between the Neve 1272 and 1073? I ask because I received a great sale offer for the 1272 recently.
My favorite two preamps- Electronaut M63 and DAV BG series.
Old 2nd October 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
I have a api 512c and great river here. I love both of them equally. The API gets a lot of use on instruments and just sounds sweet like my candy pre. The great river has a wow factor though for vocals and I don't mind running the 2-buss through them. I would be lost without the other. API no matter what I think it's a sure bet and multiples are always great and it just seems like a standard..I would love a console! Great River is more of a new outtake on the neve style but a great one! I can't vouch for many of the other pres but you can't go wrong with the great river especially with vocals.However, if I could get a real Neve with the eq I would get over the great river for my personal taste. Just need to find 3,800-4,000 now :P
Old 2nd October 2010
  #4
Deleted User
Guest
WHAT you're recording does matter...

I'll through out the adl600 pre to your list. You owe it to yourself to check this sucker out. It's not supe clean, but it just sounds like a record.
Old 2nd October 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
fuzzface777's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
WHAT you're recording does matter...

I'll through out the adl600 pre to your list. You owe it to yourself to check this sucker out. It's not supe clean, but it just sounds like a record.
Holy Shhhhmoly 2100 USD for a Presonus!!! I have never of anyone talking about this. Any others with this one also?

What the pre-73, for 299 is it a 299 type pre or comparable to a 700-800 dollar per channel mic pre?

What about the other I am considering? Keep the comments coming.
Old 2nd October 2010
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
digibiu's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
Holy Shhhhmoly 2100 USD for a Presonus!!! I have never of anyone talking about this. Any others with this one also?

What the pre-73, for 299 is it a 299 type pre or comparable to a 700-800 dollar per channel mic pre?

What about the other I am considering? Keep the comments coming.

It does have a Presonus Name Plate on it, but I tell ya, this is not your average presonus. This thing was designed by Anthony DeMaria, and is a great peice of gear!!
Old 2nd October 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
Do you want a pre that's pretty good on all sources? The great river cannot be beat.

For the price of the api, it's got to be the best deal going. I love the api pres.

I never tried vocals thru the api but never needed to. I have other pres that work just fine for that.

I must admit I never heard the dakings or chandler, but really want to try out the chandler tg. It's probably a good bet you can't go wrong with a pre from your list.
Old 26th October 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
fuzzface777's Avatar
 

so is the pre-73 the best value hands down for it's price? Is the pre-73 quality still an improvement to the mbox2pro's pres?
Old 26th October 2010
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Great River Pre

I have the Great River Pre ME 1NV. I have only used it for rock vocals and some lead guitar solos. I used it along with Michael Joly's Oktavamod MK 319 at a distance from the mic around 2 to 3 inches with vocals, and for the guitar cabinet about 3 feet away. On the preamp, I had the loading LED light on, and the impedence LED light off for both applications. You can hear vocals on my band's page at www.myspace.com/backseatpilots. Listen to the song titled "In the Brightest Room." All the vocals were recorded with the GRP and the method described above, and the guitar solo midway through the song was recorded with the Great River Pre and the method described above as well.

the converters used were those of the EMU 1616m.

Although my mixing skills aren't the best. From my expierence with preamps such as those in the EMU 1616m, EMU 0404, M- Audio Mobile Pre USB, Presonus Firebox, Mackie VLZ, XENYX preamps, and Focusrite Saffire; The Great River Pre made a big difference in making it easier to achieve a desired sound. This includes making the mixing process a bit easier to mold things the way you want it.

Particularly with vocals I have noticed that they definetly sound richer and fuller. The sibulance is one of the primary things i have noticed that had been more controlled. In the mix, the vocals have a highpass filter all the way up to somewhere in the 300hz-350hz range. I know its pretty high, but the vocals just ended up fitting better with that filter for that song. For the guitar solo, I didn't do much but roll off the 80hz, and shelved some of the mid lows. All of the effects were recorded live.

As much as I like this preamp, I might sell it. Because I believe in the quality curve where when you start reaching the $1000 range, the quality improvement is much more slight and not that drastic. So I will be buying the Golden Age Pre 73 soon and comparing the 2. If I do not a hear a noticeable and significant improvement between them, I will sell the Great river pre and post with my findings.
Old 31st October 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
fuzzface777's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyybstrd View Post

So I will be buying the Golden Age Pre 73 soon and comparing the 2. If I do not a hear a noticeable and significant improvement between them, I will sell the Great river pre and post with my findings.
any word?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump