The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
j99 and an avantone ak type-VII for acoustic guitar
Old 1st October 2010
Gear Nut

j99 and an avantone ak type-VII for acoustic guitar

I am looking for a good mic/micpre combo for recording solo acoustic guitar. I used a soundelux ifet7 forever with decent results through an avalon m5. Lately I've been using a jolly modded apex 205 ribbon through an sca n72 which sounds huge but sometimes a little too big. I've thought about getting an api 215l HP/LP filter to make things not so heavy on the low end but dang, you have to shell out alot for the powered rack in order to even use them. I've tried to use different HP filters in the box but seem to lose more than just the rumble. It seems like you lose so much of the vibe of the mic. I have been considering getting something like a j99 kit and an avantone ak type-VII. I have a couple of t15s Which are clean but a little sterile. The n72 is just sweet on most things but maybe a little too heavy for what I'm looking for, at least with the 205s. I was hoping someone would tell me if they have had any experience with either the avantone or the j99 on acoustic guitar. I have also been considering beyer mc930s. I can't seem to find anyone who uses or has even tried the avantone except Ray Kennedy.
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Nut

I posted another thread asking about the avantone but nobody has responded there either. DOES ANYONE EVEN OWN ONE OF THESE. PLEASE RESPOND SO THAT I KNOW YOUR ALL ALIVE AND STILL INTERESTED IN GEAR.
Old 9th October 2010
Gear Maniac

There are a number of other threads about Avantone CV12 that compare it to the APEX 460. Aside from the red powder coat and chrome grill, it really is just that.

I discuss some simple mods that make it sound a lot better. General consensus that I have read is that the APEX 460 is better value and you can use the money you save to have some improvements made if you feel it's necessary.

BF
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Nut

I own a 460 that I had modded by Mike Jolly and the thing sounds great, but I'm actually talking about a different mic, the ak type-VII
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

I don't have experience with either the Avantone or the J99, but I do have experience with the one SCA preamp you didn't mention and that is the A12. It might be the ticket for you, its not as thick and creamy as the N72, but it has got just as much character, only different character. I could see using it on acoustic guitars with stellar results. I have N72's, A12's, and Langevin AM-4 channel strips. I love having the variety of flavours there, but I am sure I could make a great sounding record with only 1 of the types mentioned no problem.
Old 11th October 2010
Gear Nut

I have been interested in getting an a12 for a while now. I'm glad you mentioned it and take it as another reminder to check it out. It seems that people are about half and half when it comes to preference between the n72 and a12. I could be an a12 guy and just don't know it yet. As far as the avantone goes it would be nice if anyone even admitted that they owned one. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just imagining that they make one of these.
Old 24th October 2010
Gear Nut

This is my final try. Does anyone use an avantone ak-type VII and if so how do you like it? Is it too noisy for softer acoustic guitar? Thanks for any replies.
Old 27th October 2010
Gear Nut

Holy crap this thing is awesome. Are you kidding me. I can't believe no one is talking about this thing.
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Maniac

The published response, the grill shape and profile of this mic puts it in the realm of a Bruel & Kjaer "pre-polarized" (electret) reference microphone. It is the utlimate in "colorless". The response is almost perfectly flat on axis and with the typical HF rolloff at 90 degrees. The ability to handle hi SPL does make it appealing for percussion.

I am very interested in hearing what people think of the sound in real recording situations.

BF

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search