The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please Help With Ground Loop!!!
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Head

Hi there,

Our new Studio B consists of a very simple layout and signal flow incl. ISA220, Eureka, Fender Rack Tuner, and digi pre's.

I have just bought a Radial BigShot ABY so we are able to go:
Input - Guitar
Tuner Out - Tuner
Out A - Eureka Pre (DI)
Out B - To head/amp

Using Out A alone has some hum but then as you add the Tuner and Out B the issue gets much worse (while still only listening to Out A).

Advice?
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Head

Bump
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Head

Bump?
Old 24th September 2010
From what i can tell about the Bigshot ABY, only output B has the isolation transformer. In theory, that should eliminate any ground loop between two different amps.

My guess is that the rackmount tuner is a chief suspect. This is AC powered? So basically if there is any potential difference between the ground that the tuner is plugged into, and the amp that is connected to Output A - you will have a ground loop. In theory Output B should be isolated.

Does flicking the ground lift switch make any difference?

I would try temporarily replacing the rackmount tuner with a battery tuner, to see if the problem goes away. If it does - I would get a cheap isolation transformer just for the tuner. Quality for the tuner signal won't matter at all.

I find Radial stuff to be generally very good. In a perfect world, every output would be transformer isolated, but that would bump up the cost.

It's possible that this isn't ground loop hum. Maybe you have a noisy environment that isn't conducive to long unbalanced cables. It seems to me that the ABY box is really intended as a stage box, where the cables are relatively short. For studio use, if you are running long cables between rooms, I would recommend using balanced cables - I just can't get along with the noise that unbalanced cables pickup.

There are plenty of options to consider - Radial certain have some solutions to this sort of problem.

Personally, I'm a fan of passive Reamp boxes, for solving all sorts of problems. If you go direct from your guitar to a DI/preamp, you can send the balanced line level a long distance, and then use a Reamp box sitting on top of your amp to drop it down to instrument level. That keeps your unbalanced cables as short as possible. Being passive, you get complete transformer isolation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search