The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools HD2 systems selling for dirt cheap!
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

HD2 on ebay today went for $1,584!
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

192 i/o with A/D card went for $1,625.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

That's a total of $3200!!!

Now these were PCI-X but still for PC guys these prices are crazy cheap.

I know I know "Native" is around the corner......right?

Just thought I would share this becuase of all of the hating on LE. Well even if PT goes Native, it's going to be hard as hell to get into it for under 4K so to each it's own.
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Nice. heh
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Actually its not really that cheap.. I watched a core card go for 600$, which is close to what they're actually worth.
Old 22nd September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream View Post
Actually its not really that cheap.. I watched a core card go for 600$, which is close to what they're actually worth.
Err...what they're worth?! oh, I get it....(where's the eyeroll emoticon when you need it).

Ain't opinon a wonderful thing?!
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Err...what they're worth?! oh, I get it....(where's the eyeroll emoticon when you need it).

Ain't opinon a wonderful thing?!
It's their 'eBay value'
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

I was watching an eBay auction a while ago for a full HD system, G5 mac, 30 inch apple cinema display, and a few nice plugs. It was actually a member of the band 311's, and was used to record a decent amount of their last couple albums. I don't think it sold for more than $4,000. Seemed pretty cheap to me.
Old 23rd September 2010
PCI/PCIX are selling dirt cheap (as you can see in the GS classifieds). PCI-e hd2 systems are selling for around $3-4k. Still a bit steep for a small-time dude like me.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear
Egh I'd still rather drop 4grand on outboard on a native system. That's what it comes down to for me. It just feels like paying a lot for software that has hardware attached to it...like a members only club.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
Just thought I would share this because of all of the hating on LE.
Perfectly happy with my le rig. Perfect fit for what I do. (yes, I make great sounding recording that I get paid to do.)
Old 23rd September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
Egh I'd still rather drop 4grand on outboard on a native system. That's what it comes down to for me. It just feels like paying a lot for software that has hardware attached to it...like a members only club.
Yep, that's where I'm at too. I love the software, but dropping $4k on PT isn't going to improve my work one bit (efficiency, maybe). So I'd be paying $4k just for PT bragging rights which is not what I'm about at all. I'd rather buy a sexy mic or an API4321 or literally a hundred other items before spending it on software.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Yep, that's where I'm at too. I love the software, but dropping $4k on PT isn't going to improve my work one bit (efficiency, maybe). So I'd be paying $4k just for PT bragging rights which is not what I'm about at all. I'd rather buy a sexy mic or an API4321 or literally a hundred other items before spending it on software.
Pretty much man. The only thing PT has going for me is the editing. But hey I'm pretty much recording everything but majority of drums and synths in the box so midi is very important to me. I will still use Logic Regardless but for fine tune audio editing I love protools like everyone else. It's just to pricey for hardware that just lets me run a program. Outboard seems more the way to go. Some of us have the money time to time but it just feels like to much. It's also a status symbol like you said. More and more I see people not caring. Most the people I work with record with me because of me not software.
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Pretty much man. The only thing PT has going for me is the editing. But hey I'm pretty much recording everything but majority of drums and synths in the box so midi is very important to me. I will still use Logic Regardless but for fine tune audio editing I love protools like everyone else. It's just to pricey for hardware that just lets me run a program. Outboard seems more the way to go. Some of us have the money time to time but it just feels like to much. It's also a status symbol like you said. More and more I see people not caring. Most the people I work with record with me because of me not software.
(emphasis added)

i would venture to say that ALL of your clients work with you for what you bring to their projects.

to me, PTHD is the modern equivalent of an SSL. necessary? no, but it's comforting for the clients.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumpsych View Post
(emphasis added)

i would venture to say that ALL of your clients work with you for what you bring to their projects.

to me, PTHD is the modern equivalent of an SSL. necessary? no, but it's comforting for the clients.
My clients work with me because of my skill set and the quality I can deliver above everyone else. I do live in a college town with a lot of people that is small also. I know my **** and i don't have to boast or rely on a daw to validate that. Plus it's my real job at the university I work for with less than high end equipment there, budget cuts :P. I record and mix all the concerts they sell on cd so it doesn't hurt and I'm very humble I can do it for a living outside my house.

yeah pretty much with the SSL analogy. It's even funny these days that a lot of these plugins can get 70%-80% of the way there as their analog counter parts but still people lust to spend 500,000 on analog. If the budget outweighed the cost of equipment yes I would buy some of it and masterbate furiously, but in all honesty I probably wouldn't spend that much. First thing I'd buy is a 16 channel API console with a 16 channel converter and some mics. I bet I could do a pretty good job with that with a few hardware pieces, some plugins and Logic and not feel like my penis is smaller.

I understand it's comforting for clients and well you will have to do less of a sales pitch but as much as these threads say.. room, skill,room,skill,room,skill...ect Maybe people should take their own advice and stop being elitist and go one skill and carisma.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumpsych

(emphasis added)

Opinion? Pleaseeee. This company has a tendency to condition people into thinking 500$ is a cheap thing.

1- Pt HD doesn't catch clients.
2- If a card has been sitting in your computer computing calculations, sucking voltage for the past 5 years your item is not MINT.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

By February I'm guessing...pcie $500/card pcix $250/card.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know where you have been recording but my HD rig catches a many client. There are many many people who would not have stepped foot in a so called professional studio and running LE.

Sorry but your are wrong. My studio boomed when I went HD and advertised it as such.
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
My clients work with me because of my skill set and the quality I can deliver above everyone else. I do live in a college town with a lot of people that is small also. I know my **** and i don't have to boast or rely on a daw to validate that. Plus it's my real job at the university I work for with less than high end equipment there, budget cuts :P. I record and mix all the concerts they sell on cd so it doesn't hurt and I'm very humble I can do it for a living outside my house.

yeah pretty much with the SSL analogy. It's even funny these days that a lot of these plugins can get 70%-80% of the way there as their analog counter parts but still people lust to spend 500,000 on analog. If the budget outweighed the cost of equipment yes I would buy some of it and masterbate furiously, but in all honesty I probably wouldn't spend that much. First thing I'd buy is a 16 channel API console with a 16 channel converter and some mics. I bet I could do a pretty good job with that with a few hardware pieces, some plugins and Logic and not feel like my penis is smaller.

I understand it's comforting for clients and well you will have to do less of a sales pitch but as much as these threads say.. room, skill,room,skill,room,skill...ect Maybe people should take their own advice and stop being elitist and go one skill and carisma.
for me, that last 20% is the soft clipping charecter (harmonic distortion) of real circuitry. that's a BIG part of our arsenal and when ITB, it feels limiting.

but, getting the signal 90% there before hitting the A/D is a great work-around, not to mention good practice. you can also get a chice outboard peice or two and insert.
Old 23rd September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwatts View Post
It's their 'eBay value'
no that's their "value" - obviously what dream was implying is that what they're selling for is vastly more than what their actual worth is.....and I was saying that's his opinion, and not fact.

If what Peter spicemix states does come true (unlikely if you ask me, but could be possible, if not to that level) we'll then be in the opposite situation - where the worth of an HD rig is higher than it's actual cost of purchase (because you'll still see large studios running HD rigs because of the processing/stability advantages, but the smaller scale user will see the resale value drop). I wouldn't be surprised if some studios then expand every HD2 to a 3, and maybe buy magmas for the bigger rigs - assuming of course that HD cards are compatible with the latest HD software (which they almost certainly will be of course - it would be commercial suicide for it not to be the case).
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
If what Peter spicemix states does come true (unlikely if you ask me, but could be possible, if not to that level) we'll then be in the opposite situation - where the worth of an HD rig is higher than it's actual cost of purchase (because you'll still see large studios running HD rigs because of the processing/stability advantages, but the smaller scale user will see the resale value drop). I wouldn't be surprised if some studios then expand every HD2 to a 3, and maybe buy magmas for the bigger rigs - assuming of course that HD cards are compatible with the latest HD software (which they almost certainly will be of course - it would be commercial suicide for it not to be the case).
I have an HD3 setup now but if accel cards go down to $-500, I will be getting a magma or such and expanding to at least HD4. I have a PCI UAD-1 in the top legacy PCI slot, 1 UAD-2 Solo and 1 UAD-2 Duo. All slots filled.
I upgraded my rig to two 2.66 Xeon Quad Cores (8 Cores) about 4 months ago. Was about a grand but was worth it. I have 16 gigs of Ram and running SnowLeapord, (XP32), and Windows 7(64). All stable. Windows 7 is smoken fast and is the OS I prefer.

At 48KHz, I couldn't max out this system if I tried to. Even at 96KHz, it would be hard to make this thing hic-cup!

PT could go Native all they wanted to and it would bother me in the least. My system is rock solid and adding just one more accel card would be just the overkill that I need. Hey we are GearSlutz!

Unless music drastically changes over the next 10 years, this system is hear to stay. I will now focus on building my outboard and getting one more Lynx Aurora 16 when people start buying the new interfaces and prices go down on them on the used market.
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Opinion? Pleaseeee. This company has a tendency to condition people into thinking 500$ is a cheap thing.
in a world where a nice vocal mic is $3k and good preamps are $1000 a channel, $500 IS a cheap thing

Quote:
how would you know?

Did Santa bring you an HD and no customers came?
I had the same experience as RonT. Big boost in my business.

Quote:
2- If a card has been sitting in your computer computing calculations, sucking voltage for the past 5 years your item is not MINT.
because it is 'using up' all those ones and zeroes?

you sour grapes are showing again, Dream. Your corner of the world is not the whole world.

one day hopefully, with hard work and some luck, your financial picture will change. Maybe then you will let go of some of the bitterness.
Old 23rd September 2010
And then Avid drops support and you are SOL on software upgrades. Might not happen but always something to consider with old proprietary gear.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Because the use of the gear, the power and the heat, put wear and tear on it. You really think that a card that was used for 5 years is just as "mint" as one that sat in a box for five years (or a brand new one). "Mint" seems like a questionable term to use for a PCI card.
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Maniac

mm good price for the card. time for a expansion chasis?but i havent maxed out the system yet,its just the gearslut inside me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Yup

PS Hi Dream,"great" to see you in one more PTHD thread.so you still dont like HEAT?lolz
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq

in a world where a nice vocal mic is $3k and good preamps are $1000 a channel, $500 IS a cheap thing

Quote:
how would you know?

Did Santa bring you an HD and no customers came?

Quote:

you sour grapes are showing again, Dream. Your corner of the world is not the whole world.

one day hopefully, with hard work and some luck, your financial picture will change. Maybe then you will let go of some of the bitterness.
Spot on Mike Connelly.

I use HD all the time bro. Just not at my hizz.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A.
mm good price for the card. time for a expansion chasis?but i havent maxed out the system yet,its just the gearslut inside me!!!

Yup

PS Hi Dream,"great" to see you in one more PTHD thread.so you still dont like HEAT?lolz
I know, right?!

Actually I used heat last weekend and I thought it was cool. I abused it thoroughly.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
It just feels like paying a lot for software that has hardware attached to it...like a members only club.
Like this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search