The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Compressor setup
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

Compressor setup

Hi, just got a dbx compressor, Have my condeser mic into the compressor, then the compressor into my m audio soundcard which then goes to the computer. I just realised that the mic no longer will get the phantom power from the soundcard, how do you overcome this? Thanks
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Nut

Mic -> Preamp -> compressor -> A/D

Rack gear is designed to work with line level signals only. Mic level needs to go to a preamp before hitting other gear. Always. Unless the gear has a preamp built in.
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

But the preamp is built into the m-audio card, so I can't see how I can do it?
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Nut

Compressor setup

Which interface do you have?? Some of them have insert points which is what you would use, using a y cable to go from the inser point, To the i/o of the compressor
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

I have the M-audio fast track pro. It has two trs input and output on back, and 2 combi mic insets on front. I have the DBX 266xl compressor. If I route the mic straight to the M-audio then how can I wire the compressor into the setup so that the computer records the output from the compressor?

Thanks for any help.
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Fearn, You're going to need a external mic preamp to track with the compressor. The compressor won't have enough signal to work with coming straight from the mic. The signal needs to be attenuated to line level for the comp to have a signal to work with. Some compressors do have enough gain in the input stage to double as a mic pre but that is beyond the scope of your situation and is a unconventional approach.

Lazarus Long has the clear answer to your question: Mic -> Preamp -> compressor -> A/D

I know it can be frustrating to make a purchase and discover that you need to make another one. But this is the case here.

Another approach would be to not track with the comp. Then you could send it out of your interface through the comp and back in to your daw. This can raise other concerns - extra conversion (I have yet to really find this to be a problem and is a topic of debate which opposing opinions should be respected) and you will have to deal with the latency created by the trips in and out of the daw if there is more tracks than just that one.

I assume you're just starting out. I would be sure to ask questions and use the search function before any further purchases so you can make the right decisions. Some people will jump down your throat for asking "newbie" questions that have been covered 1,000 times but skrew 'em. There are plenty of friendly, helpful people here willing to help as much as they can. Also be sure to utilize any friends or acquaintances around you that can help out before spending your hard earned money.
Old 22nd September 2010
Here for the gear

Ok thanks alot Dusty. I'll ask you if you know of a budget mic amp with no colouring? I'll do a search aswell. Thanks
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearn View Post
Ok thanks alot Dusty. I'll ask you if you know of a budget mic amp with no colouring? I'll do a search aswell. Thanks
Your welcome. What's your price range? Do you record with ribbon mics or dynamics(sm7b or re20 for example) that need lots of gain ? Also, will you need 1 or 2 channels?
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Maniac

The M-audio fast track pro has channel inserts. I just looked at a picture on the web. Buy an insert cable from your local music store. Plug the trs side of the new cable into the M-audio fast track pro insert jack then the send receive ends into the 266. Read the manual for the M-audio fast track pro to understand how the inserts work.
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Maniac

here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Compressor setup-drawing1.jpg  
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut View Post
The M-audio fast track pro has channel inserts. I just looked at a picture on the web. Buy an insert cable from your local music store. Plug the trs side of the new cable into the M-audio fast track pro insert jack then the send receive ends into the 266. Read the manual for the M-audio fast track pro to understand how the inserts work.
There ya go. You got off easy this time. I know how easy it is to get excited about buying a new piece of gear especially when you got the money for it. Be sure to fully research in the future before you buy. Good luck to you and have fun!
Old 23rd September 2010
Here for the gear

Wow thanks guys. So what is that lead I need, is it just a 1/4 inch from the m-audio that splits into 2 and goes into the input and output of the 266?.
Old 23rd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearn View Post
Wow thanks guys. So what is that lead I need, is it just a 1/4 inch from the m-audio that splits into 2 and goes into the input and output of the 266?.
When you go to the music store ask specifically for a 1/4 inch insert cable. Be sure you hook up the send and receive correctly. The send should go into the compressor's input. The receive should go into the output. The Single ended (tip,ring,sleeve) goes into the insert on your interface.

Here's a link to the exact cable you will need from Sweetwater.
This is cheap and I think the shipping is free. A Hosa cable should be good enough until you start upgrading your rig down the road. Now get to making that music!!!
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Addict

If ya go to GC make sure they understand INSERT CABLE - ya may wanna have them actually describe it. Killed an hour and a half driving there to get an 8 channel one a while back and they didn't know the diff between an 8 channel snake and an 8 channel insert snake.

Me: Yeah I called and you guys said you had a box of insert cables but I don't see them.

Cool GC guy with bad tattoo: Bro - they're right over there in the box by the wall...

Me: You mean those 8 channel snakes that aren't insert cables?
Old 23rd September 2010
Here for the gear

Ok got and its all working thanks everyone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search