The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adam A8X or S3A's...Help me decide! Studio Monitors
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

Adam A8X or S3A's...Help me decide!

So I'm upgrading Adam monitors and need some help deciding. I know...try them. Wish I could, but the S3A's are a used pair that are out of state.

I can get the S3A's for $2600 or the A8X's new at about $1800.

Are the S3A's worth the price jump?

Thanks for the help. I can't find these two referenced together anywhere.

Last edited by swimtoview; 21st September 2010 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: found it
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Dude you got to be kidding right? A 3 way system with better speaker components and better amps is a big improvement over a 2 way system with lower end components inside. Better translation, better definition in the mids and better bass. No contest
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

Hah, I knew I'd catch some flack on that, but it was worth it. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I've stretched the budget as far as I can with other gear and really needed to know the extra cash was worth it.

I've been a songwriter / player for most of my music biz days. Been mixing for a few years, but never considered stepping up monitors. Couldn't justify the cost in a small ****ty room plus I was always more focused on the emotional content of the music translating rather than my engineer / mix skills.

Getting more on the studio side of things now and came across what seems to be a good price on the s3a's. Think I'll notice a difference between my dfegad NS10's and HS50m's?

Kidding...thanks again for the help. Just needed a vote of confidence as I haven't heard the two. I know either is a world apart from the yamaha's, but I want to make sure and get the best if the price is right.

Keep putting out music. The world needs it...
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Make sure you have a couple of bass traps and panels in your studio too.
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

I would like to point out though, that whilst the S3A's are better, the A8X's are great speakers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search