The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
R.i.p. Jimi hendrix
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

R.i.p. Jimi hendrix

Hey, just wanted to give a shout out to Jimi.(Becuase in heaven you have unlimited internet access and i know he'll read this... lol) Jimi Hendrix was only 27 when he died 40 years ago, on September 18, 1970. he was too young to die, yet within his short life, he inspired countless musicians, and to this day he is recognized for his creativity and just pure awesomeness.

I recently recorded a track as a mic test to test out my new 414 xls, and some other mics as well.... and as it kept on building, i decided to just go ahead and get our drummer and bassist to lay down some tracks, and we decided to keep it as a cover tune. funnily enough, i finnally finished it today and it happened to be the anniversary of his death! I thought this was a happy coincidence, and wanted to share it, so here it is...

one thing i will say is that i like constructive criticism, and as i'm only 19, and just getting really into audio, any comments would be awesome! also, ive been pretty self conscious about my singing, and guitar work, but again... im only nineteen, so please take it easy one me...lol.

ALSO i converted it from wav to mp3, so convert it back if you'd like , for quality...(not totally sure how much it suffers from being converted twicebut... yeah?)

R.I.P Jimi, this is for you!
Attached Files

Little Wing Cover.mp3 (9.27 MB, 9173 views)

Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah and I'm Spartacus Mr Cornell... heh
Old 19th September 2010
7+1
Lives for gear

19 years old....?

you did good.. and dont be insecure with your voice.. its good.. and pure.. it doesnt sound like you are trying to be anything from this generation of young musicians..

keep going.. and great work!!
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

you sound really, really great red house.
great playing. great singing.
enjoy your young life.

be well

- jack
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Yeah and I'm Spartacus Mr Cornell... heh

haha..? not to be rude but i'm not sure what you mean?... lol
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

And thank you very much firemoon, maidsroom, and... 8? haha? i eventually might want to redo the solo... but the guys in the band were saying that i was taking like a million years to do it, and just to do it all in one shot instead of punching in.. i liked the result without punches, a lot of mistakes, but they're kind of cool mistakes, lol. im glad you liked it though haha. i was actually kind of nervous about posting it up here, because i read through and listen to soooo many of peoples recordings, and like their myspaces and stuff and for the most part, they are like rediculously awesome sounding, and my mixing and mastering is nowhere near them, haha.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHouse View Post
And thank you very much firemoon, maidsroom, and... 8? haha? i eventually might want to redo the solo... but the guys in the band were saying that i was taking like a million years to do it, and just to do it all in one shot instead of punching in.. i liked the result without punches, a lot of mistakes, but they're kind of cool mistakes, lol. im glad you liked it though haha. i was actually kind of nervous about posting it up here, because i read through and listen to soooo many of peoples recordings, and like their myspaces and stuff and for the most part, they are like rediculously awesome sounding, and my mixing and mastering is nowhere near them, haha.

Son I could not quit listening to the piece.

I kept expecting some passages as the song progressed to need something.

"IT NEVER HAPPENED"

I enjoyed every thing about the piece certainly your playing but the recording was great.

Your "Little Wing" is the best damn piece since I've been on Gearslutz.

It's so good I'd like you to treat us again in the future.

"Now For Your Next Assignment"

"RED HOUSE"

What do you say RedHouse a little more tasteful expressive guitar for the Slutzs?

Hell of a piece of work and thanks for sharing.

Regards, ,,deda,,
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

That was Very Nice!

Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Really sweet, fresh take on a very familiar classic Red (especially loved the slide touch)! Thanks for crafting such an appropriate observation on this sad but memorable date. It's obvious you have the fire, the passion ... which is sorely lacking from so much that passes for music these days.

-- fly on brother --
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Yes, Jimi was the man. I was 17 years old when I saw he Jimi Hendrix Experience play in a small venue-- 500 people max. It was a little dance auditorium outside of Salt Lake City, Utah at the Lagoon amusement park. A bunch of folding chairs and a stage.

There was a wall of Sunn amplifiers (not Marshall). Usually bands would walk out on stage and screw around for a few minutes doing mic checks, "test, test, test" and tune their guitars, make a few drum adjustments et.

The Experience walked decisively onto the state. I heard only the pop as Jimi plugged the cord into his white Stratocaster. He immediately launched the guitar intro to Johnny B. Goode. They pushed and pulled the beat all over the place. Many mistakes were made, but they were beautiful and the Experience was working their asses off. Jimi just poured it on with his acrobatics that no one has been able to even come close to imitating-- ever.

They were so incredibly musical and creative. He really pushed the limits and did so many things on the guitar that people would not have dreamed possible. In doing so their was just the right amount of slop, but they always landed on their feet when they went out on a limb.

No one has been able to imitate the raw talent. I have a feeling that if he were alive today he would be putting new and creative spins on all of his songs, if he cared to even do them anymore.
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Head

OMG...I am sure Jimmy would have liked it.
Take care.
Old 19th September 2010
"when people value the power of love over the love of power, there will be peace"

- jmi hendrix
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deda View Post
Hell of a piece of work and thanks for sharing.,
Well done, lad.............

.........you played that thing with a focused abandonment that reminded me of........well, Hendrix.
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

loved it!
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Very cool !!!
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Great voice, great playing, great tribute. If this is you at 19 you're going to really be something by 25. I envy you!

-Alex
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed this... loved the solo's !

RIP Jimi !
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Guru

really good, guitar and vocals, if it had not just been a test I would have to admit maybe thats the wrong mic, preamp etc, the vocal could have sit better in the mix, maybe its the mp3....

Overall great dude.......
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

He was great, not only as musician and singer, but also did experiment with production in studio. I heared that he drove his producer Chas Chandler mad with his experiments and that in a certain occasion just quit and he took over the board to do it himself with the engineer... with Electric Ladyland as result.

But Hendrix, with only 3 albums, was one of the greatest in the history of pop music from the last 100 years, i agree fully with that.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it very much
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Maniac
Good morning...
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Addict

WHAT!!??!!

jimi hendrix is DEAD!!??!!

NOOOOOOOOOO..........
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeptusmajor View Post
WHAT!!??!!

jimi hendrix is DEAD!!??!!

NOOOOOOOOOO..........
Give this tune another listen...........some part of him may still be lingering.
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Maniac

WOW!!This is really great!!Its like a mix between Jimis version and Stevies version.Some nice soul in there.I love your guitar work as well.Your little uses of your stuccato's and arpeggios were smooth and swweet to listen to.I would love to hear some of your other work.What kind of music do you usually play?

Thanks for this.Put a smile on my face this morning.I am very envious of you as well.You are going to very well my friend!
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Maniac

WOW you sound great!! And RIP Jimi
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Guru

I was fortunate enough to see Jimi Hendrix live 3 times!

The first time when I was 14 at the Washington Hilton International Ballroom
and twice at the Baltimore Civic Center.

It's hard to believe that it has been 40 years.

May his memory live on forever!
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

Wow haha thanks for all the positive feedback!

Sounds Great- yes , they are quite old recordings i think we were 17/18 when i recorded them, and there is no mastering at all done to them, so over all its very basic beginning mixing. its in our myspace which is in the tag at the end of this message.

AllAboutTone - yeah i was kind of hoping to expand my gear... this is all done on an early 90's ITB machine, Roland vs2480 with all software and hardware expansions- nothing else though... although i do love the machine, for its ease of use and user freindly interface, i am thinking about getting a few nice preamps, i find the onboard pres are a bit harsh. and the vox were my first ever recording with a tube mic, akg perception 820.

It's awesome hearing stories of concerts that i wasn't even around to know about.... sometimes i wish i was born like 70 years ago, and could have seen shows and acts that i always hear and read about lol.... SO JELOUS.

and deda, I think i can come up with something haha, might be a while though!

again thanks for all the input guys! im honestly surprised hahah with how well everyone is responding!
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Nut

Sorry time bandit forgot to answer you,

i listen to anything that i can hear, but it almost always comes out somewhat bluesy and jazzy, espescially when we write/ jam stuff. our drummer is a freak of nature, (to me anyways) i love death metal drumming, its just mindblowing, and he loves it too... its fun to jam with hahaha. and our bassist is also amazingly good, he reallly digs experimental tones and stuff, and loves guys like J.P, wooten, but also early R & B styles of "bassin" which is awesome! sometimes i feel like a pud playing with these guys, theyre so good, and i just kinda jam haha. but to answer your question man mostly blues/rocky tunes, so far at least.... we're playing alot more shows and writing alot more stuff, and its starting to change our sound to a more dark sounding bluesy jazzy rocky metally, everythingy kind of sound. haha.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

VERY nicely done. To be 19 and have such a sense of space bodes well for you. Takes some folks decades to get there.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Nice playing Redhouse......I think you're going to be a real powerhouse in years to come.

Quote:
Your "Little Wing" is the best damn piece since I've been on Gearslutz
..............mmm, not sure about that..............think you need to check the works in progress more often.....some nice origonal stuff crops up there once in a while.

Quote:
Son I could not quit listening to the piece.
.................Ah it's clear now you're his dad

hey Redhouse you really should check this guy out he's a GS....fantsatic fusion/blues palyer.

Matt Grondin - New Album Out! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search