The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UBK is a kick ass drummer :)
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

UBK is a kick ass drummer :)

Hey guys.

Well i was going to wait until the project was all done to share this, but we've stopped working on it for a few months and I feel like sharing today

I was able to twist Greg's arm early this year into playing a few drum tracks for an EP my wife and I were putting together.

Last summer before we moved out of our previous house my wife recorded one take versions of the 5 songs, sitting with guitar and vocal. As I recall it was a U87 on vocal, M160 on guitar, and AT4050 in figure 8 as a room mic. It was a nice room and I'm glad i captured it. No real treatment but it was a 150 year old wood house so it had some vibe.

Over christmas I convinced Greg to do this. When I was talking to him about it, he said to me more or less that he wouldn't have much time, so he could "take a crack" at all 5 songs at once... OR, just do one song, with a bunch of back and fourth tweaks on the parts.

I love randomness, and I know Greg is a tasteful dude, so I preferred the "all 5 songs, take a crack at it approach"

This all happened in January. Greg I think sat down a total of two times to work through the 3 songs. I got one version from him synched to the guitar and vocal guide tracks.

He sent me his drums recorded with a 4 mic setup, kick snare and two kit mics. He sent a totally dry version, and another where he may have added in some compression or EQ, but perhaps neither. He just tried to give me an alternate sound to work with. In the case of "the pirate" i think i used his treated version exclusively. In "Never Could Have" I think I used exclusively the naked original version, and in "Walking" I used a blend of both.

With walking he used a valley people dynamite for the smashing compression which was a treat for me because I didn't really know much about them at the time. We seemed to think alike on the approaches because as I was asking him to "crush" this track he said something like "don't worry, already working on it, you'll love it".

In any case, these are one takes. I may have edited ONE stray note of his in one song somewhere, but I know that at least two of them are as they came to me. The playing is superb. Check out the build and let down of Never Could Have. All he had was guide guitar and vocal, and no instruction. He knew exactly where i was going to take that song.

All bass is my hoffner club direct and the keyboards are my nord stage direct. Vocals and acoustic are the original guide tracks.

Walking doesn't kick in until halfway through so be ready.

I really don't think we'll replace the guide vocals, they sound sweet to me.

I did spend a lot of time mixing these months ago, but they sort of "fell together" due to the musicianship.

Thanks again Greg. Enjoy guys.

Russell

Tea Jae - Walking - SoundCloud

Tea Jae - Never Could Have - SoundCloud

Tea Jae - The Pirate - SoundCloud
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Addict

"Never could have" is sweet! Drums match up great with the rest of the tracks and overall a very vibey, cool sound... love the dark cymbals.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Really nice tunes!

Love the immediacy that you got from that recording environment.

Oh....yeah....the drumming........very tasteful.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you guys! Yep this stuff was very fun to put together. Came together really quickly and easily. Love when that happens.

Russell
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds great, Russell!

Brad
Old 23rd September 2010
500 series nutjob

UBK is a kick ass drummer

he must be a good guy then: )~
Old 1st May 2015
Lives for gear

All those versions of songs long died. Here is the new version of the one that survived with Mr. Gregory Scott on the kit.

Russell

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search