The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Widening XY overheads in a mix?? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 16th September 2010
Gear Addict

Widening XY overheads in a mix??

I've searched the forums and can't find quite what I'm looking for. So here goes with yet another XY thread...

In most situations I really prefer spaced drum overheads hard panned. But when the song calls for a really natural and focused drum tone, XY is great. My problem is that I'm mixing a song that should have been spaced but isn't. It's forcing me to use a bit more room mic than I want to, and it still feels more mono than I'd like.

So do any of you have any tricks for making the XY overheads sound wider?

Thanks!
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

This is likely one of those things that will not make or break a mix IMO. You can try time delaying on side but that gets scary in a hurry. I would go with it.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

You can still MS process them during mix.
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks, guys. That wasn't the answer I was hoping for...but it was what I was expecting. Oh well...I'll take what I've got and make it sound awesome anyway!

Thanks again!
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Addict

You can try a stereo imager, but I would just leave it. Wide ping pong stereo drums sounds are highly overrated in my opinion.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear
40ms delay on one side
Old 17th September 2010
Widening XY overheads in a mix??

10ms delay on the right overhead track (assuming the overheads are drummers perspective) should get you started. Then roll off the highs a little on the right side and boost a little low mid.

This won't transform your XY overheads into spaced pair, but it should at least move you somewhere in between. If you have access to a Little Labs IBP, that might really help...I've never tried one in this specific situation but as I'm writing this I'm making a note to do that next time I encounter this problem. You can fake the time and tone differences with delay and eq, but phase differences are much more complicated. The Little Labs could actually be a savior for something like this. I know there are plugin versions of the IBP, but I can't attest to how good they are. In my experience with voodoo hardware units (Transient Designer and IBP) the software versions aren't even close.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search