The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid prototyping ProTools HD with Lightpeak Audio Interfaces
Old 14th September 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Avid prototyping ProTools HD with Lightpeak

Shown off at the Intel event that's on-going this week:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....eak800-010.jpg

Looks like an HD I/O connected via LightPeak to a laptop running Pro Tools.

A little more info: Intel's Light Peak optical interconnect shrinks slightly, LaCie, WD, Compal and Avid begin prototyping -- Engadget

Maybe a hint toward their future?
Old 14th September 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
dominic hoenig's Avatar
 

this could be cool!
Old 14th September 2010
  #3
Good find. Therein might be the "HD native" solution that so many have been screaming out for.

Instead of the traditional "core card" they may do an Avid-branded Expresscard or PCIe card which has no TDM capability...

But I'm just guessing.
Old 14th September 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Suda Badri's Avatar
 

Without TDM architechture, HD native wont be so cool...
Old 14th September 2010
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Without TDM architechture, HD native wont be so cool...
I disagree.
Old 14th September 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

symphony i/o uses light peak technology to communicate to logic.
They also said their hd support wasnt ready yet, which is preculiar because the rosetta was already compatible....

i bet when avid releases their LP technology in november along with hd native the symphony i/o will be ready for PTHD.

hmmm
Old 14th September 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
audiogeek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Without TDM architechture, HD native wont be so cool...
+1.

Isn't the whole point of HD to have TDM processing? Sure, there are a few other (small IMO) differences in features, but by far the greatest difference between HD and LE is the Core card that takes the processing load off the host.

I don't care how new your computer is, the ability to delegate that processing role to something other than the host will always be a step up.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic here. Just making a point, feel free to disregard, for the purposes of this thread.

Last edited by audiogeek; 14th September 2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Off topic, I guess
Old 14th September 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Avening's Avatar
 

Very cool.

Maybe a direct competitor to the new Symphony Mobile/Logic rig from Apogee? If so, and if it can work with my current 192i/o, or even the latest hardware offerings from Apogee, I'm in.
Old 14th September 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
lynngraber's Avatar
i think the point of "HD" is to get "High Definition" audio. It USED to take TDM to do this, now it doesn't. All you need is a computer and High Def IO of some sort.
Old 14th September 2010
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
RoyJeeBiv's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post
i think the point of "HD" is to get "High Definition" audio. It USED to take TDM to do this, now it doesn't. All you need is a computer and High Def IO of some sort.
thumbsup

i'm still reserving judgment until everything is released and reviewed, but it appears the Digidesign-to-Avid transition isn't the simple re-brand that many assumed it would be.
Old 14th September 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Avid prototyping ProTools HD with Lightpeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri
Without TDM architechture, HD native wont be so cool...
I agree
Old 14th September 2010
  #12
Gear Addict
 
adogg4629's Avatar
 

Need more info

Before I get a woody over this, I want to make sure that this is really pro tools running and not a new version of Media Composer with a similar mix tool to pro tools (Avid's Merridian system used to run audio off a repackaged 888 back in the day). The article specifies that avid is running the HD video. another option could be that this is a new version of video satelite. Or just the avid video engine running with some skins on top. So until I see a unit in front of me i'll classify this under vaporware.
Old 15th September 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
thenoiseflower's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suda Badri View Post
Without TDM architechture, HD native wont be so cool...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
+1.

I don't care how new your computer is, the ability to delegate that processing role to something other than the host will always be a step up.
Gospel
Old 15th September 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
PMoshay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghous View Post
It USED to take TDM to do this, now it doesn't. All you need is a computer and High Def IO of some sort.
unless you need some headphone outs for a whole band to play live together with a 32 input session with plug-in's..............Then the buzz killer, you have to bypass all your cool plug in's that cause lotsa latency because they work off the host processor, which is fast, but some of the plug in's report latency well, some don't.
All of the sudden, "What's happening with my phase?????? i'm confused here, what changed???????..... then you pop out of record and it changes again..... wow, maybe thats better....... hmmmmmmmm?..... what was i listening to when i was recording?????

This is just a simulation of a possibility / probability, no musicians or engineers were hurt in process of typing this simulation, but there is a possibility of a producers brain exploding if this were to actually happen.
Do not try this at home without adult supervision (unless you are an adult, then get a kid to supervise)


P.S...... not that live sessions really happen anymore anyways.
Old 15th September 2010
  #15
Gear Head
 

True, the power of HD/TDM is in the negligible latency while tracking, but native (with proper ADC of course) is just fine and dandy if you're just mixing. So a Native HD option would great for people like myself who do a lot of mixing at home.

Just wish that Avid would let users buy features a la cart. MPT is a good deal for music production but CPT is just way to expensive and has loads of options that I really have no need for, There needs to be a middle option that gives you VCAs and expanded session import options that are sorely lacking in Mpowered and LE. There's no reason that extended software features can't be implemented in LE/MP.
Heck, I'd be willing to forgo ADC to get everything else. (I bought Mellowmuse ATA and moved on with my life.)

Sorry to go off topic
Old 15th September 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
PMoshay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
True, the power of HD/TDM is in the negligible latency while tracking, but native (with proper ADC of course) is just fine and dandy if you're just mixing. So a Native HD option would great for people like myself who do a lot of mixing at home.

Just wish that Avid would let users buy features a la cart. MPT is a good deal for music production but CPT is just way to expensive and has loads of options that I really have no need for, There needs to be a middle option that gives you VCAs and expanded session import options that are sorely lacking in Mpowered and LE. There's no reason that extended software features can't be implemented in LE/MP.
Heck, I'd be willing to forgo ADC to get everything else. (I bought Mellowmuse ATA and moved on with my life.)

Sorry to go off topic
Just have a little patients and you will have many wishes come true, I believe good news is just around the corner.

The other thing to believe is that HD is not going away regardless of much of the speculation here on GS.

For those who bet against the minds and will at Avid, you have a tough game betting against them as they gamble their lives on their products. As someone who makes a living using their products, I applaud their durability and ability to keep delivering.
Old 16th September 2010
  #17
Gear Head
 

http://images.anandtech.com/gallerie...tPeak-8200.jpg

this would appear to be HD software.
Old 16th September 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transputer View Post
http://images.anandtech.com/gallerie...tPeak-8200.jpg

this would appear to be HD software.
It certainly looks like it.

The question is what Avid interface is that? Is it a prototype that has the DSP built in?
Old 16th September 2010
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
It certainly looks like it.

The question is what Avid interface is that? Is it a prototype that has the DSP built in?
Perhaps it has, just as Avid have implemented in mbox 3
Old 16th September 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Avid prototyping ProTools HD with Lightpeak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay

Just have a little patients and you will have many wishes come true, I believe good news is just around the corner.

The other thing to believe is that HD is not going away regardless of much of the speculation here on GS.

For those who bet against the minds and will at Avid, you have a tough game betting against them as they gamble their lives on their products. As someone who makes a living using their products, I applaud their durability and ability to keep delivering.
They can stay, put the price is insane. Way to expensive, even in the midst of all it's good graces. Price needs to reflect 2011
Old 17th September 2010
  #21
Gear Head
 
gclef101's Avatar
 

Check this out.... EETimes DL Compact Player
Old 17th September 2010
  #22
Gear Head
 
gclef101's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrown View Post
symphony i/o uses light peak technology to communicate to logic.
They also said their hd support wasnt ready yet, which is preculiar because the rosetta was already compatible....

i bet when avid releases their LP technology in november along with hd native the symphony i/o will be ready for PTHD.

hmmm
Just curious, where did you see that the Symphony I/O uses Light Peak? Because I hope so. I am buying one hehhehheh !!!
Old 17th September 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrown View Post
symphony i/o uses light peak technology to communicate to logic.
They also said their hd support wasnt ready yet, which is preculiar because the rosetta was already compatible....

i bet when avid releases their LP technology in november along with hd native the symphony i/o will be ready for PTHD.

hmmm
How is symphony using lightpeak when Intel is not done developing lightpeak and they said it will not be ready to be in products until sometime in 2011. Did apogee buy an early copy of lightpeak that's not ready?

video of avid hooked up to light peak
Old 17th September 2010
  #24
Gear Head
 
gclef101's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
How is symphony using lightpeak when Intel is not done developing lightpeak and they said it will not be ready to be in products until sometime in 2011. Did apogee buy an early copy of lightpeak that's not ready?

video of avid hooked up to light peak
That's what I am trying to figure out...
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Rick Sanchez / Post Production forum
80
Ace'Lo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
tedpenn / So Much Gear, So Little Time
13
u b k / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
14

Forum Jump
Forum Jump