The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any OTB to ITB converts? Summing Mixers
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
see, to me compression is where plugs fall down the most.

you are admitting a 'slight difference'

I still say even slight differences are actually huge when you can pick one up on every track
Yes, there is a slight difference but I didn`t say one was better than the other. They each have their place, Personally, I have a difficult time validating a compressor that costs $1500+ if I get similar results with plugs that cost a fraction of that. ymmv

I am fortunate to have access to some really nice compressors: Distressors, 1176, Urei 1178, Manley Vari-Mu... but again, I can get some slamming sounds out of my CLA bundle, the H Comp, the Renaissance Comp, the C4 as well so again.... ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
slight differences are actually huge when you are trying to push the envelope, which is something we all should be doing every day.
"Pushing the envelope"...? That sure sounds nice and professional but what exactly does it mean? Please explain.
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusRant View Post
I think the two biggest issues with ITB vs OTB mixing is gain staging and the over use of procesing. When I was mixing OTB, I didn't have a comp on every track. Every track didn't have reverb, chorus, delay, etc. I EQed as needed.
Yet, I see a lot of people mixing in the box that use at least one plugin on every track, regardless if it's needed. It's more of I can so I should mentality that ruins more mixes IMO than most anything else.
thumbsup
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

I've been going back and forth ITB/OTB and hybrid for a few years now and I love ITB for recall ability and general creative approach you have with instantaneous exact recall but......

I can't seem to get the vibrant bass and soundfield ITB that I can OTB just from passing through a console but it can be at the expense of it sounding little more hazy from going through the extra conversion.

I'm not saying that my ITB mixes are garbage or 180 degrees from my otb but the ITB still sounds a little more plasticy, a little smaller and not as open for lack of a better description.

The good news is that it has sharpened my skills in all 3 mixing formats and narrowed the differences between them but I still hear the difference as do my clients.

I'm not an analog snob and still mix ITB quite a bit but after 30 years of doing this I trust my ears to guide what is right for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search