The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can anyone ID this mic?
Old 12th September 2010
Here for the gear

Can anyone ID this mic?

The Grateful Dead used these mics (for vox) in the late 80's-early 90's. I posed the question to Dan Healey their old soundman thinking he would definitely know, but he says he thought they might have been Beyers, but wasn't sure. I have been searching quite a bit, and the only mic that I can find that resembles it is an old Sennheiser MD-416 U. He said they definitely weren't an Audix either. They were black with a small tube, and kind of a spider web basket holding the ball. Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
Can anyone ID this mic?-mic.jpg 
Old 12th September 2010
Lives for gear

Milab LSR-1000 or LSR-3000 or similar older
http://www.milabmic.com/showmics.asp

Matti
Old 12th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Milab LSR-1000 or LSR-3000 or similar older
Milab Microphones - Microphone range

Matti
it sure looks like it....thanks!!
Old 13th September 2010
Gear Head

Milab LC-25

Hi guys,

Most of our handhelds look quite similar on the outside, so it's hard to tell on a picture like this. But I know for a fact that the Grateful Dead used the LC-25 - our first hand held condenser. The LC-25 has been discontinued, and the current models would be the LSR-1000 or LSR-3000, just like Matti pointed out.

http://www.milabmic.com/historic_mics.asp

I've been told that they also used the VIP-50 for studio vocals.

Oh - and that's our own shockmount in the picture - model 3227.

/Mattias
Old 17th September 2010
Here for the gear

thanks very much for that info Mattias. I have my friend at Guitar Center in Warwick RI looking into getting me an LSR-1000, but I'm not sure they can order mics from you. I know he wasn't having much luck in trying to order one while I was there, but he said he'd check into it further & get back to me. I'd prefer the 3000 but I think that may be a bit beyond my budget. I will also be ordering the shock mount as well.

Thanks again (Matti & Mattias)!
Jeff
stike

Just noticed there is also an LSR-2000 while doing comparisons. Any chance you could post msr prices for all 3 Mattias??
Old 19th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknife View Post
thanks very much for that info Mattias. I have my friend at Guitar Center in Warwick RI looking into getting me an LSR-1000, but I'm not sure they can order mics from you. I know he wasn't having much luck in trying to order one while I was there, but he said he'd check into it further & get back to me. I'd prefer the 3000 but I think that may be a bit beyond my budget. I will also be ordering the shock mount as well.

Thanks again (Matti & Mattias)!
Jeff
stike

Just noticed there is also an LSR-2000 while doing comparisons. Any chance you could post msr prices for all 3 Mattias??
Hi Jeff.

Sorry for making you wait - I don't check in every day.

Our mics should be available through Guitar Center. We have a great distributor in the US and I think they are set up with GC. I think it's better if you discuss pricing with them or if you have your GC store contact them.

You'll find contact info for FDW-Worldwide here:

Contact Us | Milab USA

Talk to Shawn McLoughlin.

Thanks,

Mattias
Old 19th September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias_Milab View Post
Hi Jeff.

Sorry for making you wait - I don't check in every day.

Our mics should be available through Guitar Center. We have a great distributor in the US and I think they are set up with GC. I think it's better if you discuss pricing with them or if you have your GC store contact them.

You'll find contact info for FDW-Worldwide here:

Contact Us | Milab USA

Talk to Shawn McLoughlin.

Thanks,

Mattias
no problem at all Mattias! I appreciate the info & advise. I was just looking at an LC-25 (new) on eBay from an Australian seller (see link below). He also has LSR-2000s but I think it might not be a good idea in case I have any problems. I'm not sure how a warranty would work. I just want to get my hands on one quickly. I think my realistic option would be the LSR1000 as much as I would like to buy a LSR3000 it may be beyond my budget. I will call my contact at Guitar Center on Monday, and give him the info you provided. If he is not successful I will call Shawn myself.

Thanks again Mattias!

PS-I posted a GD pic to your facebook page

eBay Australia Store
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
no problem at all Mattias! I appreciate the info & advise. I was just looking at an LC-25 (new) on eBay from an Australian seller (see link below). He also has LSR-2000s but I think it might not be a good idea in case I have any problems. I'm not sure how a warranty would work. I just want to get my hands on one quickly. I think my realistic option would be the LSR1000 as much as I would like to buy a LSR3000 it may be beyond my budget. I will call my contact at Guitar Center on Monday, and give him the info you provided. If he is not successful I will call Shawn myself.

Thanks again Mattias!

PS-I posted a GD pic to your facebook page

eBay Australia Store
Hi Jeff!

If you are in the US I would strongly recommend getting the mic through our US distributor.

Good luck!

/Mattias
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

I actually ordered a 3000 through Guitar Center yesterday. The tech there called Shawn, and got the ball rolling for me. Hopefully I'll have it soon. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I actually ordered a 3000 through Guitar Center yesterday. The tech there called Shawn, and got the ball rolling for me. Hopefully I'll have it soon. Thanks again for all your help!
Good choice! I use the LSR-3000 myself.

/Mattias
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Nut
Very old thread, but I gotta say this is far and away my favorite mic for clean to breakup guitar cab recording. A condensor that you can use like a 57.Takes high spl's. No luck with distortion so far though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search