The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Radial J48 versus JDI--active versus passive DI
Old 21st December 2005
Lives for gear

Radial J48 versus JDI--active versus passive DI

I just got an Active DI (Radial J48). I have to employ the 15dB cut to make it not clip when I phantom power it on my apogee mini-me.
I'll use it for guitar and may be using it for digital piano. Would I be better off getting the Radial Passive JDI? I wonder if I would potentially get more hiss with the active DI.
Old 21st December 2005
Jai guru deva om

If there is potential for "adding" anything it's going to come from the J48 because it is active, that passive DI won't add a thing. But I've never noticed noise etc from the J48 myself, I've used both of those DI's a fair amount.

Of course the phantom power circuit in your preamp and other components could be suspect for issues, since the DI requires a mic preamp to finish the job.

The J48 is active and is essentially a preamp boosting your level and balancing it. The J48 may be better at passing along high frequencies than the JDI (I've yet to really shoot the two out against each other) but those JDI boxes are just super clean and nice. It's just so natural, and you're not going to clip it methinks.

The J48 claims very high headroom.

Common thinking for those boxes is, passive device use an active DI, active device use a passive DI.

My suggestion would be to try the JDI and see if it works out for you. If it doesn't, send it back.

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search