The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Making a Terrible room work from an acoustic point
Old 20th December 2005
no ssl yet 
Making a Terrible room work from an acoustic point

Guys, I finally got hold of a tape measure. I'm in a room that's 8'6"x10'9" with an 8 ft ceilings. The door is at one of the back corners so I dont have access to putting a panel in that corner. Thus far I have (what I could save from New ORleans)
6 4" pieces of 703, and 6, 2" pieces of 703

I'm thinking of placing 4" panels from corner to ceiling in 3 corners with a small piece of 4" (2x2" panels covered in GOM) over the door corner.

I'm thinking 2 2" panels at each of the side walls and 2 on the ceiling. Beyond this I'm at a loss for ideas and welcome whatever comments you guys have
Old 21st December 2005
Gear Addict

sounds good. don't feel you have to cover the whole ceiling and side walls with 703, just those spots which reflect sound directly from the speakers back to the mix position. another likely first reflection point will be parts of the front wall (behind the speakers).

you may also want to do something to the back wall, not necessarily absorption, could be diffusion, like a set of bookshelves with irregularly spaced books/CDs and other stuff on them. something to break up the reflection.

then again, you may find you want as much absorption as you can get -- this is likely to be a personal taste thing. probably the louder you monitor, the more absorption you will want.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search