The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Here is a picture of a guy still using an Atari for production as of july 2010 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 8th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob1 View Post
Atari, eh, video game stuff. Now the Commodore Amiga, that was an audio computer! Actually bought one with a midi keyboard and did some sequencing in 1986. My second son still uses some of the internal sounds and text to speech features on a 34 year old machine, floppies only! And the monitor is still decent if you can live with 16 colors...
HAH! I've still got my A2500 Video Toaster machine in storage. I had a PCM recording card in it with an early version of Samplitude, 2 TBCs and a Vectorscope and some other stuff. Still got the Phantom SMPTE/MIDI box as well.......

A friend of mine runs a media lab in Berkeley that still has several Toaster rigs.......
Old 9th September 2010
Lives for gear

I was bangin this baby with Pro 24 and a S950 from akai : holy **** !!

I trashed the atari and sold my s950 2 years ago at 150 euros
Old 9th September 2010
Here for the gear

Here is a picture of a guy still using an Atari for production as of july 2010

I miss the days of having an aggressive computer beating flashlight on hand. The newer gear can't stand up to the old fashioned "engineering" of the flashlight, however I rolled with a black mag lite back then
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I was bangin this baby with Pro 24 and a S950 from akai : holy **** !!

I trashed the atari and sold my s950 2 years ago at 150 euros
Trashed... wait 10 years and then sell on ebay...

Old 15th September 2010
Gear Addict

I still have my Atari too. Even though I don't use it anymore I can think of two good reasons why it still would make sense:
1. It doesn't make any noise (apart from the diskdrive)
2. MIDI timing is at least 20 times more accurate than any USB device you can buy now.

I guess that's called progress.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Head

Steffmo wrote:
Quote:
I taught Sly Stone about Midi on an ST, and he showed me how to cook crack in a microwave.....
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I'm wondering who got the better end of the deal?

I'm perplexed on how you could use a microwave to do this, but it is hands down the greatest feet of engineering I've read about on gearslutz all day.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackheadmuppet View Post
Steffmo wrote:
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I'm wondering who got the better end of the deal?

I'm perplexed on how you could use a microwave to do this, but it is hands down the greatest feet of engineering I've read about on gearslutz all day.
Maybe not Crack but here is a slew of other things you can do in the microwave.
Old 15th September 2010
Harmless Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
Atari and Cubase........

Best... smpte... sync..... evar! thumbsup
Second best SMPTE/MIDI lock.

C-LAB Notator with Unitor/Combiner on 1040STE is the best.

Remember that?

HOHOHO.

Ain't it hilarious anybody would ever have bothered to argue about that old stone age BS?

But hey... It was a big deal to MIDIots back then.

I know, I was one of them.

And, as one other poster noted... MIDI timing via USB is actually dreadfully suspect compared to the early days on Atari. At least that has always been the apparent/understood truth since audio went to Mac.

Of course... we're still doing the same type of moronic quarreling about audio production tools every day here on GS.

I just hope most folks realize it's all a lark and set about getting some work done as well.

Best regards,

SM.
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Addict

I have to buy vintage mics just to get something with a sensible capsule/circuit design that doesn't have massive phase shift.

I have to use a console from the early 80's just to have something modular that is designed for MIXING and not as a "DAW summing box."

I have to use a tape machine of the same vintage just to .... have a tape machine at all.

I have to buy vintage TAPE because at present there's only ONE KIND on the market and it's the wrong kind for my machine.

I have to use guitar amps that are 25+ years old because the "reissues" don't even SLIGHTLY RESEMBLE the originals.

I have to use ****ing TUBES that are even older just to get the same sound two days in a row.

I have to ride a 1972 Schwinn just to have a bike that doesn't pop spokes every other week and get cracks in the frame.

And now I have to buy a VINTAGE COMPUTER just to have acceptable MIDI timing?!?

KILL
DIE
SUFFER
WRITHE
BURN

Progress?

Did you say something about progress?

Come over here so I can progressively work an ice pick into your eye socket.

I apologize ... I forgot this is Gearslutz ... I meant to say that recording gear is better than ever and we are living in a sonic Golden Age.
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
The other day on Discovery Channel, I saw guy making fire by rubbing two sticks together.

I used to use only one, I couldn't afford a second.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordward View Post
Atari and Cubase........

Best... smpte... sync..... evar! thumbsup
My rig for years. No longer have the Atari but still have the Cubase software and dongle, along with the SMP24. Anyone looking for a dongle or SMP24?
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman View Post

C-LAB Notator with Unitor/Combiner on 1040STE is the best.

Remember that?

SM.
I still regret the day i sold my Atari Notator systems. I had two of them. One as a backup which NEVER got used. The thing was bullet proof. I dont think it crashed once in the years i had it. I had one of those breakout boxes that gave me an extra 3 midi outs.
Man.. im talking myself into finding one again. I probably still have the app disc heh
Old 8th October 2015
Here for the gear

Hello Everyone! Awesome... Fans!

Hybrid Arts products were used on lots of incredible projects worldwide! ADAP might still be used on The Simpsons (was used from the start and for many years for ALL dialogue!).

I'm the Founder/Inventor/Idea Guy of Hybrid Arts (Inc). I do Apps (22 on Apple Store as John Avatar) now but also am Producer/Editor and Production & Post Production Engineer. Virtually all products at HAI were my idea, except for a few Tom Bajoras products, which I did advise him on for the first few. Overall I "invented" a rounded 30 products at HAI (MIDIMate, SMPTEMate, MidiTrack, SMPTETrack, ADAP I, ADAP II, ADAP III, GenPatch, MidiPatch all versions, the HAI BBS and MIDI and other files global file sharing network which I also ran and GE asked me to duplicate on their Global Network GENIE, I also gave the worlds first LIVE CHAT from the UK in 1988... all before the Internet and many other products and projects), I also managed global sales including selling a franchise in Germany (Hybrid Arts Deutschland GMbH) to distribute to Europe for us and I produced and appeared at all events worldwide trade show and otherwise (it was awesome!!).

Currently... I am planning on opening a new Film/YouTube Studio in Santa Monica start of 2016.

My current website is JOHNAVATAT.com

I'm still programming. My newest Apps are;

MiMUSIC LANDSCAPE PLAYER by John Avatar*
https://appsto.re/us/Cxu-8.i‬

MiCLOCK Bedside & Elsewhere by John Avatar*
https://appsto.re/us/NeLK9.i‬

Flappy BitCoin Miner APP by John Avatar*
https://appsto.re/us/1_V6X.i‬

Im also on LinkedIn as John Avatar... Link up!

Sincerely,
Robert Moore
JOHNAVATAR.com
Santa Monica, CA 90402
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Nut

I'm still holding onto my C-64, partly for nostalgy value, but mostly for it's still-functioning MOS 6581 chip. And yeah, Ataris are also way cool! Brings back memories, fooling around with a tracker on an Atari Falcon..
Old 9th October 2015
I saw Craig Anderton mention in a video that the Amiga had a direct processor hardware interrupt from the MIDI port. That is why the MIDI timing is so good on that platform.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Well I don't use it anymore but... I still have the same 1040ST rig (all in the original boxes) with the Hybrid Arts SMPTE software so you could sync midi to video (that was my 1985 rig along with all my tape machines). I did a lot of corporate video work with that rig. I bet I could set it up and she'd still run.

Last 1040ST I saw went for over 300.00 on ebay! Apparently sometimes it pays to hold onto old useless gear.
sorry guys, no pictures or boxes , "but I have a top of the line" Mega 4ST and hybrid arts ADAP II !
and rackmount smpte box, scsi drive ( 760 MB !!! that was around $ 5,000 ! )

sorry for the poor typing, broke my wrist

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search