The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Record 48k via Rosetta or 96k direct to 002?
Old 2nd September 2010
Here for the gear

Record 48k via Rosetta or 96k direct to 002?

Dear slutz,

I have this choice to make:

Option 1 - Rosetta A/D conversion:
Record at 24/48 via Rosetta 800 into digi 002 via ADAT connection

Option 2 - ProTools A/D conversion:
Record at 24/96 via protools Digi 002 via analog INs

(For the sake of argument, the question supposes that 96k sample rate is superior to 48k, all things being equal.)

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracor View Post
Dear slutz,

I have this choice to make:

Option 1 - Rosetta A/D conversion:
Record at 24/48 via Rosetta 800 into digi 002 via ADAT connection

Option 2 - ProTools A/D conversion:
Record at 24/96 via protools Digi 002 via analog INs

(For the sake of argument, the question supposes that 96k sample rate is superior to 48k, all things being equal.)

Thanks!
Personally I would use the Rosetta. Much better conversion even at 24/48 IMO.
Old 2nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris900 View Post
Personally I would use the Rosetta. Much better conversion even at 24/48 IMO.

I would imagine that will be the general consensus. It's all going to 44.1 anyway, and the rosetta does what it's meant to do better than the digi converters, even at 48k. Logic would say that the end product will be better going that route.
Old 3rd September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by old ghost View Post
rosetta does what it's meant to do better than the digi converters, even at 48k.
Right...Makes sense. Thanks Old Ghost & Chriss900.
Old 3rd June 2012
Here for the gear

Digi 002 with UA Apollo at 96k

Wow.

I'm really glad I found this thread. I recently bought a UA Apollo Quad, mainly bc I wanted better converters than the 002, which I've used to good effect for years. I was pretty excited and optimistic about the Apollo, and I'm sure I'll grow to love the increased fidelity of my recordings, but the thing that took me by surprise was how dependent my workflow had become on the Digidesign interface-only feature known as "Low Latency Monitoring," something that the Apollo, or any non Avid/Digidesign interface for that matter, completely removes from Options in Pro Tools. Annoyingly, every time I raise this issue with the Sales or techs at UA or at Sweetwater (where I purchased the Apollo), they all say the same thing, which is that Apollo has "zero latency," so what's the problem? Well, I KNOW the Apollo has zero latency, but I WANT TO MONITOR IN PRO TOOLS which is what I'm used to!!! I am a self-recordist who does a LOT of multi-tracked vocals (a la Queen), and I'm VERY accustomed to pressing record, singing something rather brief, and listening to it back instantaneously, doubling it, tripling, harmonizing it, doubling that, tripling that, and on and on. The problem with singing/playing/recording through the Apollo is you hear two overlapping signals of yourself: One with zero latency (from the Apollo) and another in Pro Tools which is of course disgustingly late (sounds like a delay pedal) because there in no longer the "Low Latency Monitoring option in Pro Tools when you use a 3rd party interface. The only solution is to press Mute on the track you're recording in Pro Tools, and then unmute it to hear it back, which is insanely annoying when you're used to working quickly. Not to mention the larger problem of not being able to adjust your level or panning or anything as you go in Pro Tools while tracking, because it needs to be muted while you're tracking. The level in Apollo's Console is already at max and so the only way to raise your level is to lower your entire mix in pro tools, which then becomes obsolete the minute you unmute the track in pro tools. Needless to say, all of this was PAINFULLY inefficient in terms of work-flow.

Sorry for the long intro (this is related to the above thread, I swear), but one person at UA told me that I could still get the benefits of my Apollo by simply connecting it to my old Digi 002 via SPDIF, which would allow me to go back to using the 002 as my playback engine, thus restoring the Low Latency Monitoring feature to my Pro Tools work-flow, and allow me to Monitor everything in real-time in Pro Tools (something I refuse to believe is as exotic of a concept as the people at Sweetwater and UA tried to make me think it was).

Well, I did that, but playback is now virtually impossible. Even when running a session with basically no plug-ins and at 1024 buffer size, I get crashes and CPU errors out the wazoo. I also just recently switched from 44.1k to 96k. Could that be my problem? Is the issue SPDIF at 96k? Should I try ADAT? Should I abandon the 96k idea? Should I just deal with a godawful work flow and deal with the inability to monitor in Pro Tools while recording? HELP!!!

Any help/advice would be VERY appreciated. Thanks.

-G
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Head

Honest admission

In a blind test I can't hear the difference between 44.1, 48, and 96. Am I alone?

I record at 48/24 because my system can easily handle it and I understand well the theoretical advantages of 24bit.
Old 5th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ottewill View Post
In a blind test I can't hear the difference between 44.1, 48, and 96. Am I alone?

I record at 48/24 because my system can easily handle it and I understand well the theoretical advantages of 24bit.
I can hear a difference, but I am not willing to admit its huge.....or even small.

I record 44.1, with my converters, because I fear sample rate conversion, and I think my hardware sounds awesome at 44.1.

I STOPPED recording higher sample rates, after I witnessed how they cripple systems, tracks, mixes, and people.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search