The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Oktava MK-101, MK-102, MK-103, MK-104
Old 29th August 2010
Here for the gear

Oktava MK-101, MK-102, MK-103, MK-104

I'm trying to decide if I should buy some of the (from oktava so called) medium and large diaphragm capsules for the mk-012 preamp.
Background is that I already have a bunch of the mk-012 matched pairs (with the cardioid, hypercardioid, "omni") and I need some additional large diaphragm capsules both for support microphones as well as setting up a stereo system. The capsules are:

MK-101 (2004)
Mk-102 (2005)
MK-103 (Oct 2006)
MK-104 (Nov 2006)

Has anybody made some experiences with those? Or knows where to get some recorded sound samples?

Thanks a lot!
Old 29th August 2010
Lives for gear

Have you looked at the frequency response graphs for the different capsules? I have a Oktava brochure from my last Oktava mic purchase. The MK-101 looks interesting. It's got the usual presence bump, but with a dip at 5k. That could have the affect of making a source sound a little less "hard".

On the other hand, I bought a MK-105 based on the response graph in the brochure, but the individual graph that came with my mic shows a big peak at 3k. I've discovered that 3k can sound great on some guitars, (classical guitar in particular) so it's not a total loss, but ever since then, I've been hesitant to trust the quality control of Oktava.

In your case, you really need to assess your needs, and then compare your needs to the different qualities of the capsules. (In lieu of "that mic rocks!' type of comments from the forum, frequency response graphs will be your only hope.) Perhaps you could confirm a return policy before purchase, so that if your mic turns out to be an anomaly like mine, you could exchange it for one that is more in line with what was advertised.

BTW, I have three Oktava mics (modded, with stock capsules,) and I use them all the time.

Another consideration: Michael at Oktavamod is supposedly working on fitting his MJE-K47 capsule head assembly onto the MK-012 body. That capsule should definitely be on the top of your list. If I recall correctly, he was talking about having them ready this Fall.
Old 4 weeks ago
''BUMP''

Surprisingly very little action here.

I have a similar question regarding a new MK-012 capsule.. 101 - 104 or any other suggestions or routes?
Mainly for male vocals..

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmc303 View Post
''BUMP''

Surprisingly very little action here.

I have a similar question regarding a new MK-012 capsule.. 101 - 104 or any other suggestions or routes?
Mainly for male vocals..

Thanks
I have a pair of the 101 capsules. They're nice. Big, clean sound, and as someone surmised above not harsh.

I was doing a shootout with some other mics this morning and was kind of surprised how close they sounded to my TLM193.

(Not sure it matters, but the 012 bodies I'm using I modded with some better components as discussed in other threads.)

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the other capsules, aside from the 012s.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riinehart View Post
I have a pair of the 101 capsules. They're nice. Big, clean sound, and as someone surmised above not harsh.

I was doing a shootout with some other mics this morning and was kind of surprised how close they sounded to my TLM193.

(Not sure it matters, but the 012 bodies I'm using I modded with some better components as discussed in other threads.)

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the other capsules, aside from the 012s.
Cool - thanks for your input.
I like "not harsh"
It's definitely my cheapest option - for I already have the 012's
How is the 101 capsule for male vocal? Warm and open?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Ive tried 101 on a few male vocalists. Its not always the right move, but when it works its got a nice dark vibe. Ive had to boost the high end afterwards.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranzangos View Post
Ive tried 101 on a few male vocalists. Its not always the right move, but when it works its got a nice dark vibe. Ive had to boost the high end afterwards.
Cool - Thanks for the that input.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search