The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lets talk acoustic drums mixing in pro tools!
Old 17th December 2005
Gear Addict

Lets talk acoustic drums mixing in pro tools!

How do you deal with drum mixing in PT.

Do you use soundreplacer, and witch samples?

Do you double tracks for hard compression on one of them?

Do you route the tracks to a bus for drumbus compression, and do you use HW comps for this?
Old 17th December 2005
Gear Addict

I never replace, but only because I have a access to a great sounding room. use mult's if the situation calls for really punchy drums. almost always, the drums go to a group that gets a little compression and hi shelving.

Brandon
Old 17th December 2005
Gear Addict

What compressor do you use?

I use a ssl stereo comp with 3-5 db gain reduction..
Old 17th December 2005
Lives for gear

Comp on snare and kick when tracking IF the drummer is outta wack dynamically in his playing. No comp in particular, not looking for anything but a little control.

For rock I then crush the snare hard with an 1176 type sound (and eq)and blend it in with the natural snare from the OH's. Then I crush the FOK (fade in to taste) - how hard and with what depends on the vibe of the song - I like opto's for this, or a TG1 (my fav) or an 1176. Then I route all the drum tracks to drum bus and compress softly (more for tone and glue)- for this I think the TG1 is great...1176s too. It all really depends. A distressor can mimic this pretty good all on their own and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in the final mix. I prefer to have my comp on the 2 bus while mixing though cause if not, all bets are usually off.

Then tommorrow, it'll all be different heh Re: ITB or OTB - IMO hardware kicks ass in this regard...even to the laymans ears. But if you have taste, you could make ITB work too (UAD stuff is pretty impressive)...just don't a/b it after or you'll be left a bit wanting.

Anyhow, this question can get 1000 answers and they'd all be correct. You have to use your own musical sensebility and when you nail it, you nail it. If you have no taste, your screwed no matter what you do.
Old 17th December 2005
Moderator emeritus

I don't sound replace (nor to I beat detect).
I don't double track.
I don't use gates or 'clean' the tom tracks.
I don't use EQ on toms or overheads.
I use light compression and fairly minimal EQ on the snare.
I use light compression and fairly minimal EQ on the kick.
I use 1-2 dB of cain reduction on the drum buss.
I use about 1-2 dB of EQ on the drum buss.

This is good if you want them to sound like drums.
This is not good if you don't.
Old 17th December 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHA
Do you use soundreplacer, and witch samples?
I personally prefer the witch off Spike Milligans Bad Jelly the Witch "stinky poo stinky poo knickers knickers knickers" for replacing the snare with.

I'm hoping the new narnia film will have some good witch samples.

narco
Old 17th December 2005
Lives for gear

I like to compress a little bit the Kick and the Sn during recording, just if the drummer dynamics ain't that good....

I still use sound replace, but most of the time when I want add a diferent sound on a bridge or maybe just play around with the sound (you get my point) or when a band brings a project from another studio and got recorded by an intern after hours and was his first time recoding drums and didn't know that the metronome was being recorded in the Sn track....(it happend once...). I like to use my own samples, everytime that we have a drum session and I like the sound of the drums that day I'll sample it.

I like to group the drums and send them to buss compression to get a nic punchier drums..
Old 17th December 2005
TML
Lives for gear

I do whatever it takes to create the sound the band has in their head....I'll copy kik and snare to seperate tracks and mess with them together....I'll replace anything ...anywhere I need too. I usually have the drummer give me samples of each tom/ cym/kik..etc......mix those in...especially on drummers who don't used their wrists and crack the drums right....Also for all the guys who nail the cymbals and wimp out on the toms....I don't care about getting organic if the project doesn't call for it...most everything on the radio is over the top and hyped....pop....one thing...I rarely compress to tape...butcher it afterwards......
tim
Old 17th December 2005
Lives for gear

nowadays alot of metal drummers want their kit to sound like lamb of god or kreator so its drumagog time.

after replacing the entire kit than blend the original sounds in w/the replaced sounds than a bit of verb and im good.
Old 29th August 2006
Here for the gear

I do whatever it takes to get the drumsound that the band has in it's head(s)
I use nice compressors (Altec, Smart, Audix, Tweed, LA2A) with both pro tools and analog but often, the plugs work just as well, if not better, and after years of arsing about with track and outboard recall sheets, I love the total recall aspect of coming back to the same balance every single time, it leaves more time to be creative for everybody, and no rewind time!
I fairly recently tracked and mixed a no.1 record with an acoustic band completely in pro tools in a remote location with virtually no outboard at all, and the drums sounded great on that. Everyone thought I had used analog.
I may use natural drum sounds (which can sound great), or I may use Sound replacer (which can be made to sound natural, and great), I have access to loads of different gear and studios, and I don't think it matters what you use, as long as the speakers in your room are telling you the truth, and you're working with a great artist.
Old 29th August 2006
Lives for gear

which band did you track..........this sounds pretty interesting........
heh heh heh

.............and what plugs did you use?

greetings

Alex
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Guru

coming from a live recording perspective ....

i only use sound replacer if something is real nasty or missing altogether ...

re-record bottom snare using top snare sound to trigger ... can be cool and if you really wnat it to be clean (no bleed from the stage) you can make a new tracxk copy the snare and soundreplace that so your trigger sound is clean of bleed .. helped a live recording that just did not have the snare punch but was enough there to use replacer / re-recorded bottom snare for a very nice sound ..

you can do this in the studio emvironment also .. much more control ..

using pro tools i like to re-record drums through outboard analog gear and either replace entirely or bring the new stuff up along side or underneath .. being very aware of phase issues ...

hope this helps ...

john
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Nut

i love mixing drums...being im a drummer, it always seems to be the loudest and the instrument i always spend the most time on.

i usually set up 3 or 4 stereo aux tracks for drums.
1. reverb
2. compression
3. tape saturation
4. OH compression

if i'm still not getting a punch sound from the drums, i bounce to 2 trk mix, which is then slammed with compression, more reverb, and a little bit of EQ to boost the highs.

I almost never use sound replacer unless i'm doing the occasional sub drops for the bands that want that deep tom sound in some parts.
Old 29th August 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
I personally prefer the witch off Spike Milligans Bad Jelly the Witch "stinky poo stinky poo knickers knickers knickers" for replacing the snare with.

I'm hoping the new narnia film will have some good witch samples.

narco
yeah use this all the time

or sometimes "just get inside this nice SACK and you'll be nice and warm"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search