The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recreating that vintage Vocal sound...
Old 4th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
The vocal tone, style, and phrasing: ask yourself how many 30's female singers sounded like the Andrews Sisters, 40's crooners like Bing, 50's like Frank or Elvis, 60's like too many to mention, 70's like Karen Carpenter, 80's hair metal guys, 90's yarling grungers...

Vocal ambience: study what kind of reverbs (and/or delays for more modern stuff) were prevalent.

Melody & harmony: every era has a distinct melodic flavor to it, this aspect is crucial.

Honestly, if you just write a song that is faithful to an era, your vocal will almost by definition evoke that era, and the music will vibe like it too. If you record and produce with techniques of the time as well, you're a dead ringer.

Check out Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings for a stellar example of what I'm talking about.

Gregory Scott - ubk
The Daptones completely changed ^ his life heh .....You want the sound go get yer self some ribbons cheap ribbons mics, some cheap tube preamps and go to your local high school auditorium with a bunch of blankets and ****.. start experimenting. New gear is sooo cheap and sooo good !!
Old 4th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Gotye

Not exactly what you are looking for but I think this sounds a little vintage to me, with a sm58 beta, whilst playing drums!!!

Its his voice, its amazing and the arrangment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOevbchxOc

Pretty sure the album version was recorded with a AT4050
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho71v...eature=related
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camron123 View Post
Not exactly what you are looking for but I think this sounds a little vintage to me, with a sm58 beta, whilst playing drums!!!

The Beta 58, love that thing. Those and 57s' exclusively make a nice warm sounding record. It's funny when people discard the beta58 for it's common man reputation. As if a Fender Stratocaster is no longer a desireable sound/instrument cause it's sold a GC. stike

But really, the beta 58 to me has always souned nice on everything i've mic'd with it. It probably lets in more high end on bass cabs and other things than neccesary, but not really too much......that's where alot of the air push from amps resides anyway..... If your in to that type of thing.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear
Are you talking like the Doors, The animals, The Kinks and that period? Maybe like the way the Strokes have that new but old sound? I've had some luck using speaker phone to get some cool 1930's sounds through the megaphones and even some stuff from the 60's and 70's. It's worth a try, but if I was going to do it with my chain as authentic as possible probably use my API 512c,hunt down a microphone from that time that was used and put a tape effect on it. Just a few ideas I do like what speaker phone can do to vocals though, it's pretty cool.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Some things to try for "vintage" or "lo-fi" vocals:

Reslo RBH

Spectra Sonics 610

Pultec MEQ-5
Old 16th September 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Seeing that the "vocal sounds of the past" are a chain, a process, and a time period -- I would recommend you forget all this bull****, watch this video and understand there is only one microphone that will get you to the promised land.

Best Mic EVER!!!

Peace.
lol "deez b2 proz"
Old 17th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post

The Beta 58, love that thing. Those and 57s' exclusively make a nice warm sounding record. It's funny when people discard the beta58 for it's common man reputation. As if a Fender Stratocaster is no longer a desireable sound/instrument cause it's sold a GC. stike

But really, the beta 58 to me has always souned nice on everything i've mic'd with it. It probably lets in more high end on bass cabs and other things than neccesary, but not really too much......that's where alot of the air push from amps resides anyway..... If your in to that type of thing.
Hi Steely! We'll have to agree to disagree on the Beta 58 - I hate the friggin' things. And for achieving the type of vintage sound the OP is after it's totally inappropriate. Studio recordings of those acts were all high quality condensers or occasionally ribbons.
Old 17th September 2010
Live, I happen to know for a fact that The Commodores used Beyers, primarily M-69N(C)s in 1977-79, because I was working for their sound company which, at the time, was Bill Graham's FM Productions. The M-69 is the little brother of the M-88.
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Hi Steely! We'll have to agree to disagree on the Beta 58 - I hate the friggin' things. And for achieving the type of vintage sound the OP is after it's totally inappropriate. Studio recordings of those acts were all high quality condensers or occasionally ribbons.

Well hello there Mr. Eppstein! Been a while.

Oh, I agree, I don't think any of the studios back then were reaching for a 58 (if they even had one heh) with vocals in mind with everything else available to them. The room and singer to my mind is the real sound.
(along with what is now considered vintage/classic gear and recording skills).

But I think for a home recordist who doesn't want/or can't drop serious $$ on a badass mic, with certain enginnering skills and a feel for your work space you can get a vintage sound with a simple dynamic and a vibey tube pre.

A friend of mine does sound for a production company and has access to some really nice mics, some vintage classics. We are tracking his record right now, and tried a few big $$ mics on him. We ended up using the Beta 58 through a LA-610 with some rich gain dialed in, and a more than fair amount of compression. Sounded like Serge Gainsbourg or a 60's crooner.
We were so excited to hear the results (and how we got them), but had to actually change the sound because it didn't match the acoustic guitar very well, but ohh did it sound so lovely alone.

But with the room, pre, and the silly 58, if we could've had some ribbon mics for drums I think we could have made a record that sounded like Frank Sinatra with that setup.
Old 27th September 2010
Gear Addict

Great Thread, Thanks!

rjacobsen
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap View Post
Try a Flagg Mic. Gives that narrow-band, olde tyme feel:

http://www.flaggaudio.com/Flaggmicne...398%282%29.jpg

Wow, nine posts plugging those mics in one hour. For future reference, the key to shilling is subtlety.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

2 of the greatest songs ever written, with entirely natural, genuine vocal skill & artistry. The secret to the sound isn't sonic tweaking or gear, but 1000's of hours of practice over many years along with tons of respect for and total immersion in the old-school concepts : melody, harmony, songwriting, arrangement and vocal & instrumental skill. The vocals here are the real deal, and are so entirely honest. No fronting, posing, acting or faking. It's a very direct and unobstructed presentation of his character and vocal nuances.

The Commodores - Easy -1977 - YouTube

Sail on - Lionel Richie & The Commodores with lyrics - YouTube

Skill leads to confidence.... and when both are established, they have enough momentum on their own to create an 'instant win studio scenario'.
Old 12th March 2012
[QUOTE=steelyfan;5794607]
Quote:

57's I agree, but I wouldn't call a Beta 58 warm ... strident and harsh maybe. I much prefer the 58 ... or better still, the SM7B. The Betas are good for 'cutting through' on a noisy stage ... more about open warfare than vintage music making.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search