Tascam Teac M15 Desk - Summing?
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

Tascam Teac M15 Desk - Summing?

Hi there.
My Name is Gerd and I´m from Germany and I´m a new member
at gearslutz.com.
I just bought a Teac M15 Mixing Desk and I´m wondering
if somebody could give me some hints or tips to use it.

My aim is to use this desk for mixdowns...
so... there are eight busses, but how do I sum them into stereo?
There is no stereo master on the desk, or is there?

Hope to get some answers.
Greetings from Germany, Gerd
Old 21st August 2010
Gear Addict

Guten tag.

Assign the busses to the main mix L/R. This wouldn't be much of a console if you couldn't get a stereo signal out of the board.

I'm not sure how TEAC labeled the master fader(s). Could be main mix, stereo buss, stereo out, stereo master, etc...

Willkommen.
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGear? View Post
Guten tag.

Assign the busses to the main mix L/R. This wouldn't be much of a console if you couldn't get a stereo signal out of the board.

I'm not sure how TEAC labeled the master fader(s). Could be main mix, stereo buss, stereo out, stereo master, etc...

Willkommen.
Thanks for your answer.
Thats the point... I don´t know if there is any way to assign the busses to anything...
I don´t know if you know the M15 desk... it was built in 1978 ...
even there are no master faders...
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Perhaps take some photos of the channels and busses, I couldn't find a manual with a quick google search. Should be able to work it out from some pics though.
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

hi .. .
thanks for your help!
i attached a manual pdf to this posting.
hope this will help.
thanks a lot!
gerd

i also found a website .. there are a lot of pics of the desk
http://www.teac15blaggersguide.co.cc/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M-15_manual.pdf (1.82 MB, 1229 views)
Old 21st August 2010
Gear Addict

It looks as though you could use any Aux or Line Out from Mix A or Mix B for a stereo mix.

I don't like that architecture at all. It might have a great vintage sound, but it's very confusing compared to newer consoles.
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

thanks for your hint!
Yes thats right...
it´s very confusing...
but that´s why i hope that somebody could help me with it...
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

Isn´t there anybody who knows the desk?
Old 21st August 2010
Gear Maniac

I have a 15....modified it quite a bit. One of the mods involved making the 'monitor A' and 'monitor B' stereo pairs into a pair of stereo master outputs I designated stereo A and stereo B. These were fed from the eight submasters via the ranks of 'monitor A' and 'monitor B' controls above each submaster fader. Much modding of these sections helped with greatly reducing the noise introduced in this section of the mixer (by an average of 9 dB per channel per submaster).

I have some pix somewhere, and schematic pix (with mods drawn in)....will post here if there's interest.
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

Hey Ampex 345!
Thank you. I would be great if you could post any pics of your mods.
But could you please tell me also how the mix to stereo should be
regularly done with the m15? i don´t have a clue...
Old 21st August 2010
Gear Maniac

When I mixed I routed things to as many subs as I needed (one for mono, two or more for stereo)....each sub could be panned in the stereo 'picture' as required.

(PS--I'm working on getting the schematic pix sorted, and will post them here in the next few hours. There will be 19 images to download all in, and you'll see the mods I drew onto each schematic page.)

Last edited by Ampex 354; 24th August 2010 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: I'd said 21 images, but there's just 19.
Old 21st August 2010
Here for the gear

Hey Man!
That would be great!
Thanks!
Gerd
Old 24th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Schematic pages....in the interest of maintaining fast loading of this page, here are links to the images:

Input module (M 301) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1744.jpg

Input module (M 301) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1743.jpg

Buss master (M 302) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1745.jpg

Buss master (M 302) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1746.jpg

Aux A module (M 303 A) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1748.jpg

Aux A module (M 303 A) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1747.jpg

Aux B module (M 303 B) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1749.jpg

Aux B module (M 303 B) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1750.jpg

Talkback module (M 304) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1752.jpg

Talkback module (M 304) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1751.jpg

Control room monitor module (M 305 A) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1753.jpg

Control room monitor module (M 305 A) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1754.jpg

Studio monitor module (M 305 B) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1756.jpg

Studio monitor module (M 305 B) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1755.jpg

Power supply module (M 306) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1757.jpg

Meter bridge (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1758.jpg

Meter bridge (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1759.jpg

Power supply unit (PS 15) (a) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1761.jpg

Power supply unit (PS 15) (b) http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/DSCI1760.jpg

NOTE: On PS 15 (a), not shown, capacitors C2 and C9 (each a pair of 2200 µf/35 volt capacitors) I've changed to 7800 µf/80 VDC computer-grade.
Old 9th November 2010
Here for the gear

M15 Stereo Mix

Hello Gerd!

Was perusing the web regarding the Tascam M15 and ran across this thread. Did you ever get your question answered to your satisfaction?

I’ve been working on the same console here for 20 years or so. Bussing a stereo mix easier than one might think. Let me know, I'd be glad to help.

(I’ll be putting my M15 up for sale soon. Fully loaded 24x8)

Steve M.
Old 26th February 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Steve ,
Ive been Using the Tascam M15b for a few years now and use it mostly for the preamps in a hybrid set-up with protools . Ive been trying to use this board for mixdown but cannot find a way to use it properly . Quite frankly , i am confused when i want to get a proper stereo image . Ive read the manuel so many times and i would greatly aprreciate some help .

Gerd , if you have figured it out , please let me know .

Thank you in advance

Pierre
Old 26th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreguy88 View Post
Hi Steve ,
Ive been Using the Tascam M15b for a few years now and use it mostly for the preamps in a hybrid set-up with protools . Ive been trying to use this board for mixdown but cannot find a way to use it properly . Quite frankly , i am confused when i want to get a proper stereo image . Ive read the manuel so many times and i would greatly aprreciate some help .

Gerd , if you have figured it out , please let me know .

Thank you in advance

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Not sure how much I can help, but I'll give it a shot.

When I was using the M15 for mix downs, I'd assign whatever input modules I was using to BUSS 7+8. Make sure the brown push button is selected for BUSS 5-8, other wise you‘ll be sending signals to 3+4. Now BUSS 7+8 becomes your “master” stereo output buss. The stereo signal is output at the LINE OUT 7+8 at the back of the mixer. Or, you could bypass the summing amps for 7+8 and use the acc send outputs for BUSS 7+8, a cleaner signal.

Most of the time I would just monitor my mixes directly from the outputs of a CD burner, etc. If you're monitoring thru the mixer the short throw faders in the monitor section need to be up to "0". The "bat handles" for MON A SELECT in the monitor section need to be set to BUSS and the MON A PANS are hard L+R.

“Getting a proper stereo image” can be interpreted 2 ways. For now I’ll limit this reply to getting stereo panning to work on the M15. If your input modules are assigned correctly to BOTH 7+8, the pan pots on the M15 will provide the panning. Full left sends the signal to buss 7 (LEFT) and full right sends the signal to buss 8 (Right). The pan pot set straight up will send a mono signal to both L+R equally.

Now…if any of your input modules on the M15 have a stereo signal coming in, say a stereo piano, you’re probably using 2 inputs. Using inputs 1+2 as an example, assign input 1 to BUSS 7 only, and input 2 to BUSS 8 only. This will maintain the stereo image, hard L and hard R.

If for some reason to want to pan a stereo sound a little to one side or the other, assign both BUSS 7+8 on both inputs. Then you can (for instance) pan channel 1 hard L, and channel 2 straight up. This “should” favor the stereo image to the left.

Much of this depends on how you have you gear patched into the M15. If using line in, make sure all the “bat handles” at the top of each input strip is set to the “line” position.

There may have been something I missed, but if this doesn't help we'll try again! The M15 is/was an awesome mixer for it's time. Very versatile, maybe too much so. Quite frankly, I'd rarely use the monitor section to monitor off tape. I'd always try to get HP mixes to sound close to a final mix, even with FX. Problem was that when it came time to record to tracks 7+8 on the tape deck, I'd have to switch all my HP mixes to 3+4.

Hope I was able to shed some light.

Steve
Old 2nd March 2011
Here for the gear

Steve !!!
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with this rather obscur console . I followed your instructions and BAM , i got everything down in a stereo image. What a relief !!!
The manuel that comes with the console has a quite extensif descriptions of its components but not much about hands on advice . I guess at the time the ''home studio '' term did not exist and the manual and console would be owned by experienced engineers . Things have changed ...
i also own ( well was given ) the M-50 Tascam console , wich is much easier to use but is much less powerful .

Now , i will try and properly add some effects to my mixes . For the moment , i am just using the acc send-rcv from individuals strips or in the Buss section . The AUX's on this console are very tricky ...

Anyhow , if i get stuck again , i know who to ask ! Thank you for shedding all this light for me Steve .

Cheers from Montreal ,

Pierre
Old 4th January 2012
Here for the gear
Hello all, I have owned a Tascam M15 for 20 years and people still love the drum sounds we achieve through it. I am refurbishing it at present and to reply to the forum we used to mix to Tascam DA88 recorders.
The method was to assign all desk channels to 1 and 2, then use channel master outs 1 and 2 to send to the tape out jacks to a Dat machine.
Now I mix everything in Cubase and use the desk as a tracking and monitoring device.
By the way does anyone know where I can purchase replacement potentiometers for this desk? Russ.
Old 4th January 2012
Those are easy to work on and great for experiments.

Load some Jensen JT-13KC input transformers in there. Then, replace the green mylar "chicklets" EQ caps with Wima FKP-2/MKP-2 polyprops. Put in machine 8 pin sockets and drop in some LME49720NA's. Add some .1 uf psu bypass caps from pin's 4 and 8 to ground. Also add small 22 pf feedback caps across the opamp's feedback resistors if not fitted.

Check the opamps fro DC offsets. More likely you will have none. Then you can bypass the electrolytic coupling caps.

The difference is like after you land in a jet and your ears pop.
Old 27th January 2012
Here for the gear

hey huys, i have about a dozen M15 input modules that a friend of mine gave me. does anybody here have any interest in them. i'd like to find a good home for them

shoot me a DM if interested!
Old 28th December 2014
Here for the gear

tascam

for Jim Williams possible this change the input transformer tell me more but a have this on week one table teac15

great merci
Old 8th June 2016
Here for the gear

The only ****er who knows this desk is Bob Lamb; he now lives in Cambodia.
Old 23rd October 2018
Here for the gear
Teac M15 Mixing Console

There seems to be a lot of questions regarding the Teac M15 mixing console. I had one from 1982 till 2006 and I used it in a professional recording studio working with bands and artist. I did a lot of work making the set-up become a great recording and mixing set-up that would eventually make my studio the "Go To Studio" for mixing and mastering. I purchased the mixing board and a Teac 85-16 1" 16 track tape recorder with DBX noise reduction used. Both units were work horses, the only problems I had was the DBX card's relays on the tape machine would occasionally stick but I bought extra and all was good. The board weighs about 500 to 600 lbs but it is a modular board, which means, when you remove the meter bridge, you can actually remove each strip and be able to do maintenance cleaning and pot cleaning and lubrication (please contact an electronic tech for the difference liquid solutions to use for cleaning). The board is a solid state board, there are no tube I'm aware of in this board.

History
The Teac M15 mixing ($22K)and the Teac 85-16 (16 Track) ($20k) and Teac 80-8 (8 track) were release in 1978 and were a cheaper solution for recording than the Studer, Soundcraft, MCI and Otari tape machines and a cheaper solution for the SSL, Soundcraft, Harrison and Neve consoles of the day. The M15 and 85-16 were consider Consumer-Pro equipment because the both machines used a lot of RCA connection, no 1/4 jacks and only XLR and RCA on the input channels. Also both board and machine ran unbalanced not balanced wiring which potentially could create noise on the channels.

The Mixing Board Hierarchy
The Teac M15 Mixing Console is divided into 4 areas: Input, Buss, Monitoring and Control Room/Aux/Studio Room. You have to think in terms of a Matrix to really understand how console works. As well, each area has its share of quirkiness that is sometimes hard to understand. I am going to walk through each area of the Teac M15 and explain how everything works and the different modification I did to bring the mixing board and my studio up to professional standards. The biggest thing I did was integrate an all encompassed patch bay system which made the functionality of the board incredible and made the recording process at least 5 times better and faster. The manual is an example of a manual written by electronic engineers for electronic engineers and I found it highly technical and difficult to understand. Most of the things I learned about the M15 was by trial and error - hard lessons sometimes.

Inputs
The Teac M15 would be shipped with either 16 or 24 Input channels. Each channel would have the usual stuff, Line in - Mic in - Gain - EQ - Aux 1 & 2 Buss assign, mute, solo, pan and fader. Here the quirkiness of the input section: Line input is an RCA jack not a 1/4 Jack, microphone XLR input did not have phantom power, the insert for the channel is a little jumper wire/cable not a TRS input and mine was missing 5 of the jumper cables and the channel wouldn't work without the jumper cables also the buss has 1-2 3-4 5-6 7-8 but no master mix out.

Solutions - Input Section
Channel Inserts - each input strip has a Send - Rec which has a little jumper to keep the signal from the RCA input or the XLR mike input to continue through to the input strip. I figured out that if I got a Tascam's PB-32P and 4 Hosa Cable 3 meter length CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4) I could insert compresses and gates into every channel if I wanted to. The Tascam's PB-32P (with the white jacks out) would work as a normal unit letting the signal flow and once I tapped into the unit I can have a compressor in channel 6 out and the output of the compress back into the in of channel 6 of the patch bay and back to the board.

RCA Jacks Solution - to solve the problem of RCA instrumet jacks I bought Tascam's PB-32P patch bay strips 1/4 to 1/4 and 2 Hosa Cable 3 meter CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4) and hooked the Snake to the patch bay solved a lot of problems. For the RCA jacks I took the Tascam PB-32P and I took the unit apart and change the direction of the units so that the Red jacks are facing out which means that the unit was stand alone channels. This makes it easier to hook up keyboards and acoustic guitars because they all use standard 1/4 jacks on the patch bay strip.

Channel Direct Out (D-Out) - RCA Jacks - to solve the problem of RCA jacks I used the above (RCA Jacks Solution) Tascam's PB-32P patch bay strips 1/4 to 1/4 and 2 Hosa Cable 3 meter length CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4) and build a patch bay to solve this problems. Using the bottom row of the patch bay for the Input Jack issue, I connected the 2 Hosa Cable 3 meter length CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4) to the bottom row. More on the Channel Direct out when we get to Buss and Tracking.

XLR & Mike input- The Teac M15 does not have phantom Power for condenser microphones. The Teac M15 Power Unit had an XLR 2 pin plug but I have never ever seen a solution using that plug. I bought 2 8 channel phantom power unit and I would plug in the microphones into them so I could use condenser microphones.

No Master Mix Output - to actually get the input channel to play through speakers you have to do the following: on the input channels select buss 1 - 2 (or 3-4, or 5-6 or 7-8) for all input channels turn up the fader buss 1 - 2 next go to Monitor A 1 (Pan Left) & 2 (Pan Right) and take the toggle switch and toggle it to buss on both channels and turn up the fader. Assuming you have an amplifier on control room RCA plugs, selected Monitor A on the control room strip and you should be able to hear what your input section is playing in the speakers. One of the Boards most serious quirk.

Buss - Only 8 Busses (Line Out 1 to 8)
The Teac M15 is designed to work with a 16 track tape recorder or a 16 track ADAT machine, but to only be able to record 8 tracks at a time can be very frustrating.

Solution for only 8 busses (Line Out 1 to 8).
I bought Tascam's PB-32P and 3 Hosa Cable 3 meter length CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4) as well as eight "Y" 1 1/4 female to split to 2 1/4 male and similar to the insert set up the Buss output for each buss goes to a Splitter and the splitter would be inserted to the top of the patch bay in the back as follows - channel 1 & 9, 2 & 10, 3 & 11, 4 & 12, 5 & 13, 6 & 14, 7 & 15, 8 & 16. the back bottom row in the back would go to the tape machine 1 to 16 (make sure that the tape or Adat machine connects match your HOSA cable connectors - CPP-803 are 1/4 to 1/4 or CPR-803 are 1/4 to RCA). So you are able to record on any buss and on any channel. But if you have more than 8 tracks here is what you do. So lets say that you have 7 tracks for drums, 1 track for bass track and 2 guitars and a vocal to record. So the drums and the bass can go thru the buss 1 to 8. To record the guitars and the vocals you can take the "Channel Direct Out" (D-Out from above) from the input of the Vocals and the Guitars channels and insert those track into the bottom row of the buss patch bay in channels 9, 10 and 11 to go to the tape machine Track 9, 10 and 11. Problem solved!

Monitoring Section
The monitoring section is Monitor A channels 1 to 8 and Monitor B which is channels 9 to 16. When recording all the channels toggle switches should be set to Tape so that you can hear what's on tape, be able to do punch in while listen to the tracks and make rough monitor mixes.

Monitoring Section Solution
I bought Tascam's PB-32P and 2 Hosa Cable 3 meter CPP-803 Snakes (1/4 to 1/4) and 2 Hosa Cable 3 meter CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4). Plug the 1 to 16 from the tape machine into the back of the top row of the patch bay. The bottom row goes to the Teac M15 tape return channel 1 to 16 (Tape A - 1 to 8 and Tape B - 9 to 16). The beautiful thing is that the patch bay can now host external tape machines or computers with analog outputs through to the Teac M15 from the bottom row of the patch bay. If someone comes with a Fostex B16 you can plug it in and mix tracks you can also track parts if you plug tape machines input to the buss output. It can open up opportunities to work with other studios.

Adding Effects Units
I purchased several external effects units which included: 1 - SPX1000, 4 - SPX900, 3 - Alesis 3630 Compresser, 3 - Alesis EQ's, 1 Rev 7
I purchased 4 Tascam's PB-32P and 7 Hosa Cable 3 meter CPP-803 Snakes (1/4 to 1/4). I turned all the patch bays and opened them up to reverse the inputs so that the Red plugs were showing in the front. The top row was labeled Input with the effect's name and the Output was in the bottom row. The 4th Patch Bay was to create the Aux 1, 2, 3 and 4 outputs to feed the effects units. You can also use the input channel direct outs as well for individual track effects in mix down mode.

Adding Effects Units and having the outputs in the Monitoring section
I bought Tascam's PB-32P and 2 Hosa Cable 3 meter CPR-803 Snakes (RCA to 1/4) and connect the RCA jacks to Mon A FLB 1 to 8 and Mon 8 FLB 1 to 8 so that I can use the Monitor section as the return for my effects - monitor 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-16. I took the Tascam PB-32P and I took the unit apart and change the direction of the units so that the Red jacks are facing out which means that the unit was stand alone channels.

Mixdown Deck - 1/4 tape machine or DAT or Computer
I used the Studio Master Fader as the Master Out to my mix machine. Unfortunate you use the Studio Rotate Nob to create the fade.

Mix Downs
To take all the monitor track and move them to the input section. Take Monitor 1 and 2 and switch it to buss and pan 1 Left and 2 Right and set level to "0" db. Next monitors 3 to 16 and switch the toggle switch not to buss or tape but to the toggle switch in the middle (little square). In the input section switch the toggle switch from line, mike to the little square for every channel. By switch the input, all the tracks on your tape machine are now live in the input section. Next select buss 1 & 2 for every channel. Next turn up the fader for buss 1 & 2 to "0". You can now start mixing. Make sure that Mon 1 and Mon 2 on the Control Fader (rotate button) and the Studio (rotate button) are pressed so you can listen and record. You can also use the Monitor 3 to 16 as returns for your effects by pressing the Mon A and Mon B button on the Buss channels. Unfortunate you use the Studio Rotate Nob to create the fade. (The Teac M15B had side faders on those channels Studio & Control Room).

Conclusion
There is a lot of information in this article and I hope it help the people who presently own or want to buy Teac M15. If I am missing anything or something isn't work the way that I explained it or you have further questions please feel free to email me. My memory is good, but the last time I used that board was in 2006. The key to making the M15 work properly, for me, was the integration of a serious patch bay. You could do most of what the patch bay work from behind the board but you'd be spending a lot of time behind the board connecting and reconnecting wires. My recording sessions were usually high profile artists that demanded efficiency and the attitude that "time is money so stop wasting mine". The board is a serious console from the late 1970's early 1980's that can have a place in the digital environment Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic world and the analog feel of the Teac M15 to digital recordings could have some engineers and producers add a little warmth and depth to their final mixes. Once I got comfortable using the board I love it, it help rescue may recording from being dumped and my work as a producer, recording engineer really stood out.

The Teac M15 is a serious professional board capable of producing high quality radio ready recording that will rival any digital system. Here are the final mixes from a band I produced called Cameras In Paris. All the recordings were done on the Teac 85-16 with the Teac M15 mixing console in the early 1990's and mix to analog 1/4 tape on a Tascam 32-2 reel to reel. The 1/4 tape was then converted to DAT tape and two years ago, 2016, I digitized the DAT tape to Pro Tools and created WAV and MP3 version of each song - enjoy :

Cameras In Paris | ReverbNation

Good Luck MrGuitarPlayer
Old 28th February 2019
Here for the gear

Hello! I have very important question. I have this console for a year but my EQ doesn't work on any channel, I tried everything (i guess) but nothing. Could it be broken? Am I missing something? Gain, pan, master works well. Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search