The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This is sort of a tangent, but I need guitar advise Studio Monitors
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Maniac

This is sort of a tangent, but I need guitar advise

So, I am working on a project with just a drummer and myself. This is a question for live performance, but also studio as well. Basically I want to know if there is a good way/solution to get a good low sound that would sort of dip into the dynamics a bass would provide but also keep the dynamics of the guitar.

If that makes sense at all? I guess I am trying to achieve a very full sound, but just with a guitar and drums.

What I am working with is an American Strat, Sunn t50c, some fuzz, maybe a tube screamer? We are playing pop stuff (more bluesy). And I know the Black Keys/White Stripes have done this well, but I just want to hear if there are any other/easy,unique solutions

Ive looked into a baritone guitar, but I'm not sure If I would like playing that.

I am open to all idea/experience from you all.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear
If you don't want to try a baritone, then maybe pick up an ElectroHarmonix POG pedal and use it as an octaver (blend the lower octave so that it doesn't overpower the dry signal); you will probably want to use a speaker with extended low-end range, too.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

My first thoughts are either:
  • Play a seven or eight string guitar (a la Charlie Hunter)
  • Play with an octaver/octavia pedal
  • Tune down a full step
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

Using speakers that will serve the lower frequencies is a good idea. 12" speakers sound good to me. Also (I hate to even bring it up, it is so simple), most guitarists cut their bass frequencies at the amp. Maybe you can see how it sounds without doing that. With a full band, not cutting the lows on the guitar can lead to the guitar tripping over the bass and kick, but you have a different situation.

Have you tried detuning down to D? How about a 7 string? A baritone might be more than you want, but these might do the trick.
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Maniac

This is sort of a tangent, but I need guitar advise

Well with the music we are playing I am tuning down to open G . I might just suck it up and try a baritone. It might be cool to throw some fuzz on that .
Old 16th August 2010
Split pickup guitar? (So you could use a cleaner tone for bass notes.) And/or 8 string?
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaugh87 View Post
Well with the music we are playing I am tuning down to open G . I might just suck it up and try a baritone. It might be cool to throw some fuzz on that .
Baritone's are cool - you do have to get used to them, though - you have to work a little harder to play play them (but anyone who has experience playing bass should find it easier to adjust to them).

If you don't want to mess with extended range speakers, you could also try bi-amping - use a splitter to send you signal to both a bass amp (with the high end rolled off) and a guitar amp (with the extreme low end rolled off).
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Maniac

I played bass in a band for about 4 years, which is why it is hard for me to play with other bass players. I prefer to play guitar however.

I think once I scrounge up the cash Ill buy a baritone.
Old 16th August 2010
Lives for gear

If you are flustered maybe try a new approach.Does you music need bass?.If you were a virtuoso (I have no idea if you are or not) you can play both at the same time......

IMO the other way(low tuned gtr) is just filling up bass frequency and farting on everything above it.I love bass but it's amazing how little bass frequency is on some of my fave recordings (old).By the constraints of recording direct to disc and vinyl the bass couldn't be prominent .When the P-bass came around even then flat wound strings made them thuddy kind of like a stand up...some surf music bass is .....gtr!!

I probably don't have much company but i dig that bass sound.Maccas Hofner was a beautiful instrument1!!It didn't get in the way.

I see no reason to try to sound fuller with sonics to FILL up the sound.Its more about how the music is played and composed.Drums and gtr are full all by themselves in a good composition with good players.I say trying playing and composing strongly with one instrument instead of tring to play two instruments poorly.

BP
Old 16th August 2010
Gear Nut

Creating Bass sound in your Guitar set up,

I would recommend using a lower end guitar like a baritone guitar also Schecter's or any guitar with EMG's pick ups can help give that guitar more of a chunk sound.

Just adjusting your guitar Amp to less high end and more mid's and lows can give you a beefier punch to it. Also having a separate EQ peddle can give it some depth to your sound.

If you have thicker strings this works efficiently, but be careful with how thick because depending on the guitar you may pull your bridge to hard and bend it, pretty much like your pushing down on the whammy bar 24/7.

Using more than one amp with big cabs can help, the smaller the cab the worst for getting depth and low end. If possible you can use other effects there should be some effects out there where it will create another track to substitute for a low end bass sound.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search