The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for that early 90's Programmed R&B drum sound... Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

Looking for that early 90's Programmed R&B drum sound...

Hey I'm looking to do some tracks with programmed drums that sound like some early 90's/late 80's R&B programmed drums....

Here are some specific examples that i love the drums on:

YouTube - ‪Re: babyface-I love you babe‬‎

YouTube - ‪Tevin Campbell - Can We Talk?‬‎

Anyone have any tips in getting drum sounds like these? I know a lot of the drum sounds from then come from drum machines but my ear can't place the drum sounds above to any drum machine... Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

Goldbaby!

Products
Old 10th August 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the response! I'm familiar with Goldbaby. I guess i'm looking to start making my own drum sounds that sound like the 90's and i'm wondering how to do it...any gear suggestions or thoughts/tips? For instance that famous gated snare reverb sound. What were the most popular hardware verbs back then that were used for that gated verb sound? I have the lexicon software verb and i use the vintage plate but im not super satisfied with the results. Reverb obviously is just the tip of the iceberg....mainly am looking for how Babyface made those sounds...i don't think they were from drum machines (in those particular videos)...
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

I have some of those samples he did for Tevin and that era from when I used to work up at Yab Yum. I think he pitched claps and snares, compressed the sh*t out of them then re-sampled them to create new sounds.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Gear i PMed you....i'd love to trade sounds for those!! I'd really appreciate it. That's exactly what i'm looking for.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Lots of Forat stuff in the Babyface tracks
Modded Linn 9000 and F16
Mix in LA Reid and Jon Gass
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

If you can get your hands on a Roland JD-990, or some of it's sibling (but the 990 sounds really crisp) you will find quite useful stuff for this kind of sound too. Scroll down for audio demos: JD-990

Another alternative along the same line is to get a XV-2020 (or the like) and get the SRX-01 Drums expansion card. Scroll down for audio: SRX-01
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

SK and Paul thanks for the response!! SK: I actually have a jd990 lol. Yeah the drums on it are great. I feel like they still aren't quite as good as those babyface sounds though, but I do use them a lot though. Any other thoughts?

Paul those both look really cool. Any other gear tips? Maybe in how they did the gated reverb sound? etc?
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

That babyface "I Love You" that i posted at the top is a perfect example of the snare sound im looking for. Any clues on how they got that reverb? Sounds like a short plated gate...but any thoughts beyond that? How to better achieve that sound? etc. As you can probably tell I'm a huge babyface fan. lol
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeez View Post
SK: I actually have a jd990 lol. Yeah the drums on it are great. I feel like they still aren't quite as good as those babyface sounds though, but I do use them a lot though. Any other thoughts?
Oh, you've got one already? lol
How about Spectrasonics drum products, Stylus Vinyl and Stylus RMX. Most material in there is warm, processed, plenty of stuff cut out of recordings, with an analog warmth yet still with a snappy hitech sound.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Do any of those stylus products have early 90's/late 80's sounding drums on them?
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do any of those stylus products have early 90's/late 80's sounding drums on them?
Yes, I think the Stylus RMX would actually fit better than my first recommendation. It's got more 90s style with a vinyl sound to it. But it's a huge beast, can handle most things you throw at it.

Here's a 90s R&B demo: http://files.spectrasonics.net/mp3/S...ker_Booker.mp3. Got more demos here: Spectrasonics - Stylus RMX Demos.

Lots of people got Stylus RMX, so it should not be difficult to collect opinions and impressions about it - or even have someone demonstrate the sound by doing a quick groove for you. (I don't have it though)
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

SK thanks so much for all the help!! Anymore thoughts or ideas feel free!
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Lexicon PCM 70
Yamaha SPX 90, Rev 7
SSL E/G series channel gate/compressor, EQ
Old 14th August 2010
Gear Nut

Here's another vote for Linn 9000, and maybe even an Akai MPC 60. I use Lexicon impulses when I want that sound, expecially 480L gated.
Old 14th August 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses!

So Paul you wouldn't recommend the spx II for that sound i should go for the original?

Thwacko do you gate the sound yourself or does the impulse come that way?
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thwacko do you gate the sound yourself or does the impulse come that way?
I gate it myself post prcessing. I still use an old version of Acoustic Mirror, and I can set the tale to cut off.
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Old EMU Procussion is full of sounds like that.. if you can find one.

Procussion
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Ahh! the Procussion. Forgot about that one. No offense but I wouldn't even bother looking for that one. Having an EIII (at that time) I found the Procussion sounds to be small, thin and dull. No depth.
Better off sticking with the Roger Linn products (Linndrum, Linn 9000, Mpc 60 and II, MPC 3000), Roland TR-808 and Sequential Circuits Studio 440. For an inexpensive gated reverb sound try finding a Roland SRV2000 reverb.
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

My impression of the old Procussion was that the sounds are not pre-processed. Like most EMU sound modules it is more raw, unpolished, and invites you to use the sounds as material to churn out your own sounds with - as opposed to for example Roland where the sounds are all served to you.
Old 15th August 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey I'm looking to do some tracks with programmed drums that sound like some early 90's/late 80's R&B programmed drums....

Here are some specific examples that i love the drums on:

YouTube - ‪Re: babyface-I love you babe‬‎

YouTube - ‪Tevin Campbell - Can We Talk?‬‎

Anyone have any tips in getting drum sounds like these? I know a lot of the drum sounds from then come from drum machines but my ear can't place the drum sounds above to any drum machine... Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Just listened to "I love you babe"

To get that snare sound,I would first find a decent sample that sounds kinda close (at least close in pitch and attack) Then I would blend in some white noise with a signal generator + keyed gate.

For example in Pro Tools you would have your snare track. Then on the send of that track, send it to an unused AUX. Let's say "Aux 1" for example. Create a new track.

Now on that new track slap on the "signal generator" plugin. It comes with pro tools. (Turn down your monitors! It's loud!) Now set the signal type to "White Noise" .Now slap on an expander\gate on the same channel after the generator. On the gate select "Aux 1" as the side chain input (should have a little key for a logo on most gates) and then Enable Side chain (should be another key logo. You'll have to mess around with the noise level and the the gate settings, but it's pretty easy to figure out once you get it going...

You can also do this to get a really fat kick sound. You can follow the same steps but set the signal generator to "sine wave" and set the frequency where you like (i like it somewhere around 50hz) this will give you a bad ass sounding kick.

After you get the snare sounding in the ballpark of what you want, send it to a reverb aux. Try messing with shorter verbs.

Hope that somewhat helps... Or gives you some cool ideas...
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks so much for all the replies guys!!! Great ideas all around. Will look into them all.
Old 15th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk106 View Post
My impression of the old Procussion was that the sounds are not pre-processed. Like most EMU sound modules it is more raw, unpolished, and invites you to use the sounds as material to churn out your own sounds with - as opposed to for example Roland where the sounds are all served to you.
EMU used their V Chip for their proteus and procussion modules. Basically, it was a way of taking their 16 bit sounds and performing a kind of lossy data compression in order to fit all of those sounds into the single space units. While they were very cool for the money it is my opinion they sounded nowhere near as clear or having the definition of their big brother counterpart the EIII.
Old 29th October 2010
Gear Addict

Procussion is actually based on the G-chip
Old 29th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
Procussion is actually based on the G-chip
You are correct sir. It's been so long it accidentally slid down the alphabet in my memory.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search