The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Average mix time Studio Headphones
Old 15th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Do you guys charge by the hour or by the mix?
These days with the budgets of a lot of independent records you have to be flexible.

These days i do both.

The mix per hour is more pressurized but it also forces clients to make faster decisions and commitments.

It has that live mix feel to it.

I personally feel a mix shouldn't take longer than 4-5 hours(including all of the extra mixes;TV Mix,Instrumental,Acapella).

But some people shoot themselves in the foot.
Old 15th December 2005
Lives for gear

I hear ya on that it just seems like I'm always try to save the drummers life by grid editing and make the singer actually hit his notes. Crap like that. It seems musicians are getting worse. And mixes are taking longer. I dunno. If everything is playing back correctly(no fixin jus mixin) then 4-5 hours is plenty I agree.

I personally feel a mix shouldn't take longer than 4-5 hours(including all of the extra mixes;TV Mix,Instrumental,Acapella).

But some people shoot themselves in the foot. [/QUOTE]
Old 16th December 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
Do you guys charge by the hour or by the mix?
i do either a day rate, a song rate, or an album rate.
i have never done an hourly rate because i like to take as long as it takes to get a mix together and also like to take alot of breaks i always find it easier to get a song together with alot of breaks and i usually try to go for a walk or nowadays i listen to vinyl in the liveroom on a seperate stereo to change the way i listen for a while

ttyx,chris coady
Old 16th December 2005
Lives for gear

I'm in the 3-5 hour club. My landlord who also has a studio next door says that "mixing is just prolonging the inevitable". Meaning that if it doesn't sound worth a **** now, chances are it won't after 3 hours, or even 3 days. I've fixed some records in my day, but when I go back and listen to them, I still hear that they were poorly tracked.

Although, it's been a while since I mixed something that I didn't track. Some of my best mixing have been done in under 2 hours. Some of my worst have taken 2 or 3 days.

I'm not quite into the Steve Albini mentality of "If it doesn't sound right after 20 minutes, it probably sucks anyway." But, I'm starting to understand why Brendan O'Brien works 6 hours/day and in that time mixes 3 songs. Believe that?!

As for money, I charge by the song. That way I can spend as much or as little time as I need/want. The client only cares about the playback anyway. The rate depends on what's involved. I'd charge by the track, but I'm too lazy to do math.
Old 16th December 2005
Lives for gear

I charge by the song or the album.

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 16th December 2005
Gear Addict

I'm working on an indie album with another producer right now, and we've had 14 days to do 12 tracks. It's a little weird as I'm being his monkey on this, and so far it's gone like this:

Most of one day transferring from 2" to PT

daily:
1-2 hours making changes to yesterdays mix
20 mins to 4hrs editing on the track of the day
8-10 hrs mixing
15 minutes backing up

at the end of the whole thing we should have a day clear to make final revisions

Usually, on my stuff;
6-8 hrs mix time max, leave it, tweak it in the morning. If it's gone really well, do 2 tracks and leave for the morning. Send for approval, make tweaks after comments from artist/label, done.

There's also speed mixing. 5 tracks in a day, 10 in 2 ! Annoyingly, the thing I had to do like this sounded great, though admittedly it was fairly straightforward acoustic based pop. Made me wonder how much time is actually spent looking up one's own arse sometimes ??
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search