The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Singing the praises of the BG1 preamp.
Old 24th February 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Somebody on prosoundweb just clued me onto the BG1, I have read all of your reviews and they are all quite positve. But I am doing loud guitar driven rock about 90% of the time. I mean, are these a good choice for that type of thing (ditarted guitars and drums especially)?
Old 25th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5
Where can the BG1 be purchased in the U.S.?

Thanks
If you go to the DAV website, Mick Hinton (who designs and builds each one by hand) has his personal phone number available. He sells direct or he'll be able to put you in touch with a U.S distributor. Apparently the company that makes the boxes for the bg1 has gone bust so supply is limited at the moment.
Old 25th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twonky
Somebody on prosoundweb just clued me onto the BG1, I have read all of your reviews and they are all quite positve. But I am doing loud guitar driven rock about 90% of the time. I mean, are these a good choice for that type of thing (ditarted guitars and drums especially)?
I've had great results with heavy guitars and drums with my bg1. The transients response is amazing for anything percussive and it just loves dynamic mics so a 57 on a loud cab works great.
Old 10th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
http://www.michaelsawitzke.com/teddy/

no vocals..but samples nonetheless.

Mr. Bullard, I was so impressed by your recording of the tune How Insensitive that I am ordering the BG2.

Please tell about this recording and mic's used on instruments and placement? That is my favorite latin tune you have recorded. Who is the fine guitarist?

Thanks my friend once again-!!

-jim
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
actually, mike is one of my good friends here in LA... great guitarist in basically any style. we play gigs together sometimes and we both do recording stuff (location and studio).
nick
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2db
Mr. Bullard, I was so impressed by your recording of the tune How Insensitive that I am ordering the BG2.

Please tell about this recording and mic's used on instruments and placement? That is my favorite latin tune you have recorded. Who is the fine guitarist?

Thanks my friend once again-!!

-jim
Those are actually Gefells, (MG200). The recordist and guitarist is Micheal Sawitske..to go to his website, just chop off the /Teddy/ part of the website.He posted those samples for me when I was considering the dav! He is actually one of the reasons I got into the DAV, along with Plush , Rich Mays, and a couple others.

His name is MDS here. Great guy!

Teddy
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Musikk
I have just ordered a BG No.1 because of this thread...;-) Can't wait to get it...
Just ordered a BG-1 with the mod to the LED in order to match my Fireface peak at +19db.

Thanks much to this thread and to this awesome forum!!!

- GTR
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
congrats, you'll love it.
btw, I like the BG1 concept, because it allows for really short cable rund for high ohm signal, from the mic to the preamp. just position it at the mic stand.
you can't see the led then from the CR, but it's usefull to set the level, in the room, I guess.
the next one I'm going to buy, also will have that mod.
thumbsup
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Those are actually Gefells, (MG200). The recordist and guitarist is Micheal Sawitske..to go to his website, just chop off the /Teddy/ part of the website.He posted those samples for me when I was considering the dav! He is actually one of the reasons I got into the DAV, along with Plush , Rich Mays, and a couple others.

His name is MDS here. Great guy!

Teddy
haha, I thought my ears were burning!! The irony is that Teddy sold me my gefells! heh

Teddy, I just bought a MT71s! Woohoo!

Mike
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Finally I got one for audition.
Well, what was said is true, pre is very clean, pleasant sounding.
Probably the best bang for buck in clean department and definitely worth addition.
It seems it can replace Millenia with no problem.
On clean, nice vocals and piano with Brauner mics I prefer Gordon over DAV without shadow of doubt, a kind of realism beyond words.
But at 2700 $ vs 750 $ it's huge difference in price, so this makes DAV pre irresistible, one of the kind purchase.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds
haha, I thought my ears were burning!! The irony is that Teddy sold me my gefells! heh

Teddy, I just bought a MT71s! Woohoo!

Mike

The lure of Gefell is strong. Best mic company ever. Ive never met a gefell mic I didnt love.
Old 19th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
forgive me for rolling over an old thread, but i thought it would be better than starting a new one... maybe. anyway:

does anyone regularly engage the -26dB pad for normal recording purposes? does this enhance the "syrupy" characteristics of the BG1? (or DAV pre in general)

I've been engaging the pads lately when running digital stuff through it and back into my DAW. seems to work well...

thanks for any ideas.
Old 19th November 2008 | Show parent
Niv
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
@desotoslo

didn´t pay that much attention and i don´t know what "syrupy" means, but always had way the feel it softens the output a little bit. could be an plain issue of the gain though, i´m not sure at all. maybe i´ll take a closer ear some day.

----

generally, i´m very happy with it since about half a year and together with my ua 2192 converter its the most important piece for me. its very compact in the middle of everything, subtle in every dimension of its character and therefore very balanced and universal. warm and smooth but not undefined lush or compressed, strong and clear but not penetrant or aggressive. wonderful sound image and detail, perfect shape. nothing to fukk around with, more someone to marry and love forever. cause from that one you can go in every direction you like by the gear you put afterwards or the mics you would put before it.

built quality superb as well, not even the smallest problem so far.
📝 Reply