The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha S8M monitors?
Old 5th August 2010
Gear Addict

Yamaha S8M monitors?

Anyone ever use these? 3-ways with an 8" woofer. They appear to be from the early/mid 90's. I just picked up a pair for $45 from Craigslist. I figure, they're probably going to be better than the Aiwa stereo speakers I'm using right now... But any real-world experience with these would be greatly appreciated. How do they compare to the NS10's? Are they halfway worthy as studio monitors?
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Addict

OLD Bump...

I've been using these since August and I'm curious if a low-budget monitor upgrade is in order. Alesis Monitor 1's any better?
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Nut

I bought these new, and used them for years until I got a pair of JBL L110s. I liked the S8Ms better than NS10s, personally, but I ended up selling both sets & now use the L110s or modded JBL 4401s.

je
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Nut

Also interested in these... found a pair I could potentially buy for cheap. Does anyone else have experience with the s8m? I've done searches and haven't come up with very much.
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Nut

I guess what I'm specifically wondering, is how they fair compared to the ns10's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
I bought these new, and used them for years until I got a pair of JBL L110s. I liked the S8Ms better than NS10s, personally, but I ended up selling both sets & now use the L110s or modded JBL 4401s.

je
Fred, what exactly do you prefer about the s8m's over the ns10's? I'm hoping that they're almost identical, with maybe a slightly extended low end (I can dream, right?) I do believe they also have the paper cones.

Knowledgeable, and experienced gearslutz... Please feel free to jump in!
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Poison View Post
I guess what I'm specifically wondering, is how they fair compared to the ns10's.

Fred, what exactly do you prefer about the s8m's over the ns10's? I'm hoping that they're almost identical, with maybe a slightly extended low end (I can dream, right?) I do believe they also have the paper cones.

Knowledgeable, and experienced gearslutz... Please feel free to jump in!
I don't think they sounded all that similar, actually. The NS10s just made me want to stop working...they irritated me pretty quickly. I kept rotating the NS10s back in every once in a while because of their reputation, but I just couldn't stand them. I sold them to a friend who has a successful studio, and his results have been great. Different strokes...

The best thing I can tell you about the S8Ms is that all of the work I tracked using them is still making me pretty happy today while I'm archiving the old recordings. I bought them new in 1986 or 1987 I think, probably in the $150-175 range. I sold them to a friend who used them for a few more years, not sure where they are now. They didn't irritate me, seemed to show me what was actually going to tape, mixes on them translated well. What more do you want from a cheap set of near-fields? All cone drivers, but non-removable grille cloth if I remember correctly. Not terribly efficient, but not bad, I used a ~100 WPC Yamaha pro amp (P2100) into them.

je
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
I don't think they sounded all that similar, actually. The NS10s just made me want to stop working...they irritated me pretty quickly. I kept rotating the NS10s back in every once in a while because of their reputation, but I just couldn't stand them. I sold them to a friend who has a successful studio, and his results have been great. Different strokes...

The best thing I can tell you about the S8Ms is that all of the work I tracked using them is still making me pretty happy today while I'm archiving the old recordings. I bought them new in 1986 or 1987 I think, probably in the $150-175 range. I sold them to a friend who used them for a few more years, not sure where they are now. They didn't irritate me, seemed to show me what was actually going to tape, mixes on them translated well. What more do you want from a cheap set of near-fields? All cone drivers, but non-removable grille cloth if I remember correctly. Not terribly efficient, but not bad, I used a ~100 WPC Yamaha pro amp (P2100) into them.

je
Gotcha. Well, at the price range they're being sold at, why not? I've also been looking at the older Yamaha P2--- series amps.

I'm curious as to why there is practically no information about them on the internet. I've found Yamaha's site and a few other forums where people have asked about them; other than that, nothing. Either total failure, or hidden gem! I guess I'll find out soon.
Old 3rd June 2011
Gear Addict

I loved them, because they were a huge improvement from my Aiwa bookshelf speakers.

I bought a set of used Alesis M1 MkII Active's w/ 6.5" drivers for $120 for the pair, thinking I'd use the Yammy's and reference on the Alesis.

The Yammy's are now sitting in the corner, waiting for my next trip to my storage unit. They aren't bad speakers, but I'm making better mixes faster with less referencing (mix on the S8M, burn a CD, listen in my car, go back, tweak, burn a CD, listen in my car, check it on my iPod, go back, tweak...). I'm in still in the process of learning my Alesis, but I'm finding the difference between the two anything but subtle. Where everything I mixed on the Yammy's sounded like it had a wool blanket over it, everything I do with the Alesis is well balanced, clear, crisp, and tight.

The 6.5" drivers BLOW AWAY the S8M's low end. No comparison. It's a lot easier to dial in a kick drum on the Alesis than the S8M's. YMMV, and for really cheap, they aren't bad (I got mine for $40), but if this is going to be your go-to monitor setup, save up from some better ones.

Since the Alesis are so much better than the S8M's, and the Alesis are kinda the low-end of studio monitors, I'm curious just what a mid-level monitoring setup would do for me. Huge improvement again, or subtle difference? Hmm...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search