The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Addict

AES?

I Haven't used it before so im a little confused
since AES is a Stereo i/o If i run a 8 Channel AD/DA into a AES i/o would all 8 inputs on the Converter be summed as a stereo Track? or would only Channels 1-2 Work?
Old 4th August 2010
AES/EBU is a digital i/o protocol. It has nothing to do with summing, nor is it stereo only. It is simply digital i/o. Where you may be getting confused is that AES can handle two channels over a single connection, however you can certainly break that out to two mono channels (though AES ports are generally stereo on multi-channel digital devices).

For example, if you have 8 channels of analog A/D and 8 channels of AES/EBU, the audio, once converted to digital via the A/D, can be routed out through the AES/EBU i/o. Vice versa for going the other way (i.e. AES to analog D/A).

Some examples of AES connections on outboard gear are things like an external CD player/burner. This would usually have stereo AES input and output ports on XLR. An example a mono AES device would be the TC Electronics Intonator which is a single channel pitch correction digital device.

If you don't want to introduce an extra stage of A/D and/or D/A and you have AES/EBU i/o on your interface, you can run AES out of the outboard gear to the AES in on your interface (and vice versa).

Hope that helps explain things!
Old 23rd August 2010
Gear Addict

Can a digi 002r take advantage of aes cables? I'm looking at a lynx aurora 8. I'm assuming that the db25 to xlr ins and outs connected to the digi via adat is my only option. However, I was wondering if the aes/digital connections can be utilized at all.
Old 23rd August 2010
Unfortunately, no, the 002 (nor the 003) can take in AES/EBU. ADAT and S/PDIF are your only options.
Old 26th September 2010
Here for the gear

my understanding is that SPDIF i/p's can , in most cases be driven by a AES o/p's given a impedance converter / pad cable.
i found this super useful....

Interfacing AES3 & S/PDIF

I'm about to try one of these passive networks to connect an AES o/p to SDPIF i/p

Let you know what happens
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search