The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW Poll Who's using what in 2010?
View Poll Results: What DAW are you using in 2010
Pro Tools LE
167 Votes - 15.25%
Pro Tools HD
139 Votes - 12.69%
Steinberg Nuendo
89 Votes - 8.13%
Steinberg Cubase
187 Votes - 17.08%
Logic Pro
231 Votes - 21.10%
Reaper
185 Votes - 16.89%
Sonar
202 Votes - 18.45%
Ableton Live
67 Votes - 6.12%
PreSonus Studio One
19 Votes - 1.74%
Other
107 Votes - 9.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1095. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMedia View Post
Are you suggesting "Which DAW do you use most" or "Which DAW is best" Polls
I'm only saying that the question defines the answers you get.

The question could be...

What is you preferred DAW for professional use?
What is you preferred DAW for composing?
If you could choose only one DAW for all kinds of work, which would you choose?
Which DAW would you use if the goal was to be compatible with as many potential clients as possible?
Which DAW would you use if the goal was to be compatible with as many professional studios as as possible?
Which DAW do you use most often?
What is your preferred native DAW?
What is your favorite Mac DAW?
What is your favorite PC DAW?
Please list all the DAWs you own or use...

...and so on.
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear nut

Here's my answers
  1. What is you preferred DAW for professional use? Nuendo
  2. What is you preferred DAW for composing? Logic
  3. If you could choose only one DAW for all kinds of work, which would you choose? Nuendo with NEK add on
  4. Which DAW would you use if the goal was to be compatibility with as many potential clients as possible? Pro Tools
  5. Which DAW would you use if the goal was to be compatibility with as many professional studios as as possible? Pro Tools HD
  6. Which DAW do you use most often? Nuendo
  7. What is your preferred native DAW? Nuendo
  8. What is your favorite Mac DAW? Pro Tools HD
  9. What is your favorite PC DAW? Nuendo
  10. Please list all the DAWs you own or use... Nuendo (Pro Tools Very Old) Audition

As you can see I have many different answer for each question and couple of them I could of answered for two different DAW's

Anyway I'm happy with my Question. sorry you didn't understand it
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Head

Voted SONAR as that's my main, but I also put an "other" vote in there which is really MOTU DP - so DP+1 and Other -1
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear nut

Reaper. The "PT is the industry standard" thing can continue to be thrown around, and Avid can continue to hope that keeps them selling enough of their product. Kinda explains the exclusionary hardware regime and price, I suppose.
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Nut

Pro Tools HD at work and LE at home... not only because its the industry standard (which it definitely is), but because I'm extremely fast and comfortable with it.

For music creation - Logic Pro all the way.

Quick editing, I use Peak.

I also make my own tools with MaxMSP/Csound, and I'll jump into Ableton Live occasionally, but I spend my days at work mostly in front of a Pro Control + PT HD3.
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Addict

Pro Tools HD2 7.3.1 Accel PCIe on G5 ppc dual 2.3.

Very stable system.

-Box
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
The people who don't care enough to vote, represent an undocumented demographic that could have totally different tastes and far outnumber the "voters" in the poll

Yep, and as everybody knows: the more obscure the product, the more rabid the fanboys. heh
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
I use SONAR 8.5.3 Producer as my main DAW. Its actually the one I always use.
Cj
I also use Sonar 8.5.3 Producer and I'm extremely pleased with the workflow.
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear interested

Hi guys!

My vote was: Nuendo (5)

But I do use Logic and Reaper quite a lot these days.

Cheers

JOGA
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think you're also wrong in also saying its down to a Sales figures because if Reaper sells 1000 licences at $250 thats $250,000 where Nuendo sells the same 1000 Licences at $2,000 then thats $2,000,000 sales figures. Which one is more successful?
Being a person who would rather have $2 million than $250,000, I would say Nuendo is more "successful". Especially when you are selling software which is really just 'copies'. Market share is not = 'bragging rights'.

By your standard, clearly Garageband is the most "successful" then, because there are more "copies" of it out there than anything else. heh

Quote:
This is an Un.-official Poll but how else could you do this.
you could do it by sending out several hundred emails or PMs to randomly selected individuals. Instead of letting people select themselves and 'voting'. My sister once worked for a real pollster, and was actually required to roll dice to determine which house on a particular block she would go up to and ring the bell.

Quote:
And yes the poll only represent those who can be bothered voting. So does EVERY political election thats ever been run. Thats the whole piont of having a vote. As they say if you don't vote then don't complain.
?? This poll does not give me a "vote" in anything. . Nothing happens if my DAW "wins". The correct analogy to the actual political election here is the people putting their money down and buying a DAW. Then they are voting with their wallets. Sales figures would tell you who and how many, but a self-selected poll has too much static.

A poll like this is more like those banner ads where you click on McCain or Obama and get taken to a page where they are trying to sell you refinancing on your mortgage. Many people will go to the polls in November, but how "representative" are those who are so gung-ho about their candidate that they will click on these obvious ads? Nobody would try to predict the election based on the clicks for American Home Mortgage.

Self-selecting polls are just begging to be spammed by the fanboys. It is about 'bragging rights' and not actual information. Just look at the comments! "My DAW rules! Your DAW sucks!" etc etc. The last poll spawned a 'campaign' on another website to register people at Gearslutz - for sole purpose of voting in the poll for a certain DAW.

It is more like a contest, really. It's not about measurement. The longer it is up, the more it is about effort. Who can gather the most votes for their obscure DAW? Who can collect the biggest ball of string? Only 3 weeks left!

Gearslutz is a good community for a poll, but I would be much more interested in a poll made from a random sample of Gearslutz. 1000 PMs to randomly selected individuals might get you closer to reality. But I guess nobody is genuinely curious about reality, they only care about justifying their purchases, and dealing with their inferiority/superiority complexes about their DAWs by manipulating the appearance of reality.
Old 3rd August 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Being a person who would rather have $2 million than $250,000, I would say Nuendo is more "successful". Especially when you are selling software which is really just 'copies'. Market share is not = 'bragging rights'.

By your standard, clearly Garageband is the most "successful" then, because there are more "copies" of it out there than anything else. heh

you could do it by sending out several hundred emails or PMs to randomly selected individuals. Instead of letting people select themselves and 'voting'. My sister once worked for a real pollster, and was actually required to roll dice to determine which house on a particular block she would go up to and ring the bell.

?? This poll does not give me a "vote" in anything. . Nothing happens if my DAW "wins". The correct analogy to the actual political election here is the people putting their money down and buying a DAW. Then they are voting with their wallets. Sales figures would tell you who and how many, but a self-selected poll has too much static.

A poll like this is more like those banner ads where you click on McCain or Obama and get taken to a page where they are trying to sell you refinancing on your mortgage. Many people will go to the polls in November, but how "representative" are those who are so gung-ho about their candidate that they will click on these obvious ads? Nobody would try to predict the election based on the clicks for American Home Mortgage.

Self-selecting polls are just begging to be spammed by the fanboys. It is about 'bragging rights' and not actual information. Just look at the comments! "My DAW rules! Your DAW sucks!" etc etc. The last poll spawned a 'campaign' on another website to register people at Gearslutz - for sole purpose of voting in the poll for a certain DAW.

It is more like a contest, really. It's not about measurement. The longer it is up, the more it is about effort. Who can gather the most votes for their obscure DAW? Who can collect the biggest ball of string? Only 3 weeks left!

Gearslutz is a good community for a poll, but I would be much more interested in a poll made from a random sample of Gearslutz. 1000 PMs to randomly selected individuals might get you closer to reality. But I guess nobody is genuinely curious about reality, they only care about justifying their purchases, and dealing with their inferiority/superiority complexes about their DAWs by manipulating the appearance of reality.
I totally understand what you are saying but gathering 1000 PM's at random its just not practical to do. We clearly have different points of view. All the best
Old 3rd August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio View Post
And Steinberg has both had Combo Licenses and really cheap crossgrade offers between Cubase and Nuendo.

This means that in terms of the amount of users (as opposed to installed applications), the results are misleading.
I agree that these silly polls are misleading, but so is your comment above (and many other self-serving comments in this thread). tutt There is no such thing as a crossgrade between Cubase and Nuendo... let alone a "really cheap" one.

It doesn't exist. Internet forums (and polls especially) are not really the place to find neutral and factual information.

This is the problem with the Internet. People will use or demo a product and whatever truths he gleans from it then he'll repeat for the next 15 years as if it has any chance of still being true. Especially if it supports a contention. I see this a lot with Cubendo, people talking about things from way back in SX3, having no idea of how they've changed.... since the historical period known as "the great crack revolution". heh
Old 4th August 2010
Gear interested

+1 for Sonar 8.5.3!

It's got it all!

Cheers
Old 4th August 2010
I'm a SONAR guy also. Nice to see it better represented than it has been in the past around here.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

This poll does not actually "tell" us anything... its just an indication, the rest is assumption...

If this poll was in high-end it would be different still... or in music computers...
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

SONAR baby! I've been with Cake since the Pro Audio days. A great, solid piece of kit!
Old 4th August 2010
Gear nut

Hey everyone Due to SOOOOOO many people commplaining about the poll and me not having all DAW's especially DP I'm going to try to delete the poll and start a fresh. Sorry to everyone who has already voted I hope you vote again. The new poll will have all DAW's I can find on the Planet and will run for a couple of months. SO let your DAW forums know get as much support and self promotion for your DAW as you can and get voting.

I'm also trying to get the gearslutz people to make it sticky.

Should be up and running again in a couple of days
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrockbone View Post
so I can't even begin to start leafing through all this...but is this poll telling us that most GSers are not Pros because HD is low in the poll...or that more pros are using non HD rigs?

True. PTHD is the industry standard, as every owner of a full-time studio knows, whether they like it or not. The fact Reaper fans are farting at this fact indicates that they are not in the industry, or they would know better.

Of course, the OP is not restricting the question to pros.

Perhaps there is a forum somewhere for studio pros only.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear interested

PMedia:

It's not a good idea to delete this poll if you want to see a level of participation, in any other poll started here, as you see now for this poll.

Just start another thread and label it something like The Comprehensive DAW poll.

I'm here representing SONAR. Over in the SONAR forum, we reached out and called for the support for SONAR users to come here and participate in this poll, now you're saying you're going to delete it?

Well, if you do, don't expect to see the same amount of participation as you see, now. It also makes you and this forum appear amatuer looking and unorganized.

At the time of this post, SONAR has 3rd place in this poll with 113 votes. If you end up deleting this poll, and you see hardly any votes for SONAR in some other poll, you know we were discouraged to vote because our efforts to participate were made null by this current poll being deleted.

As already pointed out by some here, a poll such as this doesn't reflect an accurate picture of how many users really use what DAW software, but just remember, we SONAR users were here representing our use of SONAR for this poll.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear interested

Sonar is my weapon of choice!
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Addict

I think I have switched to Reaper from Cubase about one month ago. I like the way things can be customized in Reaper, how quick and small it is, and above all a developer who is listening as opposed to Steinberg.

A couple of years ago I used Sonar. Not bad, but I would never go back.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasabarnes View Post
PMedia:

It's not a good idea to delete this poll if you want to see a level of participation, in any other poll started here, as you see now for this poll.

Just start another thread and label it something like The Comprehensive DAW poll.

I'm here representing SONAR. Over in the SONAR forum, we reached out and called for the support for SONAR users to come here and participate in this poll, now you're saying you're going to delete it?

Well, if you do, don't expect to see the same amount of participation as you see, now. It also makes you and this forum appear amatuer looking and unorganized.

Currently, SONAR has 3rd place in this poll with 113 votes. If you end up deleting this poll, and you see hardly any votes for SONAR in some other poll, you know we were discouraged to vote because our efforts to participate were made null by this current poll being deleted.

As already pointed out by some here, a poll such as this doesn't reflect an accurate picture of how many users really use what DAW software, but just remember, we SONAR users were here representing our use of SONAR for this poll.
Yes I agree but thats the whole point. The Digital Performer people were saying hey you forgot us so the poll is useless. I've had even my Nuendo guys saying this Poll isn't any good because not everyone is listed.... I just think if we start again from the top with all DAW's then EVERYONE is on a level playing field and no one can complain.

If any particular DAW community/forum decides snobs the Poll then thats their loss - I say go for it everyone represent your DAW. Even if it means Garageband wins? At the end of the day its a bit of fun, Un-official, and maybe only represent the the gearslutz forum. And lets face it your not going to change to other DAW from your own beloved DAW just because it didn't win the Poll. I couldn't care less if Reaper won I'm not going to change from Nuendo.

I know this is not scientific or an "official Poll' but it would be good to at least get some indication on what's being use today. We done to you Sonar guys and Reaper for rallying around and voting. I'm really sorry this is a pain and if you don't vote again I understand but hopefully you will. If you come to gearslutz on a semi regular basis then I'm sure its not a problem. It will take a few seconds and I'll leave the Poll up for at least a couple of months. Fingers crossed gearslutz will sticky it.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
SO let your DAW forums know get as much support and self promotion for your DAW as you can and get voting.
meanwhile Howard Stern has asked everyone to vote for the one they feel is the Worst DAW...
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Im reppin Sonar 8.5, its the DAW i know best.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
There is no such thing as a crossgrade between Cubase and Nuendo... let alone a "really cheap" one.

It doesn't exist. Internet forums (and polls especially) are not really the place to find neutral and factual information.
Hey Lawrence, I wrote that crossgrade offers had existed, not that they do exist now. According to Google:

Cubase 5 crossgrade from Nuendo no longer available.. [Archive] - Cubendo.com

They have been as low as $199:
Nuendo 4 Questions

That link also mentions the combo license solution.

Actually, as low as $169,99: nuendo.com .:|:. View topic - Crossgrade from Nuendo 3 to Cubase 4 pricing?

But never mind - it's only a DAW. And regarding multiple poll choices - they may also increase the number of Logic votes - since many studios use PTHD as their main DAW, but also have Logic installed even if they don't use Logic as much as PTHD. I have nothing against Multiple Reply polls, they'll just give different results than Single Reply polls - which is fine... all depending on the poll question and what one expects the replies to reflect.

Some people have been told by Steinberg that people who have used their crossgrade offers can keep using both apps ("The license on the key will be updated so you can open either Cubase 4 or Nuendo 4 with your dongle."), while others state that you lose the original license. So there has either been several, but different crossgrade offers, or Steinberg have been confused about their own policy. Or both.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Now that we have other forums rallying their troops to "represent" for their DAW of choice we really have "jumped the shark".
It's getting pretty silly in here.
This poll has been rendered moot.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Now that we have other forums rallying their troops to "represent" for their DAW of choice we really have "jumped the shark".
It's not the first time this happens with DAW polls on GS. Who are rallying their troops now?
Old 4th August 2010
Gear nut

OK help me out please here is the list of Digital Audio Workstations I can think of - am I missing any. The list is from Professional to free DAW
  1. Ableton Live
  2. ACID Pro
  3. Adobe Audition
  4. Audiocity
  5. Ardour
  6. Cakewalk Sonar
  7. Digital Performer
  8. FL Studio
  9. GarageBand
  10. LMMS
  11. Logic Pro
  12. MAGIX Samplitude
  13. Mixcraft
  14. MU.LAB
  15. MusE
  16. n-Track Studio
  17. Orion Platinum
  18. PreSonus Studio One
  19. Powertracks Pro Audio
  20. Pro Tools LE
  21. Pro Tools HD
  22. Pro Tools M-Powered
  23. Propellerhead Record
  24. Qtractor
  25. REAPER
  26. Renoise
  27. Rosegarden
  28. Sadie
  29. Soundtrack Pro
  30. Steinberg Cubase
  31. Steinberg Nuendo
  32. Tracktion
  33. Traverso DAW
  34. Usine
  35. Zynewave Podium
  36. Z-Maestro
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK help me out please here is the list of Digital Audio Workstations I can think of - am I missing any. The list is from Professional to free DAW
Radar (iZ Technology Corporation | Products: RADAR & ADA)
Pyramix (Merging Technologies)
Sequel (http://www.sequel-music.net/)
Paris (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan9...soniqparis.htm)
X-48 (http://www.tascam.com/products/x-48.html)
Tape Machine

I guess the question will be raised if we're going to vote on software only, or on soft/hardware combined DAWs as well - like the AKAI, Korg and Roland VS workstations, possibly even the Korg M1 as a workstation. Protools touches this definition of combined soft/hardware system too.

PS. You listed "Audiocity", but it sounds like you ment to list this one, called "Audacity"? .DS
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search