The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW Poll Who's using what in 2010? DAW Software
View Poll Results: What DAW are you using in 2010
Pro Tools LE
167 Votes - 15.25%
Pro Tools HD
139 Votes - 12.69%
Steinberg Nuendo
89 Votes - 8.13%
Steinberg Cubase
187 Votes - 17.08%
Logic Pro
231 Votes - 21.10%
Reaper
185 Votes - 16.89%
Sonar
202 Votes - 18.45%
Ableton Live
67 Votes - 6.12%
PreSonus Studio One
19 Votes - 1.74%
Other
107 Votes - 9.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1095. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd September 2010
  #301
Lives for gear
 
djanthonyw's Avatar
 

I'll just quote myself from the other thread Fredofrog posted in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
All audio sequencers sound the same. There is no difference in their audio engine. The only software that processes audio different by default is:

Cubase / Nuendo = 1db louder
Record = Modeled SSL mixer
Mixbus = Modeled Harrison mixer




From my experiencing I find Record to just sound amazing out of the box, it really is amazing, however you can also get Slate's Virtual Console Collection soon and it can be added to any sequencer for analog emulation goodness. I can tell you first hand that it's at least on par.

Remember to check / adjust your pan law settings.
Old 2nd September 2010
  #302
Lives for gear
 
sleepingbag's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredofrog View Post
Hi, Sorry, I don't need to do it as the difference is too obvious that even my two (non musician, but just music lovers) friends after listening to all three programs have told me that the worst sounding was Logic. They both told me that Logic sounds muddier to them. Well, they didn't had to be blindfolded as they would not have a clue which one is which. I am not trying to prove anything here but I can hear Logic's sound when I am recording acoustic instruments. I probably would not be able to tell the difference if I was recording synth or an amplified guitar and probably would like the added lower mids (or whatever it is) to the sound ............... but I don't want to have these extra frequencies in my sax sound.

Anyway, I'll try to record/mix one of my albums completely in Logic 9 and maybe then I will change my opinion about it.

NEVER GIVE UP:-)
Regards,
IGOR
doubt anybody's gonna care if you change your opinion about a fact
Old 2nd September 2010
  #303
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredofrog View Post
Hi, Sorry, I don't need to do it as the difference is too obvious that even my two (non musician, but just music lovers) friends after listening to all three programs have told me that the worst sounding was Logic. They both told me that Logic sounds muddier to them. Well, they didn't had to be blindfolded as they would not have a clue which one is which. I am not trying to prove anything here but I can hear Logic's sound when I am recording acoustic instruments. I probably would not be able to tell the difference if I was recording synth or an amplified guitar and probably would like the added lower mids (or whatever it is) to the sound ............... but I don't want to have these extra frequencies in my sax sound.

Anyway, I'll try to record/mix one of my albums completely in Logic 9 and maybe then I will change my opinion about it.

NEVER GIVE UP:-)
Regards,
IGOR
Don't agree with you there. I recorded the same source both in Live and Logic. Without any plug-ins inserted the sound is exactly the same. No difference at all in waveform. Now if you use plug-ins and have different pan laws, then yes the sound will be different.
Old 2nd September 2010
  #304
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredofrog View Post
Hi, Sorry, I don't need to do it as the difference is too obvious.
cop out

I though you earlier said it was "really subtle"??

funny how they always have an excuse to not even try the blindfold on. As if they know deep down their perception is shakey.

the difference is real obvious when you have the screen on:
one says "Logic" and the other says "Nuendo"

As long as you set up the exact same mix in both programs, including pan law and matching plugs you will not be able to tell the difference - they will treat the audio the same.

FWIW there are some people on this board who agree with you that they sound different, but a lot of them say Nuendo is "obviously" the muddy one.

Quote:
I am not trying to prove anything here
Good for you, because you haven't

My modest proposal: people who aren't willing to back up their fantastical claims with real testing should refrain from annoying the rest of us with yet another boring report of their Placebos.
Old 2nd September 2010
  #305
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Yes, the best one:-

Sequoia is what I use.

I would say the best are probably Sequoia SADiE and Pyramix with Pro-Tools and Samplitude coming along close behind.
For most applications, Sequoia and Samplitude are identical. What makes you rank Samplitude after SADiE and Pyramix? I just upgraded from Samplitude to Sequoia myself, so I'm just curious.
Old 2nd September 2010
  #306
Lives for gear
 

The fact that the two worst DAWs on the market are so widely used (Pro Tools and Logic Audio) is amazing to me.

Good marketing will get you everything apparently.
Old 2nd September 2010
  #307
Lives for gear
 
s12512's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechstudio View Post


OUTBOARD IS GOOD!!!!!!
Heck Yea!
Old 3rd September 2010
  #308
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
cop out

I though you earlier said it was "really subtle"??

funny how they always have an excuse to not even try the blindfold on. As if they know deep down their perception is shakey.

the difference is real obvious when you have the screen on:
one says "Logic" and the other says "Nuendo"

As long as you set up the exact same mix in both programs, including pan law and matching plugs you will not be able to tell the difference - they will treat the audio the same.

FWIW there are some people on this board who agree with you that they sound different, but a lot of them say Nuendo is "obviously" the muddy one.



Good for you, because you haven't

My modest proposal: people who aren't willing to back up their fantastical claims with real testing should refrain from annoying the rest of us with yet another boring report of their Placebos.

Yes, I said that difference was subtle........ but I was talking about the same wav file played on the same computer in Logic and quicktime not Logic and other two programs. If you can't hear the difference it's ok with me but I do hear and it bothers me........ that's all.
Old 23rd September 2010
  #309
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
It seems that Sonar users have a bad case of small cox.
heh
Old 27th September 2010
  #310
Gear Addict
 

logic pro

I have both logic and pro tools...but 90 percent of the time I use logic pro
Old 27th September 2010
  #311
Lives for gear
 

The cheaper Reaper is a keeper. Visually, not so smancy-fancy (like my old DAWling, N-Track !). But for me, tapping into as little RAM as possible is a priority, and for me that makes Reaper almost mandatory.
Old 27th September 2010
  #312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzlanda View Post
I honestly think that this is a blatantly idiotic statement. First of all, I personally think that Pro Tools is a piece of **** if your doing anything other than recording a band. In terms of producing your own music, say at home with some electronic instruments, I find it completely inefficient.

I also think people who decide to use a piece of gear because it is "the industry standard bla bla bla" are ******s. It honestly reminds me of the sort of people who own a Ferrari, don't know how to drive it, but have it so they can boast to all their friends about how fast it is.
all well and good as long as you're not running a professional commercial studio... otherwise it just sounds like the usual envy and disdain... there is a very good reason why Avid can get away with their screwball policies.
Old 27th September 2010
  #313
Lives for gear
 
Teddy Ray's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
For most applications, Sequoia and Samplitude are identical. What makes you rank Samplitude after SADiE and Pyramix? I just upgraded from Samplitude to Sequoia myself, so I'm just curious.

there are no major differences..just the 4 point cutting/cross fade editing, DDP generation, etc...so I find that statement odd too.

I like SaDie, but Pyramix , in my opinioon...SUCKS.Clunky interface, non-intuitive. Pro Tools?? Not even going to go there, I learned recording on a PT system, but.. compared to Sequoia and Samplitude(and even reaper, PT is too mickey mouse..)
Old 27th September 2010
  #314
Here for the gear
 
Brain.wavs's Avatar
 

I have been a Pro Tools LE user but recently downloaded Reaper and I am seriously thinking about making the switch. I am just sick and tired of the PT LE limitations and it will be hard to let go but I'd rather support something that gives back. Is anyone aware of any good Reaper tutorials that can get me up and running quickly without a bunch of BS.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Bump Music / So Much Gear, So Little Time
71
CareerTech1 / Music Computers
47
CareerTech1 / Music Computers
8
Songhead / So Much Gear, So Little Time
0
Jules / Music Computers
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump