The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chameleon Labs TS-1 MKII and optional LD capsule
Old 1st August 2010
Lives for gear

Chameleon Labs TS-1 MKII and optional LD capsule

I found this on the TransAudioGroup website:

The TS-1 MKII is a small diaphragm tube condenser microphone, unique in design (by mic guru Terry Setter), and versatile in application. Driven by newly designed vacuum tube electronics, the TS-1 provides an unmatched combination of sparkle and warmth without the overly bright sonic qualities of other leading pencil condensers.

The TS-1 MKII package includes:

• TS-1 MKII small diaphragm tube condenser microphone
• AC power supply
• Cardioid capsule
• Omni capsule
• TS-1 MKII shock mount
• 25-foot 7-pin microphone cable
• AC power cable
• Windscreen
• Aluminum carrying case
• One year warranty

Optional Accesories:

TS-1H, A hypercardioid capsule,
TS1-L, A Large Diaphram capsule (1-inch diameter, gold sputtered diaphragm; 3-microns thick) which transforms the TS-1 MKII into a warm, vocal or bass instrument microphone and has switchable Cardioid or Omni patterns
ADP-1 An optional adaptor that will allow original CK Series capsules from AKG® to be mounted on the body of the TS-1 MKII.

This looks very interesting, and it seems to have replaced the TS-2 LDC mic and the TS-1, while taking design cues from both and combining them into one package. I have been a fan of Terry Setter's designs in the past, and am very interested in this new mic.

I have been waiting some time for the Mojave MA-100 combo with Michael Joly's LDC head, which has been delayed, and seeing how his capsule doesn't work with the TS-1, this looks like the answer...... However, I don't know the quality of this LD capsule, but it does have some pickup options via switch on the front...

Another great looking feature is the variable tube drive, which allows you to color your source with "heater voltage"........ Not to mention the AKG CK1 adapters, and I have three CK1's....

Looks great!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Chameleon Labs TS-1 MKII and optional LD capsule-ts1-l.jpg   Chameleon Labs TS-1 MKII and optional LD capsule-ts1mkii_w_ps_1.jpg  
Old 6th October 2010
saw this in the new mix mag today. anyone tried this mic yet?
Old 6th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
I think I might pick one up, considering the LDC head is free right now.

I'll post here if I get it.
Old 6th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
I think I might pick one up, considering the LDC head is free right now.

I'll post here if I get it.
awesome. is that free LDC everywhere or just a certain dealer?
Old 6th October 2010
Quote:
awesome. is that free LDC everywhere or just a certain dealer?
i'd like to know this too.
Old 6th October 2010
Gear Addict

The free capsule is a limited time promotion offered by Chameleon Labs, and is available from all CL dealers.
Old 7th October 2010
Quote:
I ordered 2 of them last week.

I'll report back when I have a chance to use them.
Old 7th October 2010
does anyone know anything about the large "free" capsule?
Old 7th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddP View Post
The free capsule is a limited time promotion offered by Chameleon Labs, and is available from all CL dealers.
how long is the promo?
Old 7th October 2010
I listened to some clips on CL's website as compared to KM-84 and M147 and the CL sounds kinda bright for my tastes.
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I listened to some clips on CL's website as compared to KM-84 and M147 and the CL sounds kinda bright for my tastes.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if adjusting the tube to run cooler on the new PSU will make the capsule any darker sounding or just more distortion?

Unfortunately, even Chameleon's website doesn't have any clips of the new LDC head to see how that sounds when paired with the TS-1 mkII.

How long is this promo running?
Old 7th October 2010
Gear Addict

The promo lasts until November 15th
Old 7th October 2010
Quote:
thx Todd.
Old 7th October 2010
Quote:
todd, any info on the large capsule? thanks!
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelekonStudios View Post
I ordered 2 of them last week.

I'll report back when I have a chance to use them.

Any findings you care to report on. I have just ordered two (plan on using for grand piano) anybody care to comment on how they perform tracking painos and snare top- love my M201 on snare top- but intrigued about using this on snare top for a different texture.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 22nd November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Any findings you care to report on. I have just ordered two (plan on using for grand piano) anybody care to comment on how they perform tracking painos and snare top- love my M201 on snare top- but intrigued about using this on snare top for a different texture.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
I'm really enjoying them! I've had the chance to record grand piano and several acoustic guitars with them. I would say that they have a very neutral sound, possibly even a little dark, which surprised me! They do not have an uber hyped top end like some might expect.

I have only tracked with them on the normal setting. We did try the warm setting once and it brightened the top end considerably.

Not sure how it would sound on snare. I also have the Beyer M201 and love it for snare. It might sound good on snare for jazzy stuff or if the drummer is using brushes. I personally would not put it on a rock or metal kit for fear that it might get whacked.
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

I agree with what Daniel said above. I've mixed about half a dozen songs in which the chameleons were used on acoustic guitar in his studio. An Se4 was also used in various combinations with the chameleons through a Millennia M2b and I can usually tell what tracks were chameleon and what were SE. The chameleons are very neutral sounding with a slight smoothing that kept things from sounding brittle. So far I really haven't noticed them favoring or hyping any particular frequencies. They just sound like a slightly less edgy version of what I was hearing in the room when tracking. I've got to say that they have been a joy to work with in the sense that they are predictable and neutral.
Old 26th November 2010
Jai guru deva om

We tested the TS1 MKII with all capsules on drums, guitars and vocals on the Clip-A-Lator gear test page on my site. It really is a great system, bang for the buck it's hard to say anything really "beats" it. We used the warm and cold heater settings on most sources as well.

War
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

I've heard such great things about the original MKI - I'm a bit pissed now that I missed the additional LDC - damn and the 15/11 is my birthday!

Is it true that it used the same capsule as the c4's?

If so, which I'm pretty sure War said it does, which other mics use this SAME cap?
Old 26th November 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Yes.

War
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard such great things about the original MKI - I'm a bit pissed now that I missed the additional LDC - damn and the 15/11 is my birthday!

If so, which I'm pretty sure War said it does, which other mics use this SAME cap?

Thanks War - so again though, which other Mics (Different brands -all PMI Group probably) use this same cap. I'm really interested to know
Old 29th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Yes.

War
what's a c4 capsule?
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

First TS1 received

I just received the first of two TS1 Mk11's that I purchased through ZenPro, with two hyper caps ordered as well- which I plan to trial on snare.

I will be tracking a grand paino with two TS1's in omni, and will trial the LDC on vocals.

Must say I am impressed by the feel and build quality of the LDC- I hope it is a nice clean sound on vocals, cause it will be a good compliment to my other tube LDC which are more in the coloured categories of sound (Pearlman TM1, Beez Neez James and Jade).

Time will tell.....

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 7th December 2010
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Thanks War - so again though, which other Mics (Different brands -all PMI Group probably) use this same cap. I'm really interested to know
I really don't know, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
what's a c4 capsule?
Studio Projects C4 small diaphragm condenser mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
I just received the first of two TS1 Mk11's that I purchased through ZenPro, with two hyper caps ordered as well- which I plan to trial on snare.
Pleasure taking care of you!

War
Old 13th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sound Clip-Piano

I got one TS1 MK11 (still waiting on other). Tuned piano tonight, and threw up a TS1 MK11 with omni cap- literally the tube was just turned on and I pointed the mike towards the high end keys instead of the low end- but this mike has plenty of low end. my piano in my room was always muddy - so I was keen to see how this mike went which I hoped would not be muddy.

Ignore the rough mike placement and rough playing- this is just a flavour of the TS1 Mk11 on piano.

Cheers

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Attached Files

01 Track 1.mp3 (5.51 MB, 1694 views)

Old 14th December 2010
WoW dig it! and nice playing.. i was thinking of getting one with the large d cap. to compete with my tlm 103 and 414 xl2 ..
Old 7th January 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Any more news on these mics? Thinking about picking up a pair. What kind of SPLs can these handle? I couldn't find any info.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting system, I really like the highs of the piano, sorry if this sounds stupid, but it reminds me of film/television live broadcast sounds of the seventies and eighties (of Europe) and that's meant as a compliment.

Any vocal samples with the LDC capsule available?
Old 11th January 2011

i own it it sounds just like a km84 on acoustic guitar to my ears
Old 19th January 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
Any vocal samples with the LDC capsule available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
We tested the TS1 MKII with all capsules on drums, guitars and vocals on the Clip-A-Lator gear test page on my site.
War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search