The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best power amp in the $500-$700 price range to power Truth Audio TA-1P? Studio Amplifiers
Old 9th December 2005
Gear Head

Best power amp in the $500-$700 price range to power Truth Audio TA-1P?

I just scored a deal on a pair of used Truth Audio TA-1P monitors. I need a power amp and was considering the QSC, Stewart 1.2 or Hafler P3000 or 4000.

I only have $500-$700 and do not want used.

Truth recommends "The power handling capability rated at 160 watts continuous power into 4 ohms".

I'm not up on my power amps being I've always used Powered monitors so suggestions are welcome.

THANK YOU SLUTZ AND HAVE A MERRY XMAS OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE NOT SO XMAS MINDED!
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

Most of my experience with amplifiers in that price range is for used products, so not much help (Carver, Adcom, McIntosh, etc.)

Some QSC are excellent. I don't really know about the newer import models. I've not tried the Stewart you're looking at, I have owned one of their small ones a long time, I wouldn't buy it again. Hafler is out of business, so if you don't want used....

Adcom are typically good amps, not sure what's in that price range new; the older 535/535-II/535-IIL/545 etc. have good history, but again are discontinued.

I've been curious a while about AudioSource, have heard good things. I can't offer any opinions since I've never owned one. They're in Oregon, owned by PhoenixGold now, who also bought most of Carver several years ago -- http://www.audiosource.net/amplifiers.html Maybe someone else has tried and can comment. I think you can get them at Circuit City now, they'll do a 30-day trial or whatever.

Steve
Old 9th December 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the tips.

I'll check the others listed above too.
Old 9th December 2005
Gear Head

Anyone have any good or bad expierence with their Hafler? Their amps are still availabe and I see the 3000 & 4000 being available here and there.
Old 9th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Have you hooked up the Truth's yet? Have you heard them, and if so, do you like them?

I've considered getting some before...it's tough, though, since they're hard to demo.

-Stephen
Old 10th December 2005
Gear Head

They are on their way so I'm going in blind and only on the great reviews and posts I've read on them. I was hoping to order an amp before they arrive. I'm hoping to get a lot out of them. Maybe someone else will chime in here.
Old 10th December 2005
Lives for gear

I got a pair of truth Ta-1Ps this year and they are the best thing to happen to my mixes. I started with a QSC 1400 amp but it was fan driven and I couldn't find a quiet mod for it so I sold it (my last monitors were active). After reading specs and researching around I stumbled over the largest power Alesis RA500 (don't laugh) and it spec'd out better than others in it's price range and no fan. Since I don't yet have the budget for a Bryston I thought it was worth a shot. I was nervous about this purchase because I've had some really crappy Alesis stuff (and some decent stuff as well). Shannon at Truth Audio checked out the specs and told me that this amp looked like a good match (not the best there is on Earth but should work well). I've been very happy with it so far. I'm sure a better amp for way more $ would be great but this one's doing well for me so far ;-)
I also bought a powered sub (Velodyne 10") to go with my truths for composing and periodic checks below 50hz when mixing. I have been very happy with this set up. My Truths would be hard to peel from me.
Old 10th December 2005
Gear Head

If all QSC's have fans I'll have to exclude them. I don't know if I can deal with the Alesis name but I'll look into that amp. From the searches I've been doing, the Hafler is either loved or hated by many. I never thought it would be so confusing deciding on a simple power amp.

I can use some more help here in this department. Thanks!
Old 11th December 2005
Gear Head

Any AMP HEADS out there?
Old 11th December 2005
Gear Guru

I'm a big fan of Carver power amps. I've had great luck with them and on the used market, you can get a whole lot of watts per dollar.
Old 11th December 2005
Why does it have to be new?

You can find a lot of great used condition amps in your price range which would be a better buy than the choices you've given.

For around $350 you can buy this:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1136755774

Its a Hafler 9300 which in its day was a really nice amp(the best Halfer's were the 9300 and 9500 if you ask me).

For around $700-$750 you can get this;

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1136597897

A Bryston 3BST or if you want a 4B:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1138378997

And if you want take it up a notch and make the guy a fair offer:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1139178691

A Classe 101 which would be my choice for your monitors. thumbsup
Old 12th December 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the links! I'd like new because I don't want the hassles of potential repair or wind up with someone else's headache. I'll even up my budget to 1k if I can find the right amp.
Old 12th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdragon
Thanks for the links! I'd like new because I don't want the hassles of potential repair or wind up with someone else's headache. I'll even up my budget to 1k if I can find the right amp.

I wouldn't worry about it as much.

Most Audiogon guys are audiophiles and they baby their gear more than most studios do.

A lot of time the gear is almost new(since most audiophiles are picky about any cosmetic nicks since it may affect the "pure"sound). heh
Old 13th December 2005
jdg
Lives for gear

audiogon is good!
got a used bryston on there too.

its not like ebay.. these ppl are freeks for gear.. (and thusly cycle thru it pretty quickly...)

good deals can be had on that site
Old 13th December 2005
Lives for gear

Well, I agree with the good values in used amplifiers, that's what I've always used myself. But spider has a valid question here -- what to buy new that's good in that $500-700 price range. Obviously no ventilation fans need apply, if it's going in the mix or tracking room.

I'm not sure what I'd choose if I wanted that. I guess I'd consider some of these generally reliable brands that have been around a while:

Home Theater Audio:
Adcom
B&K
NAD
Rotel
Parasound
Acurus
Onkyo
Phase Linear
I'd still like to know more about the AudioSource...

Live SR/Pro Audio:
Ashly
Crown
Electrovoice
Crest
QSC
Yamaha
A new one I have not used but are being used in PMC active monitors now: Flying Mole

But I'd want to hear them with my monitors in my room before keeping. Out of that huge list, I think I'd start with Rotel, NAD, Adcom, Parasound, Ashly, Crown, and QSC.

Probably no help spiderdragon, just some ideas.

Steve
Old 13th December 2005
Lives for gear

Agreeing with thrill -- the 9500 is the class of the Haflers --- but AFAIK, the 9500 is the "consumer -targeted" version of the 9505 ... the difference being balanced inputs on the 9505.

Should be in your price-range on the used market... and I wouldn't lose too much sleep about buying used.. no moving parts to speak of, and they're pretty durably built.

-dave
Old 14th December 2005
Gear Head

Okay, you all convinced me, used it is but not from any 0 feedback sellers.

After all this it looks like the Hafler is taking the back burner. The Classe CA 101 is best so far but it has a pending sale. I also came across the Adcom GFA-5500 but that has unbalanced inputs only, I think.

What's the difference in the Bryston 4B and 4B ST?
Old 16th June 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug View Post
...I've been curious a while about AudioSource, have heard good things. I can't offer any opinions since I've never owned one. They're in Oregon, owned by PhoenixGold now, who also bought most of Carver several years ago -- http://www.audiosource.net/amplifiers.html Maybe someone else has tried and can comment. I think you can get them at Circuit City now, they'll do a 30-day trial or whatever.
Steve
I realize this is an old thread, but since I bought a pair of Audiosource Monoblocks today, I thought I'd share my findings, as so little has been said about them. I bought them to power a nice pair of B&W bookshelf speakers. On paper they were exactly what I wanted, 70 watts at 8 ohms, with a nice array of ins and outs. They're attractively priced, and they look and feel nice enough, but unfortunately they sound horrible. No headroom, no power, no clarity, and there's an ever present high pitch whine. Perhaps I got two bad ones, but it seems unlikely that they'd exhibit the exact same faults and characteristics. I'd be interested to know if anyone has had a positive experience with these. Mine are going back to the shop immediately...
Old 16th June 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear those aren't working out, thanks for the information. I never did try any of those Audiosource amps. The "good" reviews I had seen were for long-discontinued models, like many companies they possibly went on the long slide down to cheaped-out products to try to eke out more profits. A losing game IMO.

Knowing what I do now after that old thread, I would recommend saving a little more than that $500-700 budget, and without any doubt buy a used Bel Canto eVo amp on Audiogon for $750-850. Cost about $2600 when new a few years ago. Very likely the last power amplifier that you will ever need to buy, incredible sound.

When you get a chance, for sure try a pair of Zu Audio speaker cables. These can produce a great improvement in the sound of any amp/speaker combination.

Steve
Old 16th June 2007
Gear interested

Lehmann audio Black stamp, only 20w per side in 4Ohm but it runs my Audio Physic Steps real well.

It should be around that price point to.
Old 4th July 2007
Gear nut

I ended up, for now, just using a new $260 Harman Kardon integrated amp (for the B&W speakers). At 120w per side it's got plenty of juice, and it's fairly clean - what it lacks in fidelity it makes up for w/ gozinta gozoutas, and a cool glowing blue volume knob Works for my purposes, tho I'll upgrade it eventually...

Last edited by fretman; 4th July 2007 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search