The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vocal Mic similar to U47 FET
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Vocal Mic similar to U47 FET

Looking to get ideas for a new microphone to compliment what I'm already using, and that has a fairly specific character. Something that is similar to a Neumann U47 FET - with that thick, solid, meaty sound and forgiving top end - but has a more open, modern top end...

Some mics I'm going to try (or been recommended) are the Brauner Phanthera, Gefell M930, AT 4047, Neumann M147.

If none of these do it I'll get a 47 FET and possibly even get it modified..

Suggestions and discussions welcome
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Def the AT4047. If you need to go a step up, try the Bock 195 in thick mode. Does wonders.
Old 31st July 2010
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Vocal Mic similar to U47 FET

In order of price
Wunder fet
Bock 195
Lawson fet47
AT4047

Also I would give Ben at Beesneez a shout he can tune something to taste as can Lawson.
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Addict

While I like the Soundelux/Bock 195, I find it very unlike a fet47. Have you tried a MG um70 or even an old u87? To me, the fet 47 is more about the quality of the midrange, the absence of excess top and bottom, and the pads. I find the fet 47 to be solid sounding, but not really big sounding. Have you actually had consistantly good results with fet 47s on your voice? Voices and mics can be surprisingly unpredictable. As always, YMMV.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

The Oktava MK-319 has a similar response curve: a midrange bump, a dip at 6k-7k, followed by a 10k peak. Getting a modded one from Oktavamod would be the way to go. The Oktavamod K47 capsule would be another candidate, but it's relatively smooth on top, without the peaks and valleys of the other response graphs.
Old 31st July 2010
The BLUE Mouse (the version with the transformer). I'm not sure it sounds like an exact FET47 clone, but like the AT4047 people find it to be a good substitute.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info, going to add the CM7 FET and the blue mouse to the list...
Old 31st July 2010
Gear Head

I don't see the u47 fet as a good vocal mic. Find a good mic that sounds alike the u47 not fet.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasco View Post
I don't see the u47 fet as a good vocal mic. Find a good mic that sounds alike the u47 not fet.
Actually neither do I particularly, but as an option I would find it useful to have something similar but more open on the top end..
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Actually neither do I particularly, but as an option I would find it useful to have something similar but more open on the top end..
I think the Bock is a great option when considering this request. The 4047 should be right up there as well.
Old 31st July 2010
Lives for gear

BTW not looking for a 47 FET clone, as originally posted I'm looking for a mic that has the same kind of thick tone and solid handling of dynamics with a high end more suited to modern vocal recording. That is to say extended, open and rich - not abrasive like some modern condensers
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Nut

Blue Bottle stage 1 with B0 capsule. Try this I think a U47 without a tube is really a bad idea. The B7 capsule gonna gives you an idea why a U47 need a tube.
Sorry for the bump :D
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
BTW not looking for a 47 FET clone, as originally posted I'm looking for a mic that has the same kind of thick tone and solid handling of dynamics with a high end more suited to modern vocal recording. That is to say extended, open and rich - not abrasive like some modern condensers
You listed the Gefell M930 - but there is also the M939Ts - which is the same microphone, but with a transformer and would be worth listening to.
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

After two years, one might assume the OP has found a suiting microphone.

Anyway, Beesneez Elly comes to mind as an U47fet inspired mike.
Someone here once A/B-ed it with a Gefell M1030 (but his posts were erased).
The latter sounded completely different (and floored me on baritone vox).
Both nice in their own way, though.
Those two in a locker would cover lots of ground.

Henk
Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

Hi I've been looking at the Wunder CM7 Fet. Any thoughts on this vs a U87?
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
In this case you should try the Advanced Audio cm67 for more open top end and the cm47se for the real vintage u47 sound. I got both and
they are truly fantastic mics (and even the price is very reasonable). They rank among the best I have ever used...for my ears...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search