The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chinese ribbon mic transformer shoot out Ribbon Microphones
Old 11th January 2011
Well my impressions are pretty well documented here. I ultimately think it is worth doing. If you are not sure, do more listening. Do more recording. Come back to this puzzle sometime in the future after you have gained some more experience and give it a second consideration. Or better yet, if you have the money, get another ribbon mic and swap out the transformer and keep another one in its stock form--then you will have BOTH options! I do think the stock transformer could have its uses in the right circumstance. Ultimately, to my ears, I felt like I had more uses for the RSM-5 with the swapped out transformer.

Ideally, I would have these RSM-5 mics (which are a 'short ribbon' style motor which tend to have a darker, more midrange pronounce sound) and also get my hands on a long ribbon motor style mic, such as the Apex 205, and with that mic I would pull the inner mesh and drop in a transformer to emphasize more clarity in the upper midrange and above in the special way only a ribbon mic seems to do. The guy I share a studio with is planning on buying an Apex 205, so maybe I will be getting my hands on one soon!
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting this.
I feel I prefer one transformer on certain sources and the other on other recordings. The replaced transforer really brings out the drums more though imo, which makes it seem quite useful.
Old 12th January 2011
I have posted a couple different shoot outs like this--I try to not bother with stuff we can find all over the place and instead stick with the niche stuff that interests me that I either don't find anyplace or do not find very much of.

I agree with you regarding the transformers--some sources the stock transformer actually will do quite well on. But the Cinemag transformer, for me, does better on more of what I am doing, to my ears. And the Cinemag transformer version still sounds good on the stuff I thought the stock transformer was more appealing on, so Cinemag it is... for me.

Of course it would have been fun to add a Lundahl (did I spell that correctly???) to the shoot out, but I simply did not have enough money or desire to add a third element to the mix. I do think that would be a cool comparison, but I guess it will never happen on my watch. The transformers I am trying to dig up $$$ for right now are all destined for mic preamplifiers! That is my thing these days.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Chinese ribbon mic transformer shoot out

Google Slau's podcast ribbon shootout and transformer discussion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search