The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 16ch i/o firewire interface without mic pres? Audio Interfaces
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Maniac

Best 16ch i/o firewire interface without mic pres?

Hello! What is the best reasonably priced 16ch i/o firewire interface (or it could be two 8ch interfaces together aswell) without mic pres? I´m not looking for ultra expensive solutions, but good enough for professional work. Spdif, optical and midi i/o would be nice too. I use Logic 9 on a macbook pro.
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Maniac

Best 16ch i/o firewire interface without mic pres?

Anyone?
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

RME FireFace800. The pre amps can be bypassed. Best bang for buck at about $1000 USD.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora 8 or 16, very very good bang for the buck, and a step up from RME stuff, even if RME stuff is already very nice.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Metric Halo LIO8 x 2
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Maniac

On the less expensive side the Echo AudioFire12 - only 12 inputs though.
Old 21st July 2010
I really like the Apogee AD-16x. You have to buy an optional X-Firewire card, though.
Old 21st July 2010
Lives for gear

Ross, you sir have a twisted reality of "reasonably priced"
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Head

this is a thread-jack... but a friendly on-topic one.

i'm looking to upgrade to 16 channels from 8. i currently use Cubase SX2 (and NOT looking to "upgrade") with a Digi 002 rack (and don't get me started on Protools LE vs Cubase. I use a lot of tracks).

Lately I've been mixing more on my Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 more, but with only 8 outs on my interface, it's kind of limiting (remember, I use a lot of tracks.

I was thinking of getting a second 002R and synching them so Cubase can then have 16 in's and out's. I entertained that idea for about 1/10th of a second before I realized that's silly since I'd be paying a premium for a redundant license for software I never use.

I make dirty ass hip hop, so I don't really need the cleanest converters out there. Is there an interface out there that has a cool crunchy, aggressive sound, or are they all just trying to get it as clean as possible? My humble opinion is that gear that tries to balance a "clean" sound with affordability tends to suck the soul out of a sound. Even on the high end, I'll take a cool gritty sound over a smooth hi-fi sound 99 times out of 100. People have that conversation about samplers all the time (think SP-1200 vs MPC 2000), but strangely folks don't tend to discuss that when it comes to an interface.
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalez View Post
this is a thread-jack... but a friendly on-topic one.

i'm looking to upgrade to 16 channels from 8. i currently use Cubase SX2 (and NOT looking to "upgrade") with a Digi 002 rack (and don't get me started on Protools LE vs Cubase. I use a lot of tracks).

Lately I've been mixing more on my Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 more, but with only 8 outs on my interface, it's kind of limiting (remember, I use a lot of tracks.

I was thinking of getting a second 002R and synching them so Cubase can then have 16 in's and out's. I entertained that idea for about 1/10th of a second before I realized that's silly since I'd be paying a premium for a redundant license for software I never use.

I make dirty ass hip hop, so I don't really need the cleanest converters out there. Is there an interface out there that has a cool crunchy, aggressive sound, or are they all just trying to get it as clean as possible? My humble opinion is that gear that tries to balance a "clean" sound with affordability tends to suck the soul out of a sound. Even on the high end, I'll take a cool gritty sound over a smooth hi-fi sound 99 times out of 100. People have that conversation about samplers all the time (think SP-1200 vs MPC 2000), but strangely folks don't tend to discuss that when it comes to an interface.
I think that the advantage of neutral converters is that you can decide how clean or dirty the sound will be, depending of the device you connect to your converters...

I´ve done searching and I think RME Multiface 2 could be good interface for me... it has only 8 analog outputs, but I guess I just have to manage with that and record reverbs etc. to tracks if I run out of outputs...
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I really like the Apogee AD-16x. You have to buy an optional X-Firewire card, though.
While your post didn't make sense last week, it does now -- sort of:

Multi-channel Audio Interface, AD/DA Converter, Sound Quality > Symphony I/O > Apogee Electronics
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Nut

ive been using an m-audio 2626 for a year now without problems (with protools 7 & 8)
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronski View Post
I think that the advantage of neutral converters is that you can decide how clean or dirty the sound will be, depending of the device you connect to your converters...
in theory, that makes complete sense. in reality, there's no such thing as neutral. every piece of electronics in the analog realm colors the signal. but yeah, some stuff is more neutral than others, so i get what you're saying.
Old 27th July 2010
Gear Head

so now i'm thinking of just getting an alesis ai3 or behringer ada8000 augment my 002r setup to 16 ins & outs. does anyone know if this will work with Cubase SX2?
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear
ultra expensive for 16ch of pro conversion would be over 6,500 US new these days. $2,000 of pro would get you a 8 channel interface. I will say though the behringer is not pro gear but much better than digi002. I have a digi002 myself and use apogee converters with it. I guess the behringer would be like $400 or something for 16 channels but i don't think you can bypass the pres from what I heard. If your looking for prosumer grade priced the profire 2626 has pres you can bypass it would be like 1,200 or so.
Old 27th July 2010
Here for the gear

RME Converters

thumbsup on the RME!! Great Value & Sound & Price.
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear
oh yeah that's right the rme... If you can't afford the apooge,lynx,mytek or above go with those, they are pretty good and a great deal. I almost went with them myself. I completely forgot about those!
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

how do you plug an apogee AD 16x to the computer?? and headphone jack??? can you recommend something that will do headphones and speakers with AD 16x?
Old 22nd August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
how do you plug an apogee AD 16x to the computer?? and headphone jack??? can you recommend something that will do headphones and speakers with AD 16x?
I have the X-Firewire card for mine, so it connects to a firewire port if I want to do that, or use the ADAT optical connectors into an interface (currently a MOTU 828), which is the way I normally do it.
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by polf View Post
ive been using an m-audio 2626 for a year now without problems (with protools 7 & 8)
2 of these linked make 16 in / 16 out. And the software routing is excellent
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

So will I be using the DA of the motu right?
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Also.. Hd digilink or FireWire option... ?

Im on Mac Osx 10.6.8 protools and logic
Old 23rd August 2013
Quote:
So will I be using the DA of the motu right?
Yes, unless you have, as I do, a separate DAC. I take the SPDIF out from the MOTU to a Lavry DAC1 for monitoring. This relegates the MOTU to accommodating reamping and cue mix, a waste of most of its features. It's a temporary solution until I can afford an Appgee Symphony.
Old 23rd August 2013
Quote:
Also.. Hd digilink or FireWire option... ?

Im on Mac Osx 10.6.8 protools and logic
I have the X-FW FireWire card. I'm using Pro Tools Native. You'd need an HD card to use a Digilink card.
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

I'm in a similar position. I'm sick of my metric halo 2882. Convoluted routing, sucky mic pres, I think really my box has dicky flash memory.
So I'm looking to change as I spend as much time on fixing faults when I add a compressor or an eq - anyway, its amazing at the range of converters. I will never get an interface with mic pres again. I have excellent outboard so - lynx have always been suggested, mytek, ect. I noticed Ross Martin audio is about to release an interface - 8 chanels with master clock, aes, 192khz (not that I care about that) based on the pm4222. It'll be under a grand I reckon and should sound stunning.
It will only run on core audio as I can't imagine Ross writing a digital mixer for it!
I know this sounds ridiculous but I've only ever used my 2882 but how do you control setting and routing on such a box? Sorry if I went a bit ot.....
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Nice I think I'm gonna go with the ad16x
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Last question... So my synths are use line TS cables how do I plug it into the ad16x what type of dsub cables am I after ?
Old 24th August 2013
Quote:
Last question... So my synths are use line TS cables how do I plug it into the ad16x what type of dsub cables am I after ?
I use D-Sub to XLR. Synths put out unbalanced line level and works fine with the Apogee. I use 1/4 to XLR cables from TRS and TS equipped sources. Most of my connections are XLR, so that's what I use.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Wow so all my Mogami Ts cables are garbage now :(
Old 24th August 2013
Quote:
Wow so all my Mogami Ts cables are garbage now :(
Yeah, maybe the best way would be to go full-length (whatever distance you have to go from the synth to the Apogee) TRS to XLR (TRS cables work with TS connectors) to the DSUB snake at the Apogee. So there're only three connection points.

The way I do it is with short 2' TRS to XLR cables to longer XLR mic cables to the DSUB snake into the Apogee, which is four connection points. If you have enough spare mic cables, this might be a good way for you, as well. I rarely record from synths, so it's not a big deal for me to do this once in a while.

I don't connect my Apogee to a patch bay, but that's another option to consider to shorten the distance of the TRS>XLR connections and still use your TS cables. I have the common Neutrik TRS 48-point patch bay, which I use with the MOTU 828 analog I/O.

Depending on your particular setup, a very nerdy and expensive way would be to go from short TS to XLR cables out of your synths into balanced line drivers like the Radial J+4, then the longer XLR cables from the J+4 would carry a balanced line signal. This method would give you the cleanest, EMF-free signal from synth to converter. If I relied heavily on synths, I would consider this because I'm just that nerdy about keeping signals clean.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search