The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Coldplay XY synth sounds...
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Coldplay XY synth sounds...

Anybody have a guess as to what the dreamy synths are -- like on the first trk "square one" and trk 3 "white shadows"?
Thanks,
Micah
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

bump
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

I have the cd playing on the background when i read this post. and yes, the keys are sweet.
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

Thought i'd revive this one. Anyone got any info about this record?
Old 9th December 2005
Gear Maniac

you know what i was looking for the same thing... I love those synth sounds...

I was working on a track that I wanted something like that... and out of luck I had spectrasonic's atmosphere setup on one of the tracks, so I thought what the hay... I flipped through a couple of the sounds and in the Strings/Hybrid patches were these sounds that sound so close to Coldplays...

so I don't know what coldplay used on XY but atmosohere had similar sounds that created similar moods...

r.
Old 9th December 2005
Lives for gear

I love them!
It's about the same sound through the whole CD.
...kind of a pipe organ mixed with synth strings; don't you think?

Gear Maniac

i remember seeing a photo, mayve inside cd sleeve, or just an album promo shot of the band working in a studio/rehearsal space. there was a cs80 on top of a B3. just playing with some pads on the arturia cs80 puts you in the sonic ballpark of x&y. i am a long way from my cd collection, so i may be tripping...

sh.
Old 10th December 2005
Lives for gear

I remember hearing that they used the Korg Triton . The patch =liquified= sounds a lot like Coldplay pad .

Volodia
Old 10th December 2005
Gear Addict

I've gotten similar sounds out of an ARP 2600 VSTi, mix it in with organs and strings and you're good to go.
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Whatever it was I really don't think it was a software synth... it sounds rich and organic...

The parameters seem to be so adequate to each song/part that I also think they must have gone through a lot of preset changes, or that someone did it for them...
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

I have no idea what synth that might be...

But, I was at the taping of their "Artist Confidential" at XM Radio and they talked a little about the addition of synths to their sound. Guy (the bass player) has put together a rather large collection of vintage synths and other "antique tube" gear as they put it. Chris martin joked about him having to move out of his house cause he didn't have anymore room or something like that.

anyway, it's defiantely some old analog synth and not a software one.
Old 18th March 2006
theother
I think Chris used a Yamaha CS80 on the last record.

There is even a picture somewhere in the booklet...
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaheef
i remember seeing a photo, mayve inside cd sleeve, or just an album promo shot of the band working in a studio/rehearsal space. there was a cs80 on top of a B3. just playing with some pads on the arturia cs80 puts you in the sonic ballpark of x&y. i am a long way from my cd collection, so i may be tripping...

sh.
Man, that cannot be good for the legs of a B3... those things weigh like 200 pounds. I'm scared to even put my clav on there.
Old 18th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12
Man, that cannot be good for the legs of a B3... those things weigh like 200 pounds. I'm scared to even put my clav on there.
That's what I was just thinking.
Old 18th March 2006
theother
there you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Coldplay XY synth sounds...-coldplay.jpg  
Old 18th March 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia
I remember hearing that they used the Korg Triton . The patch =liquified= sounds a lot like Coldplay pad .

Volodia
I can't find this patch on my Triton Pro? Is in on a card? What section does it fall under, I was just looking for a Coldplayish pad like yesterday...
help?
sam
Old 27th September 2016
Here for the gear

That patch =Liquified= is on my Korg X50 - it's definitely the one they use - or really really close to it.
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Doesn't Jon Hopkins play synths on a lot of their stuff? Check out his records.....just as an example the theme from the original no budget "Monsters" movie is glorious.
Old 27th September 2016
Wow, necro thread! But let's go anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Doesn't Jon Hopkins play synths on a lot of their stuff? Check out his records.....just as an example the theme from the original no budget "Monsters" movie is glorious.
Jon Hopkins only started collaborating with them from Viva La Vida IIRC.

Brian Eno (who also produced V la V) played synths on at least one track on X&Y though (Low).
Old 27th September 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post

Brian Eno (who also produced V la V) played synths on at least one track on X&Y though (Low).
my buddy used to have a CS-80 years and years ago .. what a beast .. if that is on the finished track as a layer thats cool ..

i love those dreamy sounds on Coldplay albums ..
Old 27th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post

Eno?.....who ever heard of THAT guy?!
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Reeeeeeallly old thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the =liquified= patch from the Korg Triton series is available as a sample for other synths or software synths? I have a Roland DS88.... Thanks!
📝 Reply