The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Want to replace my Avalon 737 SP Mic Pre with another Mic Pre That isn't a Tube Pre
Old 18th July 2010
Lives for gear

Want to replace my Avalon 737 SP Mic Pre with another Mic Pre That isn't a Tube Pre

I love the sound i've been able to get with this, absolutley no complaints. I'm looking for something as good quality within the same price range i just don't want it to be a tube mic preamp. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old 18th July 2010
Lives for gear

If you love the sound you're getting and have no complaints, why are you going to "replace" it? If you meant that you want to add another pre to your arsenal, there's lots of solid-state pres that get great press around here - try a search and you'll find days of reading on different preamps. You should also specify a budget (edit: I realize now you did specify), requirements such as DI, line ins, etc... just preamp or a channel strip, or somewhere in between (high shelf, lowpass, etc). What kind of mics do you use most? Genre of music? Also, you say you don't want a tube amp, but don't say why.

If you're going to start yet ANOTHER preamp thread at least give some useful information.
Old 18th July 2010
Lives for gear

"You should also specify a budget, requirements such as DI, line ins, etc... just preamp or a channel strip, or somewhere in between (high shelf, lowpass, etc). What kind of mics do you use most? Genre of music?"

Budget...ideally under 2k. Would like it to have a DI so i can record electric guitar. Don't need extra line ins. Don't need it to have eq or a compressor on it but a real nice eq would be a bonus (with a sweepable hi pass filter would be an even bigger bonus). Basically just looking for a really great mic pre. I record mostly pop vocals think Rihanna style. I also record some percussion. I have a U87.
Old 18th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
If you love the sound you're getting and have no complaints, why are you going to "replace" it?

Also, you say you don't want a tube amp, but don't say why.
heh
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeez View Post
I love the sound i've been able to get with this, absolutley no complaints. I'm looking for something as good quality within the same price range i just don't want it to be a tube mic preamp. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
does not compute.
Old 19th July 2010
Gear Guru

I am only guessing, I assume that the OP wants another preamp because he does not want tubes and the hassle that can sometimes come into play with tubes.

I would suggest getting into the 500 series, maybe a 512 or a MA5, 525/527 compressor, that way you could have the extra room for eq and other modules.
This stuff is great and and you can always get your money back out of it unlike used VT Avalon gear.
I have a 97 les paul gold top and a guy wants to trade a new 737 for it........= nada.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Tone! Any other suggestions?
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

If you want clean gain pre-amp and a good DI... for not a lot check out the SSL Alpha Channel strip. Really a good channelstrip thats has been overlooked many times. And if you want add some harmo color to it just dail in the VHD option.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks ! i'll check that out now.
Old 20th July 2010
API or AMS Neve.

Both have excellent preamp choices...

8801 channelstrip;

Grace Designs new channelstrip
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Addict

I'd pick up a Vintech X73i which would be a perfect compliment to the Avalon. It's got a great eq and later you could add a Distressor and have two world class chains with your 737.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone!!! Anymore suggestions keep em coming!!

How would the Vintech X73i differ in sound from my Avalon?

Also unlike the tube pre...would i be able to turn it on and immediately use it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search