The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor HS80 Problem Studio Monitors
Old 17th July 2010
Here for the gear

Monitor HS80 Problem

Hey guys, first of all sorry if this is in the wrong area!
I have been a follower of gearslutz but never decided to register till today, because I ran into a bit of an issue.

I own a pair of Yamaha HS80m's, an use them on a day to day basis in my project studio, today I managed to witness one of them drop right of its 4.5 foot stand. It fell backwards and landed with the heat sink dug into my fresh wooden floors (though that's not my main concern). Due to the impact the XLR plug broke right through into the cabinet and the ac socket has also been half twisted/pushed in.

Now the monitor does switch ON, though nothing works (no sound is played, just a irregular loud hiss when switched on), I believe the amp has been seriously damaged.

Im not sure what I should do now, is it worth taking it to a Yamaha repair center and try to get a repair? or should I go and get a new monitor? (only problem with getting a new monitor is that they have had over 800hrs of use, therefore a new monitor could cause an unbalance in sound)

Please excuse any false technical assumptions that I have made.
Your help will be greatly appreciated
Old 17th July 2010
Gear Addict

Have you tried opening it up to see if it is something you could fix?
There is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable about taking things apart but it might be an easy fix. Either way I would look into getting it repaired. If the speaker itself isn't torn or punctured there is a good chance that a connection inside got broken when the IEC connector got hit it or most likely the XLR connector is grounding out on something.
Don't power it on again!
Old 17th July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
Have you tried opening it up to see if it is something you could fix?
There is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable about taking things apart but it might be an easy fix. Either way I would look into getting it repaired. If the speaker itself isn't torn or punctured there is a good chance that a connection inside got broken when the IEC connector got hit it or most likely the XLR connector is grounding out on something.
Don't power it on again!
Yes well I did have that idea but was a bit uncomfortable with it, now that think about it I've got nothing to loose. As you mentioned nothing is torn or punctured just some scratches on the cabinet, the hissing sound is what got me thinking if it could be a blown amp.

Will open it up and have a look. hopefully it is an easy fix, just frustrated as anyone else broke like me would be :P

Anything I should stay away from when I open it up, or can I just start soldering?
Old 20th July 2010
Here for the gear

I opened the monitor, and had a look, there are three circuit boards inside- Transformer, amplifier and the input/eq.

Unfortunately it wasn't what we were hoping it would be (grounded XLR), the third circuit board (input/eq) has been broken into 3 pieces, the board itself I believe is NOT repairable. I did call Yamaha and they said $300 AUD for a replacement circuit from Japan ( thought it would have been China)

A brand new monitor here in Melbourne is about $450 AUD, im not sure if I should buy a whole monitor and use it as spare parts for this and future incidents, or just order a replacement circuit board.

Any got any recommendations, or any other options I didn't come across?
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Nut

does the 300 include shipping for japan?
if not spending the 450 on a new would probably be worth it in the long run, plus if you ever blow a driver or drop it again(hey has happened once). you will have spare parts
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Nut

buy a new one, you won't know if the fall damaged anything else until the pcb arrives and then you might be $300 down and no fix
Old 20th July 2010
Here for the gear

Yeh, I'll be going to Sound Corp soon and getting a new monitor, and pulling parts out of that.
Old 20th July 2010
Lives for gear

A little late now, but I would say you should just get a new monitor because the cost difference isn't that great, and there is a chance you have destroyed a driver due to magnet shift. It might be o.k. but you need to spend $300 just to find out. Good luck!
Old 21st July 2010
Here for the gear

yes, very true!! and this is exactly what I'm doing
Old 21st July 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
Yeh, I'll be going to Sound Corp soon and getting a new monitor, and pulling parts out of that.
Maybe just use the new one and save the old broken one for parts needed later.
Old 23rd July 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjkelly View Post
Maybe just use the new one and save the old broken one for parts needed later.
Yes, this is what would be preferred, just that the other monitor has had over 1000 hours of use, will this become an unbalance when used with a new monitor?
Old 23rd July 2010
I've uploaded HS series service manual, just in case some people feel like tearing it apart. Download it here.

(PM if link expires.) thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search