The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chris Tsangarides rocks! Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th July 2010
Lives for gear

Chris Tsangarides rocks!

he did Ozzy's 'Blizzard' and Y&T 'Mean Streak', which were two of my high school staples.

Seeing him in the Anvil documentary was so cool--

I think he'd be really fun to assist.

Dude has done serious work worthy of much respect.

I nicked this from SOS talking about his guitar recording technique known as the

VORTEX: ( I added bold here and there )

"One particular production technique which Chris has perfected and used on a great number of his recordings is something he has named the Vortex. Once again, this is a method Chris has developed to enhance the excitement of a recording whilst aiming for a natural overall sound. If anything can be identified as a Tsangarides trade mark it is the Vortex. Chris tells the story: "I was working as tape-op in the 1970s with Brand X, who were Phil Collins' jazz-rock fusion side band. Each person got to do a solo on the album, but when it was the turn of guitarist John Goodsall, no-one was interested in recording his one-minute musical jerk-off so they said to me 'You can do this,' and then went to the pub. So John and I were stuck there and he was saying 'We've got to make this really heavy man, really loud man,' because he was a bit of a metal-head. He had a Marshall 4x12 with JBL speakers and a Fender guitar so it all sounded extremely harsh and lacking in bass. At first I didn't know how I was going to make it heavy, so I asked myself the question 'How does a bass bin work?' In those days there was a speaker in the back and the sound would be thrown out through a flare, so I decided to make a huge bass bin. The studio happened to have some really large separation screens, and so I made a good 25 to 30-foot wall on either side of the cabinet in the shape of a big flare — and bugger me, was it loud!

"Being young and naive I started getting all the mics out, miking the floors, the walls, the ceilings, everywhere. I mixed everything that was close to the speaker cabinet to the left and anything that wasn't to the right. We had a Cadec desk in that studio that was quadraphonic, so I plugged some of the microphones into this matrix quad joystick and was panning the **** out of John's lead playing. I stopped to get a cup of tea and it was still panning. I realised later on that different mics were cancelling each other out. They were going in and out of phase so as he was playing fast runs it was appearing on different sides of the stereo field giving the effect of panning. So I asked John to listen and he went 'Whoa, man! Trippy Circus Electric Eel, that's a f***ing vortex!'

"Over time, I honed it down a bit more sensibly to just a close mic and a couple of distant mics. I'd walk around while the guy would be playing and find a sweet spot and put the mic there. If it's a solo you get some great panning effects by balancing the two together. If it's a rhythm part you get this huge sound because the whole thing is spread across the stereo spectrum.

"Mic placement depends where I am recording and the type of music, but at that studio the ambient mics would be at 15 feet and about 30 feet and I'd mix those two. I would then double-track the lead or rhythm part and reverse the second track so the close mic was on the right instead of the left and the distant was on the left rather than the right, so you'd get the two close mics on either side but their ambiences opposite. If there were two guitarists in a band I would record them like that, so you got a wall of sound that had a transparency that would allow the drums and bass to come through. If you're recording a band live you can't use the Vortex because you'd be picking up everybody else's nonsense on the ambient mics, so it has to be an overdub. In the studio it's always there, but I use it to varying degrees."

Jules, wonder if he'd be up for a guest mod?

anyone else like some CT around here??
Old 15th July 2010
Gear Addict

Chris T is a great guy to work with!
I did half a Tiger Tailz album with him.
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrecording View Post
Chris T is a great guy to work with!
I did half a Tiger Tailz album with him.
nice one!
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

Just another +1 for kudos to Chris T and a possible guest mod.

Peace,
Cortisol
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Just saw the Anvil documentary. Excellent film
I'm one of this who had never heard of them, as its not my genre (curiously, it reminds me a bit of The God Machine.) But it sure rocks:

Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
VORTEX: ( I added bold here and there )

"One particular production technique which Chris has perfected and used on a great number of his recordings is something he has named the Vortex. ..
Love it

I believe the vortex is heard around 4:30-5:00 in the Anvil song?
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
he did Ozzy's 'Blizzard' and Y&T 'Mean Streak', which were two of my high school staples.
Max Norman produced "Blizzard of Ozz".
Old 27th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I'm one of this who had never heard of them, as its not my genre (curiously, it reminds me a bit of The God Machine.) But it sure rocks:
It's not my genre either,but I first heard Chris T from his DM "Never let me down again" form "Music of the Masses". One ballsy rmx,fo sho.
Chris T is absolutely brilliant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search