The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creating ambiences for acoustic fingerpicking guitar
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Creating ambiences for acoustic fingerpicking guitar

I’ve been reading a bunch of discussions about use of reverb on vocals and drums and couldn’t find anything about creating ambiences for acoustic fingerpicking guitar tracks. Can someone describe their search for creating a pleasing, natural ambience for an acoustic (Fingerpicking) guitar?
I’m thinking of slow ballads and medium tempo songs where reverb expands the sound in unobtrusive, invisible ways. What would be your favourite reverb, your favourite settings and if possible links to that song or instrumental.

Thank you
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

I really hate it when I hear those overly reverby acoustic tracks. Unless it is an artistic statement it screams "Kmart $5.99 bin" to me. I usually add reverb last. I'll add in the room mic/s to see what I'm getting. Try a very small amount of chorus with a very slow rate just for a small amount of sparkle. Sometimes your done with this. A little delay tucked behind the track can be good as well as a stereo delay at about 30ms on one side and 15 ms on the other can be a good place to start. After I try these things and keep what works I'll add the room mic/s back in and then add some reverb. It makes you use much less and keeps it hidden. Sometimes I just put verb on the room mic.

I hope something was useful.

Cheers
Old 9th July 2010
Not the high tech suggestion you're expecting, but very effective technique, and maybe the best way to record acoustic in the first place, is acoustically re-record your dry guitar track using a stereo-surround room mic. This is the technique suggested for adding dimensionality and ambience to dry midi tracks; see Let's now talk MIDI discussed midway down this page: DSM Microphone Stereo-Surround MultiTrack Recording Method

Recording acoustic guitar tracks directly is also a good alternative to dry techniques as examples of multisong multitrack session example illustrates at: Dale Inskeep's Collings Guitar multitrack recording session

Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

LISTEN!!!!! IN THE ROOM!!!!

..place the guitar in an area of the room where it naturally "reverberates PLEASANT FREQUENCIES" close to the source..i find corners a good spot to start in ..then..a slight crush on an la2 stlye compressors brings out the ambience around the mikes

other choice is to close mic and then room mike

to me the simplier and less mikes the more realistic the sound..both work but close miking with mixed room miking of the guitar can be detrimental if not done and balanced correctly especially if the guitar is naked with only a vocal in the track

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search